U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 05:23 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,190,450 times

Advertisements

I love Prime! I love the 2-day delivery. I love watching the special, just for Prime, tv series like Bosch and Transparent. It's worth every penny to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 05:27 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,233,063 times
I've used it for years. Very few items that I buy don't qualify for prime shipping. I also use Prime Video, especially when everything is in reruns. Great for sending gifts.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:30 PM

23,741 posts, read 15,346,331 times
Thanks you guys. I wondered if Amazon Prime would be worth it for retirees, so I am glad I asked. Could you tell me more about what you guys order? Clothes? Books? Toys? stuff from other retailers? We don't have pets.

It is good to know that the streaming is worthwhile. We already have Netflix, and I wonder why have two services. But DH loves to stream music.

So far, I've located Penzey's spices which I currently drive a long way to obtain; Levis or Lees for DH; Metrosene sewing thread; Krinos Greek products which are unobtainable here; Hodgson Mills products. I haven't searched for towels or sheets yet or undergarments or socks.

Still have to do some research. I appreciate your info, I really do.

How about sharing the most unusual thing you have bought with Amazon Prime? Thanks again.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:43 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,468,697 times
Basically it's worth it if you'd ordinarily spend more than $8.25 per month on shipping and/or the movies and music you get free access to with Prime are worth that to you. It makes sense for me.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:56 PM

10,906 posts, read 8,300,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Thanks you guys. I wondered if Amazon Prime would be worth it for retirees, so I am glad I asked. Could you tell me more about what you guys order? Clothes? Books? Toys? stuff from other retailers? We don't have pets.
------------
How about sharing the most unusual thing you have bought with Amazon Prime? Thanks again.
Probably what I buy most is kitchen supplies (countertop appliances, colanders, knife sharpeners, chopsticks, meat thermometers, spatulas, you name it); electronic accessories like battery chargers and cables, iPhone cases, earbuds, and flash memory cards; household items like shoe bags, baskets, drawer organizers; and food stuff like hot teas and spices that are difficult to find locally.
I buy my Sebamed liquid cleanser, which is the only soap I put on my face and body; their price is cheaper than Costco's. I buy my Leven Rose jojoba oil because I can't find it locally.
I order my toothpaste from the UK, via Amazon. It has an additive recommended by my dentist, not available in the US.

I've lost track of how many Acer Chromebook laptops I've bought from Amazon - maybe a dozen? They're cheap to start with and every time Amazon puts them on sale I buy one. I usually don't spend more than $125 or so. They're indestructible. I keep a couple for spares and travel for DH & me; a couple for guests to use, and I give or sell or lend them to relatives and friends when they lose or crash their expensive laptops. I'm on a trip right now and am using one to type this, it's so much easier than lugging along my Macbook.

Can't think offhand of the "most unusual" but I recently bought a leather recliner. It's fabulous. Several years ago I bought a Concept 2 model rowing machine that normally retails for around $900; Amazon had a lightning special on it for $600 and I had $500 in Amazon Visa credits so it cost me $100. I've bought several Coleman deluxe cots, they're as comfortable as beds and great for guests. Yes, those were all Prime items and the shipping was free and super fast.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:58 PM

6,618 posts, read 3,627,680 times
Had it for years. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I may go to the store sometimes, but even then, I'll touch what I want then by it on prime because it's usually cheaper.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:02 PM

5,927 posts, read 4,695,811 times
I got it this year on special for $67 and like it for streaming. We just have basic cable on one TV and Apple TV on the bedroom TV, so I stream Amazon Prime on my cellphone and watch it on the bedroom TV.

I have also used Prime pantry, and get to buy add on items without having to spend the $25. Love it.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:04 PM

372 posts, read 460,705 times
I've shopped with Amazon for over 10 years, but other than the free trials, have not used Prime, since I've never needed anything any faster than their free shipping speed provided.

I have an Amazon card, but I do not apply the credits toward purchases since I would lose the 3% cash back on those purchases. Instead, I get a statement credit every so often.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:06 PM

536 posts, read 648,693 times
I have never used the movies/music options.

I order books (electronic and 3-D), music, paraben-free shampoo, vitamins, small appliances I can't find locally (I bought a Scooba, a robot floor-cleaner, with my Christmas money + some of my own and it arrived 18 hours after I ordered).

I buy tiny half-moon filters for my tiny Chemex coffee-maker, real pumpernickel bread from Bavaria, silicone sink plugs, etc. I am just listing the purchases I have made in the last months.

I just remembered a real coup. My Publix market stopped carrying Hunts no-salt-added ketchup and I got tired of hunting for it all over town. (The Heinz which every store locally carries has a salt substitute in it that is awful tasting.) There it was on Amazon of all places, and on Prime. I got it in a day, time enough to make shrimp cocktail sauce for a weekend brunch.

I tried Amazon Prime free for 30 days in 2013, when I had a Christmas gift crunch and wanted things to get there on time. I intended to cancel it in Jan. But within a month, I was already addicted to how much time it saves. It's very convenient and because all products have reviews, it's also easier to make a sensible purchase that will work for me.

I don't like how the fee went up last year, but it is worth that to me in convenience. I work 1 1/2 jobs and it has just saved me a lot of hassles in the last two years.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:08 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've come here with questions before, and you guys always answer thoughtfully. When I asked about hearing aids, I got some good advice, with pointers to Costco, and we are going to follow up there after DH has his eye surgery.

But about Amazon Prime: do you have it, and do you like it? Has it been useful to you, and is it worth the up front cost of $100? I know some family members who do use it extensively to buy things. I am not sure about the streaming, but I do know they buy certain things that way. Part of my question concerns pricing. We do pay to shop at Costco, but we have confidence that we aren't paying too much for anything--in fact we feel that we usually we get good deals.

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do you feel you get good value? It looks like you can buy a multitude of things that way, although not everything in the world.

Any insight about this? Thanks in advance!
Mrs5150 has it. The big plus for me is all of the movies and TV shows I can watch for free on our TV and phones. (We are cord cutters) Even if I have to pay to rent a particular movie. A nice complement to the iTunes store and Netflix. Netflix is $84 a year and they don't offer two day shipping for free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or