U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 10:54 AM

33,477 posts, read 21,039,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
With all due respect, when you post something you sort of make it other people's business. The point is that charges do sometimes get posted to accounts by mistake and it doesn't make the mistake a worse offense due to the account balance. Odds are that their real offense was being sneaky and offering you free shipping with a catch or something that had the box checked without you realizing it. It is extremely unlikely that they just pulled up some random customer account and charged them for Prime out of the blue. But when people say they did that, they are happy to reverse the charges and are even smart enough to pick up other charges people incurred in hopes that the person won't go sully their name on the Internet.

That's why I love Amazon, there customer service has always been impeccable.

But to tell someone if there account is so low they shouldn't be doing something really seems over the line. I remember when I was young and knew how much I could spend down to the penny, and spent accordingly.

Any wrong move would have put me in the red.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:35 PM

306 posts, read 344,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That is pretty bad financial planning IMO if a $95 charge could overdraw your checking account. Unless you are living (SS) check to check. In which case - you probably shouldn't have something like an Amazon Prime account. Robyn
They send a reminder notice or two to let you know it's about to happen which gives you time to cancel if needed.

I love prime because I have a nice and nephew in LA that I can ship to with my 2 day shipping, that makes holidays and b-days so much easier. I use the video rarely but use the prime music at the gym and work

Old 04-01-2016, 08:43 PM

6,801 posts, read 5,414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
They send a reminder notice or two to let you know it's about to happen which gives you time to cancel if needed.

I love prime because I have a nice and nephew in LA that I can ship to with my 2 day shipping, that makes holidays and b-days so much easier. I use the video rarely but use the prime music at the gym and work
That might be only if you did not select the automatic renewal option. And it is automatic unless you request otherwise.

I did get a notice this time and I made sure to delete the card info they had linked to it while also canceling. This way I was sure I wouldn't get charged.

When they did renew without my permission a few years ago, they did refund quickly. I just don't like auto pay and I don't see how that one slipped by.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:11 PM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
Someone was asking about things on Amazon being more expensive than other places. I have a very recent example. I wanted to buy these shower curtain rings. On Amazon, they're $12.99. Shipping would have cost almost $8.00 for standard (slow) shipping, since I no longer have Amazon Prime. On Walmart, they're $10.99 with free shipping to store. The store is about a mile away from my apartment.

To buy them on Amazon even with Prime free shipping, they're $2.00 more. The "free" shipping on Amazon is not free.

I've noticed the prices sneaking upwards, and there were hardly any videos worth watching that weren't a ridiculous amount to "rent." Usually $4 - $6. And that was for old movies! That's ridiculous. Then they try to get you to opt for standard shipping by luring you with a $1 digital credit.

After a year, I am disenchanted with Amazon Prime. And when their base price is $2 more on a $10 item, that's an 18% markup. And now they want you to spend $50 before you can get "free" shipping? Which actually cost you $2 anyway.

I used to love Amazon. It seemed like a rare business with integrity. But, you can't trust them to have the best prices. The above was just my latest purchase. Can't remember specific other examples, but this one I just dealt with this last week.

Here's Amazon's price:

Amazon.com - Elegant Home Fashions Round with Hammered Surface Look Shower Hooks, Chrome -

And Walmart's (you might have to choose the satin nickel color to get the right price):

Elegant Home Fashions Shower Hooks, Round with Hammered Surface Look - Walmart.com

I'm over Amazon Prime. I'll still shop on Amazon, but I expect to buy less and less there.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 PM

4,015 posts, read 2,998,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Someone was asking about things on Amazon being more expensive than other places. I have a very recent example. I wanted to buy these shower curtain rings. On Amazon, they're $12.99. Shipping would have cost almost $8.00 for standard (slow) shipping, since I no longer have Amazon Prime. On Walmart, they're $10.99 with free shipping to store. The store is about a mile away from my apartment.

To buy them on Amazon even with Prime free shipping, they're $2.00 more. The "free" shipping on Amazon is not free.

I've noticed the prices sneaking upwards, and there were hardly any videos worth watching that weren't a ridiculous amount to "rent." Usually $4 - $6. And that was for old movies! That's ridiculous. Then they try to get you to opt for standard shipping by luring you with a $1 digital credit.

After a year, I am disenchanted with Amazon Prime. And when their base price is $2 more on a $10 item, that's an 18% markup. And now they want you to spend $50 before you can get "free" shipping? Which actually cost you $2 anyway.

I used to love Amazon. It seemed like a rare business with integrity. But, you can't trust them to have the best prices. The above was just my latest purchase. Can't remember specific other examples, but this one I just dealt with this last week.

