U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 10:02 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,907,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Everything is polarized these days; you can't just have a preference to use Amazon or a preference to find things somewhere else if possible. You have to love it or hate it...
It isn't just online shopping or politics (the most obvious example these days). Is it just me or does it seem like it has gotten this way in general? Chevy guys used to seem to show a little more respect for Ford guys. Some friends would prefer their favorite brand of beer over mine but would not accuse me of drinking equine excretions. Everyone who doesn't agree with me isn't stupid...
I've noticed that. I like to take some idea or issue and look at it without sides, since there is some good and some bad in everything, and our 'good' means that there is more plus than negative in it. Take specific points which have great emotional investment in them and someone HAS to come along and argue along simplistic lines. I like to dig out the complexity of things since it means so much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 AM

8,894 posts, read 5,448,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Diminishment of services basically is my reason for dropping Prime. the latest is the notice I used to get for selecting a free kindle book each month. Latest email offers the books to chose but they cost a few dollars, no longer free.
Are you certain about this?

I just looked at my Prime account. I still get a free Kindle book a month, if I want it. (I don't use that benefit.)

Click on the "Prime" button next to "Your Account."

Old 04-06-2016, 11:03 AM

5,455 posts, read 6,719,321 times
Thanks fluffy. I just tried what you suggested. Showed movies no books were listed or linked. I think they configure the website to what they want to sell me based upon mu buying pattern. I suspect that if I go into kindle books section an browse eventually one will show up as free

But am also going to try Gutenberg as suggested

Old 04-06-2016, 11:33 AM

33,477 posts, read 21,039,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Everything is polarized these days; you can't just have a preference to use Amazon or a preference to find things somewhere else if possible. You have to love it or hate it...
It isn't just online shopping or politics (the most obvious example these days). Is it just me or does it seem like it has gotten this way in general? Chevy guys used to seem to show a little more respect for Ford guys. Some friends would prefer their favorite brand of beer over mine but would not accuse me of drinking equine excretions. Everyone who doesn't agree with me isn't stupid...

Well, if this is going to break off into a knife fight y'all will have to wait while I go order one from Amazon.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-06-2016, 11:48 AM

32,283 posts, read 14,526,920 times
Quote:
Thanks fluffy. I just tried what you suggested. Showed movies no books were listed or linked. I think they configure the website to what they want to sell me based upon mu buying pattern. I suspect that if I go into kindle books section an browse eventually one will show up as free

You can sort kindle books by price and you will find at least several hundred free ones. At the top of my amazon page there is a link to the top 100 free kindle books.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ks%2Caps%2C192

Old 04-06-2016, 11:48 AM

33,477 posts, read 21,039,929 times
Quote:

IF you go into Books and use the search term *free* they all show up. This is separate from the free book you get from amazon. They are just free books.

For the Prime books enter in search *Prime lending library*
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-06-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
IF you go into Books and use the search term *free* they all show up. This is separate from the free book you get from amazon. They are just free books.

For the Prime books enter in search *Prime lending library*
It worked. Thank you.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:51 PM

4,015 posts, read 2,998,307 times
Keep in mind there is also a mid level that some of us experience - shared Prime shipping. My wife has a Prime account that both I and our oldest (adult child whose primary address is still at home even though he is away at college) have our accounts linked to. We get Prime shipping on the linked accounts but not the video or Kindle extras. We have an Android device at home that is set to use my wife's account for video access. it seems like it would be simpler to just have a shared account but because of how they handle apps and music for devices, loading gift cards and being able to order things that are supposed to be a surprise it is easier to have multiple.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can sort kindle books by price and you will find at least several hundred free ones. At the top of my amazon page there is a link to the top 100 free kindle books.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ks%2Caps%2C192
That worked too. Thanks. You were very helpful

Noticed a couple of books 'how to get the most out of Amazon prime' or that ilk. Says a lot that people need to write books as to how to use this extra pay service. Am sure kindle unlimited is easy to find and use.

Another rant. wish these people would leave my websites alone. I like them the way they were textual instead of all the tiles and graphics as my Amazon page and my bank are. I want to get in and get it done, not spend my time sorting through pretty pictures. Rant over

Old 04-07-2016, 11:15 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,717,136 times
I can't understand the discrepancy here in the value of using Prime unless folks don't online shop much or prefer going out to local shops instead. When I first saw Prime offered several years ago I thought it was silly to spend $79/yr (then) to commit to one retail outlet, I had been buying online since the mid 90's, including using the old USENET newsgroups to buy from individuals one on one.

Eventually I saw Amazon was simply the best price offered on most items- they use dynamic pricing to usually be the best price, & I did pretty extensive comparison shopping, & with the free 2 day shipping, no questions about returns & other benefits they still can't be beat for most things imho. In fact I am waiting on kitchen cabinet pulls from them today that were discounted 50% compared to that big box home store & some $3 LED pocket flashlights. Personal care toiletries, hard to find kitchen & home items... hard to beat.

On my Paperwhite Kindle, which was $31 for Prime members as a special a few years ago, almost the price of a book these days, I have downloaded dozens of free books from them including all of Twain as well as freebies from the local library too. It is unrivalled for traveling or commuting for reading, the bulky iPad or books don't come close. I watch movies & HBO/BBC series from their Prime TV app & use the music streaming service when I am having a barbecue or in the garage/workshop that is tailored to my own specific musical taste. I haven't used their cloud photo storage yet because I haven't got around to it, I've lost several years worth of pictures that I had stored on my own computers & failed HDD storage.

I will say that if they raise the Prime price again I might reconsider then since I can duplicate most of the benefits other than the low prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or