U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 04:01 PM

32,277 posts, read 14,526,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Amazon will help you with the 3rd party if you aren't happy. I have always been able to get a refund or replacement when I was unhappy with an item. Only once did I have to contact Amazon about a 3rd party. One caveat on my experience is that I do a lot of business with Amazon and I have been told they look at that. I think it's true; when I return something they credit it to my account while it is still in transit. I told one of my coworkers that when he was returning something and was going to buy something else and he ended up getting a little annoyed with me because they did not do that for him. He was annoyed because he needed to wait for the credit; if he had asked for a refund back to his card it would have taken longer to process, but he would have gone ahead and bought the other item while the refund was still being processed.
That's true, that was the only time I had a problem with a 3rd party seller, and I think Amazon cut off their selling privileges after I told them what had happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 04:09 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I woke up this morning to find out that the Prime membership fee overdrew my checking account. I went in, deleted the account, and called customer service. The credit for the membership fee, along with the overdraft fee is going to be credited to my account.

Goodbye forever, Amazon.
That is pretty bad financial planning IMO if a $95 charge could overdraw your checking account. Unless you are living (SS) check to check. In which case - you probably shouldn't have something like an Amazon Prime account. Robyn

Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 PM

15,240 posts, read 20,189,343 times
Quote:
... I mostly order from eBay and Walmart...

Be careful with Walmart.com. They're not pro-active about hacking and fraud. Twice last year my Walmart.com account was hacked and someone tried to order expensive computers. I have a credit card with a very low limit just for places like Walmart and, fortunately, the card was declined both times. I knew this because I saw the computers in my shopping cart both times, once with an Orgeon shipping address and once with a Connecticut shipping address. (I live in Texas.)

When I contacted Walmart, they couldnt have cared less. I asked for someone in IT or Security and was transferred to a bookkeeper who told me that no one could help me -- not then and not ever. I strongly suspect that the hacker works for Walmart, probably in IT or Security, and Walmart doesnt want the bad publicity.

Walmart has recently added Paypal as a payment option. I have a Paypal Security Key, which changes my login info every time, thus greatly reducing my chances of being hacked. But I'm still reluctant to buy from Walmart.com.

Last edited by TFW46; 03-31-2016 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Edited to correct punctuation.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:42 PM

15,240 posts, read 20,189,343 times
Quote:
I never even ordered anything. I checked the price on something and put it in my cart, but didn't order it. It's less on eBay.

When I first started buying there on eBay (back in 1998 -- I now have over 5,000 feedback as a buyer), it was the best place to find a good deal. I still shop there for collectibles and plants and for vintage items that I cant find anywhere else. But now there are so many drop-shippers and large companies selling on eBay that the prices for new merchandise there are often higher than on Amazon -- and Amazon's prices are usually no bargain.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:45 PM

13,481 posts, read 25,860,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Be careful with Walmart.com. They're not pro-active about hacking and fraud. Twice last year my Walmart.com account was hacked and someone tried to order expensive computers. I have a credit card with a very low limit just for places like Walmart and, fortunately, the card was declined both times. I knew this because I saw the computers in my shopping cart both times, once with an Orgeon shipping address and once with a Connecticut shipping address. (I live in Texas.)

When I contacted Walmart, they couldnt have cared less. I asked for someone in IT or Security and was transferred to a bookkeeper who told me that no one could help me -- not then and not ever. I strongly suspect that the hacker works for Walmart, probably in IT or Security, and Walmart doesnt want the bad publicity.

Walmart has recently added Paypal as a payment option. I have a Paypal Security Key, which changes my login info every time, thus greatly reducing my chances of being hacked. But I'm still reluctant to buy from Walmart.com.
I've never had a problem with Walmart.com at all. If I can use PayPal to order something, that's my preference, but not everyone takes it.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:47 PM

13,481 posts, read 25,860,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
When I first started buying there on eBay (back in 1998 -- I now have over 5,000 feedback as a buyer), it was the best place to find a good deal. I still shop there for collectibles and plants and for vintage items that I cant find anywhere else. But now there are so many drop-shippers and large companies selling on eBay that the prices for new merchandise there are often higher than on Amazon -- and Amazon's prices are usually no bargain.
I buy on eBay all the time, but only for specific items. I used to be a seller, but their fees got too high, so when I want to sell something, I sell it on FB.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:58 PM

5,629 posts, read 2,980,185 times
We use Prime and have mixed feelings. Sometimes they take a week to even ship an order which is annoying. And they have sent the wrong items twice in the last two months. But on the good side, we live in Hawaii and it is a really cheap way for us to get products that we cannot find here. It takes some patience.

The movies are a bonus. They have done a good job with the Bosch series. We are hoping for more original productions from them.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:53 PM

33,466 posts, read 21,039,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That is pretty bad financial planning IMO if a $95 charge could overdraw your checking account. Unless you are living (SS) check to check. In which case - you probably shouldn't have something like an Amazon Prime account. Robyn

That's not really any of your business is it?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-31-2016, 11:58 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,053,311 times
I don't think I would pay for Prime but I got a free year when I changed my wifi service and I am enjoying it. I cancelled Netflix and watch the free programs offered by Prime. I may be buying more but, so far, I am making small purchases that I would have shopped for locally. No splurges.

If I order through Prime, it tells me before checkout that I may find the item at a better price through another vendor on Amazon. That seems more than fair to me.

I have already checked the non renewal box on my account........ I think. I'm going to look now. Maybe I should have posted this in the Senior Moments thread.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:31 AM

4,015 posts, read 2,998,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's not really any of your business is it?
With all due respect, when you post something you sort of make it other people's business. The point is that charges do sometimes get posted to accounts by mistake and it doesn't make the mistake a worse offense due to the account balance. Odds are that their real offense was being sneaky and offering you free shipping with a catch or something that had the box checked without you realizing it. It is extremely unlikely that they just pulled up some random customer account and charged them for Prime out of the blue. But when people say they did that, they are happy to reverse the charges and are even smart enough to pick up other charges people incurred in hopes that the person won't go sully their name on the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or