Here's Amazon's price:

Amazon.com - Elegant Home Fashions Round with Hammered Surface Look Shower Hooks, Chrome -

And Walmart's (you might have to choose the satin nickel color to get the right price):

Elegant Home Fashions Shower Hooks, Round with Hammered Surface Look - Walmart.com

I'm over Amazon Prime. I'll still shop on Amazon, but I expect to buy less and less there.
I asked for real examples. I do have Prime so my price would be $13 to find them on my front porch or $11 shipped to the Walmart 2 miles away. So for maybe a half hour of my time I could save $2. I earn a bit more than $4 an hour so I think I my pass on these "savings". To be fair, I need to amoritize my Prime cost. I get over 20 packages a year from Amazon, but I will use 20 and round up the cost of the membership and pretend it costs me $5 an order. That means I get $7 savings for my half hour; still far less than my work rate. And keep in mind we are comparing a delivery to my house in 2 days to a store delivery in about 5 with a notification delay of one or two days (not making that up; I do use Walmart for some specific items that don't qualify for Prime). Anyway, I will grant you that sometimes apples are cheaper at Walmart than oranges are at Amazon.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:00 PM

13,599 posts, read 21,943,684 times
I love Amazon, love my prime, my free shipping and all the free books available for my Kindle Fire,etc. I have never had any problem in all the years I have shopped Amazon. I did Ebay years ago, but the shipping/handling prices were getting ridiculous. But I did get a few great buys for my "Greatest Stories ever told" collection from Ebay.

I also buy from Walmart, especially at Christmas time. They are always very nice and prompt with any mistake and I take advantage of free shipping over $49
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 04-01-2016, 10:07 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,907,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Amazon will help you with the 3rd party if you aren't happy. I have always been able to get a refund or replacement when I was unhappy with an item. Only once did I have to contact Amazon about a 3rd party. One caveat on my experience is that I do a lot of business with Amazon and I have been told they look at that. I think it's true; when I return something they credit it to my account while it is still in transit. I told one of my coworkers that when he was returning something and was going to buy something else and he ended up getting a little annoyed with me because they did not do that for him. He was annoyed because he needed to wait for the credit; if he had asked for a refund back to his card it would have taken longer to process, but he would have gone ahead and bought the other item while the refund was still being processed.
I made a purchase which turned out to be overseas. It was going to take waayyy too long to get here. I ask an amazon rep about it and they offered to cancel the order and refund my money. It was a really good price though and I said to keep it. But the stuff I ordered which delivered only had one unit. They offered to refund it so I did, and reordered the one unit. All in a few minutes of chatting.

Their customer service is excellent. It is one reason I use Amazon Prime as my chosen favorite. The tracking is good and they are willing to help if anything goes wrong. If I need it right now, I wouldn't buy third party, but have gotten some really nice things that way.

I haven't bought anything on ebay for some time. If something is an auction you have to keep revisiting it, and I've had to deal with their customer support. It's not so user friendly.

There are usually a lot of options in which seller to use on Amazon, and do spend some time comparing them as the delivery dates may be early or late, and the price varies.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:35 PM

10,424 posts, read 8,952,816 times
In a one word answer...yes.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:22 AM

40,418 posts, read 15,912,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I love Amazon, love my prime, my free shipping and all the free books available for my Kindle Fire,etc. I have never had any problem in all the years I have shopped Amazon. I did Ebay years ago, but the shipping/handling prices were getting ridiculous.
Love Prime as well. Save so money.

If I go to Target to get a similarly priced item, I am likely too walk out with half a dozen other things I run across.

Before Prime, I used to add in extra items to get to the $25 free shipping minimum ($49 now).

With Prime, I get the mousetraps and I'm done.

I furnished a B&B from eBay. Used too love it. I haven't been on in over a year and then just a few times.

I got tired of the fuss with sellers who misrepresented items or packed them poorly. Their customer service was little help in resolving issues. It was only a few times, but it was enough of a bother that I quit using eBay.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:51 AM

14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
...I haven't bought anything on ebay for some time. If something is an auction you have to keep revisiting it, and I've had to deal with their customer support. It's not so user friendly.

There are usually a lot of options in which seller to use on Amazon, and do spend some time comparing them as the delivery dates may be early or late, and the price varies.
I buy many more things on Amazon than on Ebay. But Ebay has some pretty good deals on some items. For example - I just bought some "unflavored" floss threaders that aren't sold in the US these days (only mint is sold in the US). From Ireland (a discount drug store). The price - including free shipping - was cheaper than the price of the mint threaders in the US.

BTW - a lot of the items I buy on Amazon aren't available where I live. Like I just got a shipment of Louisiana red beans (for red beans and rice). I realize I'm paying a premium for "free shipping" compared to a grocery store price. But - since the nearest grocery that carries this item is in Louisiana - Amazon is cheaper for me . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or