U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 06:56 AM

4,015 posts, read 2,998,307 times

Advertisements

Amazon and eBay have totally different models. eBay's customers are the sellers and Amazon's customers are the buyers. Amazon handles all the money so if there is a problem on any sale, they have skin in the game. eBay bills sellers for listing fees and even though the money is generally handled via PayPal they make the buyer try to work it out directly with the seller and failing that the buyer still has to go through a very specific process to get a dispute handled. I have won a dispute as a seller on eBay. I felt I was in the right but I could not prove it absolutely; turns out I didn't have to. They take the word of the seller unless the buyer can disprove it. PayPal is a service that transfers money between parties, not a merchandise vendor. eBay very purposefully distances themselves from the actual sale; your receipt will not list eBay as the seller or vendor.

Amazon does also try to make it easy for sellers to work with them but their policies make it very clear that they are much more concerned about maintaining the relationship with the buyer than they are the seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 12:41 PM

33,466 posts, read 21,039,929 times
Plus prime saves me driving around looking at all the different models of things. I wanted an InstaPot type item to reduce appliances in my cabinet and I find it pricey at $114 or whatever it was. Amazon allowed me to compare all the like type items, compare reviews and features. I then compared that to BB&B with my coupon and it was still cheaper.

When I bought it I felt confident I bought the right item.

Here's one item that I did find cheaper. The Earthbox Grow Box, they only had knockoffs at Amazon now, I had bought my last one from them at a reasonable price around $35-40 if I recall. At the military store it was $57 on the manufacturer website it was $35.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-02-2016, 02:29 PM

3,309 posts, read 3,651,863 times
I was wondering whether Netflix or Amazon prime if better. Haven't tried either.

I did buy an expensive item 2,000.00 from Amazon.
It had a 30!day guarantee.

But because it was defective they took it back after a year with no
restocking fee. It was a 3rd party.

I was impressed to say the least.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:48 PM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
I wanted to add another thing about Amazon Prime that I grew tired of. That was that even their Prime items would say that they would require additional days to ship. In other words, your 2 day free shipping just turned into 3 or 5. See it here. "In stock, but may require an additional 1 - 2 days to process."

http://www.amazon.com/Elegant-Home-F...+home+fashions

So, their price was $2 more, plus even a Prime member couldn't get 2 day shipping, even though it's a Prime item.

Just nickel and diming.

As to the question about Netflix vs Amazon, this was what finally made me decide to not renew my Amazon Prime. I got a 30 day free trial for Netflix when I had 30 days left on my Prime membership. There is no comparison as to how many more free shows and movies you can watch on Netflix vs. Amazon.

One thing I did like as far as an additional subscription service on Amazon Prime, was the ability to pay for just a month of Showtime or Starz. Then, I could catch up on shows from those premium channels without having to have cable. I watched all of Ray Donovan and Nurse Jackie, for instance, then stopped that extra subscription. It was pretty cheap, too, less than $10.

But, they have so few decent movies to watch that are included with Prime, and even old movies require a high rental fee.

I now pay for the cheapest Netflix streaming subscription and 1 DVD out at a time. That way I can see new releases for cheap and I don't end up with Redbox movies sitting around for days, and paying for them.

I'm happy with Netflix and I'll deal with not having Amazon Prime. It's just not worth it to me anymore.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:35 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,190,450 times
We just came back from a 60 mile round trip to Dick's Sporting Goods looking for a particular item for each of our two grandkids. We were unsuccessful in our quest. When I got home I ordered the items via Amazon Prime, free ship, and it'll be here in two days. I'm kicking myself for even leaving the house this rainy Saturday afternoon. I LOVE AMAZON PRIME!

Old 04-02-2016, 04:14 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Amazon and eBay have totally different models. eBay's customers are the sellers and Amazon's customers are the buyers. Amazon handles all the money so if there is a problem on any sale, they have skin in the game. eBay bills sellers for listing fees and even though the money is generally handled via PayPal they make the buyer try to work it out directly with the seller and failing that the buyer still has to go through a very specific process to get a dispute handled. I have won a dispute as a seller on eBay. I felt I was in the right but I could not prove it absolutely; turns out I didn't have to. They take the word of the seller unless the buyer can disprove it. PayPal is a service that transfers money between parties, not a merchandise vendor. eBay very purposefully distances themselves from the actual sale; your receipt will not list eBay as the seller or vendor.

Amazon does also try to make it easy for sellers to work with them but their policies make it very clear that they are much more concerned about maintaining the relationship with the buyer than they are the seller.
Good analysis.

I used to sell quite a few things I no longer wanted on Ebay. But stopped perhaps 5-8 years ago after a buyer (who had a good rep - probably faked) - claimed that an item I sold was defective. It was a lamp. And the cord had been cut. Quite neatly - as if with a knife. Doubt that could have happened during the worst of shipping accidents. And the lamp sure didn't leave my house that way. Instead of getting into a fight with Ebay - or getting a negative rep - which the buyer threatened (I had a perfect rep) - I just refunded the buyer his $50 or so - and called it a day. Too bad. Ebay used to be a lot of fun in terms of getting rid of things.

