U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2016, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Reputation: 6728

Advertisements

And you live in NYC. For many of us who live in suburbs - like I do - well who wants to spend half a day driving around to find every little thing? For example - I needed some specialized bandages yesterday. Dropped by my local CVS - next to my local Publix (which was my destination) - and it had 1 box of 3 in stock (and I need more like 30). At a price 50% higher than the price on Amazon. So I'll get what I need delivered tomorrow (Amazon delivers on Sunday in my area now).

When it comes to the cost of Amazon Prime - I don't know exactly how much of the cost is offset by what we save on gas and wear/tear on our car - but it's not an insignificant amount. And just that one bandage purchase will save me $30 (I am sure I save many times the amount I pay for Prime over the course of a year). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2016, 08:30 AM
 
Location: North Oakland
9,155 posts, read 8,851,933 times
Reputation: 14370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
When it comes to the "buffering" issue you described - that is often the result of the device being too far away from whatever modem/router you have. What distance are you talking about? Robyn
So true. I was having problems streaming music from my LR to my BR. Turned out the problem was distance and obstacles between router and wireless speaker. I moved the router closer. Hardly any sticking/stuttering now.

And I just started a Prime subscription so I could watch Bosch. I like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series that much. I haven't done much else with it. I started to create a Prime Pantry box yesterday, but when I went back to finish it today, I found that the item I most want, 12 half-liter bottles of plain San Pellegrino for $8.99 is "currently unavailable."

Last edited by jay5835; 04-10-2016 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: City Data Land
15,527 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Reputation: 30690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Amazon and eBay have totally different models. eBay's customers are the sellers and Amazon's customers are the buyers. Amazon handles all the money so if there is a problem on any sale, they have skin in the game. eBay bills sellers for listing fees and even though the money is generally handled via PayPal they make the buyer try to work it out directly with the seller and failing that the buyer still has to go through a very specific process to get a dispute handled. I have won a dispute as a seller on eBay. I felt I was in the right but I could not prove it absolutely; turns out I didn't have to. They take the word of the seller unless the buyer can disprove it. PayPal is a service that transfers money between parties, not a merchandise vendor. eBay very purposefully distances themselves from the actual sale; your receipt will not list eBay as the seller or vendor.

Amazon does also try to make it easy for sellers to work with them but their policies make it very clear that they are much more concerned about maintaining the relationship with the buyer than they are the seller.
I disagree. As an ebay seller and buyer, ebay has been criticized for being heavily biased in favor of buyers. An obvious example is that sellers cannot give negative feedback to buyers, no matter how lousy the buyers treat us. Even if a buyer doesn't pay us, we can't give them negative feedback. All they do is get a non-paying bidder strike on their account, and other sellers don't see it unless they look that up on their account. It doesn't count against their feedback rating. But in a way, that's a good thing. Because ebay is biased in favor of buyers, they get very good customer service by sellers. Shipping is prompt and sellers are responsive even though they are independent from ebay. And contrary to popular belief, ebay has customer service designed to protect both parties, so despite eBay's bias, they have helped me in a dispute or two with a buyer.

But Amazon has both sellers AND buyers as its customers. They take a cut from the sales of independent sellers and they take the sales on the Fulfilled by Amazon items. Plus, since they don't accept Paypal (a service which is now independent from eBay, BTW,) they don't have to pay Paypal anything. It's a very slick business model by Amazon. Although I signed up as an Amazon seller, I never sold anything on their website because I didn't want to compete directly with Amazon itself for sales, especially since Prime members were unlikely to buy from me. Ebay is a better venue for sellers. Why would an independent seller want to compete directly with Amazon and also pay them for their sales?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 09:52 AM
 
Location: North Oakland
9,155 posts, read 8,851,933 times
Reputation: 14370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why would an independent seller want to compete directly with Amazon and also pay them for their sales?
It's so much easier to list things on Amazon Marketplace. eBay wants you to take pictures of everything, and I hate taking pictures. Often, eBay tells me my pictures aren't the right size for eBay. With Amazon Marketplace, all I have to do is find the listing of the CD (or whatever) I want to sell, click a little, type a little, click a little more, and I'm DONE.

Last edited by jay5835; 04-10-2016 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: City Data Land
15,527 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Reputation: 30690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It's so much easier to list things on Amazon Marketplace. eBay wants you to take pictures of everything, and I hate taking pictures. And often, eBay tells me my pictures aren't big enough for eBay. With Amazon Marketplace, I find the listing of the CD (or whatever) I want to sell, click a little, type a little, click a little more, and DONE.
Actually eBay only requires the seller to take one picture of what they're selling. And that requirement actually draws me to purchase from eBay rather than Amazon. I want to see a picture of the EXACT ITEM I'm buying from the specific seller I'm buying it from, not a generic rendition of the brand of item I will be buying followed by a long list of all sellers offering the item, especially if I'm buying something used. What if X seller sells a dirty, broken, or poor quality item? A picture is worth a thousand words, and being willing to make the effort to take a picture or several says something about a seller also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 PM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,972 posts, read 1,053,311 times
Reputation: 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It's so much easier to list things on Amazon Marketplace. eBay wants you to take pictures of everything, and I hate taking pictures. Often, eBay tells me my pictures aren't the right size for eBay. With Amazon Marketplace, all I have to do is find the listing of the CD (or whatever) I want to sell, click a little, type a little, click a little more, and I'm DONE.