These days - I only buy from Ebay. From outfits which are pretty much large reputable commercial sellers of things like the floss threaders I mentioned. I will buy the occasional vintage item I want to replace (like a broken piece of china or a NIB electric knife from the 70's) - but I'm talking about $10 items give or take.

When it comes to Amazon - it can be tough for sellers (I've looked at the seller rules and they are pretty onerous - especially when it comes to shipping time frames). One thing I learned last year is Amazon monitors email between buyers and sellers. I wrote an email last year to a seller I have dealt with for years and years. First on Ebay. Now on Amazon. Someone who sells hotel sized luxury soaps (I have small hands). I got an order of something I had bought lots of times - and thought the fragrance was off. Wouldn't give negative feedback to sometime I had dealt with successfully for a long time - but I did write an email. Expressing my possible concern that the lot in question was counterfeit. Amazon read this email and suspended the seller from Amazon because of the use of the word "counterfeit"! I was mortified. I wrote a long email to Amazon detailing my long excellent history with this seller to get her seller's privileges reinstated (and was successful). Still - the whole episode gave me pause. Robyn

Old 04-02-2016, 04:36 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I was wondering whether Netflix or Amazon prime if better. Haven't tried either.

I did buy an expensive item 2,000.00 from Amazon.
It had a 30!day guarantee.

But because it was defective they took it back after a year with no
restocking fee. It was a 3rd party.

I was impressed to say the least.
Both Amazon and Netflix are probably equally crummy when it comes to newer free streaming movie offerings. As opposed to their own productions - or some TV series - which might or might not be of interest to you (I have enjoyed The Mind of a Chef on Amazon Prime). Sometimes there is an outlier - like we saw Ex Machina on Amazon Prime (free) a few months ago. But that is more the exception than the rule.

OTOH - if you want to catch up when it comes to good movies from the past and distant past - they are probably both equally good. Then again - so is Comcast on Demand (and its premium movie channels on demand).

If you're mostly looking for new stuff - you will have to pay extra dollars or wait for Netflix DVDs in the mail. We saw The Big Short on Comcast a few weeks ago - and it cost us $4.99 to rent it for 48 hours. Sometimes it's even cheaper to buy DVDs of new movies when they're on sale than to stream them (we did that with The Martian - we really liked Ex Machina and The Big Short but The Martian was a stinker IMO). Robyn

Old 04-02-2016, 06:56 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,907,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I buy many more things on Amazon than on Ebay. But Ebay has some pretty good deals on some items. For example - I just bought some "unflavored" floss threaders that aren't sold in the US these days (only mint is sold in the US). From Ireland (a discount drug store). The price - including free shipping - was cheaper than the price of the mint threaders in the US.

BTW - a lot of the items I buy on Amazon aren't available where I live. Like I just got a shipment of Louisiana red beans (for red beans and rice). I realize I'm paying a premium for "free shipping" compared to a grocery store price. But - since the nearest grocery that carries this item is in Louisiana - Amazon is cheaper for me . Robyn
Where I live we have a smaller full service Walmart and a discount grocery store with higher prices than Walmart but not much more selection. They fill the shelves in the evenings at Walmart. If you show up at five thirty in the afternoon, and the store is full, you find a lot of empty spaces. If you come at eight pm, then they are getting ready to start filling them. There are things I can't get on Amazon, food wise, so I used Walmart.com for those. They show up on my porch between a day and maybe three in a sturdy unmarked box. Much better.

I could get a ride all the way to the larger town over a half hour away, and they have a super walmart there and other stores. But what if you want a few things? Who's going to do that? And I found the best way to keep in a budget is make a list and buy most of it together, then buy only as you need with fresh stuff. I've spent much less.

I also buy my milk from Brahms's, since their lowfat milk is wonderfully delicious, with less water, and no hormones or rBGH. And its cheaper that the good milk at Walmart. And their icecream and some veggies. But if its going to be chopped up and simmer for an hour in a pot, I don't worry about it being the 'best' produce.

The last thing I bought and wanted to return on ebay is still sitting in a box in the closet. It wasn't what they said. Amazon would have just said return it and pay me back. That is the major thing that made me leave ebay.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:34 PM

13,481 posts, read 25,860,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That is pretty bad financial planning IMO if a $95 charge could overdraw your checking account. Unless you are living (SS) check to check. In which case - you probably shouldn't have something like an Amazon Prime account. Robyn
Yes, I'm on SS, but I also work, and I DON'T live paycheck to paycheck. The bulk of my money isn't in that account anyway, it's in my savings account, and Amazon doesn't have the card for that account. My SS and part of the money from working goes into my checking account, which is the card that Amazon had.

I was charged $106.92 for the Prime membership, which in turn, overdrew my account, and my credit union charged me at $27 overdraft fee. The money was back in the bank Friday, along with an additional credit for the overdraft charge.

Also, FYI, I never had an Amazon Prime account to begin with. They decided that I needed one and charged me for it. The last time that I ordered from Amazon was in July 2015.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:46 AM

13,481 posts, read 25,860,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's not really any of your business is it?
Correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or