This is great information! I have a few CDs, never opened, still in the cellophane, that I might try selling.

I am enjoying watching movies on Prime video. There's not a huge number of free selections that interest me, but there are some, and they are free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 03:13 PM
 
Location: NC Piedmont
4,015 posts, read 2,998,307 times
Reputation: 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I disagree. As an ebay seller and buyer, ebay has been criticized for being heavily biased in favor of buyers. An obvious example is that sellers cannot give negative feedback to buyers, no matter how lousy the buyers treat us. Even if a buyer doesn't pay us, we can't give them negative feedback. All they do is get a non-paying bidder strike on their account, and other sellers don't see it unless they look that up on their account. It doesn't count against their feedback rating. But in a way, that's a good thing. Because ebay is biased in favor of buyers, they get very good customer service by sellers. Shipping is prompt and sellers are responsive even though they are independent from ebay. And contrary to popular belief, ebay has customer service designed to protect both parties, so despite eBay's bias, they have helped me in a dispute or two with a buyer.

But Amazon has both sellers AND buyers as its customers. They take a cut from the sales of independent sellers and they take the sales on the Fulfilled by Amazon items. Plus, since they don't accept Paypal (a service which is now independent from eBay, BTW,) they don't have to pay Paypal anything. It's a very slick business model by Amazon. Although I signed up as an Amazon seller, I never sold anything on their website because I didn't want to compete directly with Amazon itself for sales, especially since Prime members were unlikely to buy from me. Ebay is a better venue for sellers. Why would an independent seller want to compete directly with Amazon and also pay them for their sales?
I have 100% +FB on eBay as a seller and I have sold a fair amount. Not a super high volume, but over 100. I had one dispute and I won without being able to prove the condition of the item (I was not dishonest, but I could not prove it). Since the buyer lost, they were not allowed to leave FB. I felt like that favored me. eBay makes no money from buyers, only sellers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Reputation: 6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
So true. I was having problems streaming music from my LR to my BR. Turned out the problem was distance and obstacles between router and wireless speaker. I moved the router closer. Hardly any sticking/stuttering now.

And I just started a Prime subscription so I could watch Bosch. I like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series that much. I haven't done much else with it. I started to create a Prime Pantry box yesterday, but when I went back to finish it today, I found that the item I most want, 12 half-liter bottles of plain San Pellegrino for $8.99 is "currently unavailable."
Where do you live? My local Costco carries San Pellegrino - and it would probably be the cheapest place for me to buy it. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Reputation: 6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It's so much easier to list things on Amazon Marketplace. eBay wants you to take pictures of everything, and I hate taking pictures. Often, eBay tells me my pictures aren't the right size for eBay. With Amazon Marketplace, all I have to do is find the listing of the CD (or whatever) I want to sell, click a little, type a little, click a little more, and I'm DONE.
One downside of selling on Amazon is you can't sell anything that's not there already (or at least that used to be the case). So if you have a "one off" item - something old - antique - Ebay is a better place to sell. But my last experience as a seller on Ebay was so bad - I'll probably never do it again. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 03:07 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,687 posts, read 19,639,903 times
Reputation: 35627
Ebay has a new CEO so things are getting better. I've sold women's clothing on there for years as a small time seller. I don't sell high end or low end, just middle of the road--J. Jill, Lauren Ralph Lauren, and a few other brands that I like and that I wear myself.

It's a love/hate relationship with ebay though. They do have very low prices lately so the profit margin for sellers isn't there so much. I buy there too because I already HAVE most of what I want so I don't need Amazon and mostly I want to replace something I used to have. Currently I'm trying to replace my beloved old Seiko watch that was stolen when we went on a cruise.

I just bought a car charger for my smartphone the other day on ebay. They're giving away thousands of free listings if anyone wants to try selling.

I found the extra pieces to my old set of Corelle dishes on ebay and I got a beautiful Revere Ware copper clad pan--not the new Made in China junk either, but the quality Made in USA type that is no longer made.

That said, I started a free trial on Amazon a few days ago. In the past I've only bought a few books and Kindle books. Trouble is, I can't find anything I want to buy on Amazon. Being retired, I'm DOWNsizing. And anyway I already have everything I need.

Maybe it's partly because of where I live but I don't have to go to malls and we don't have Costco. We're in a small town next to a prosperous small city that has interesting boutique shops--expensive, but when they have sales, they really have SALES! It's fun and you get personal help with your purchases. We're also extremely close to an L.L. Bean outlet and you get amazing deals off season--fisherman sweater --brand new for $15.00, for example. Nice to save $100.00 or so.

We have a wonderful grocery store in this area--it made the national news last year because the patrons love it so much and boycotted it when the mean and nasty co-owner tried to sell it off.

About two miles away is the most beautiful organic farm I've ever seen and it has a very large selection of foods. Just down the road from us is another organic farm. Both are more money than I usually spend but it's nice knowing that they're there and sometimes I'll get their fresh free range eggs or some other little thing. Free range eggs are also available on the honor system at a house just around the corner from us.

Maybe if/when I move away to some place that doesn't have the quality and variety plus the ease of getting to these wonderful places, I'll try Amazon again, but for now, I LOVE driving on scenic roads to get to convenient locations to buy exactly what I want at reasonable prices. (sorry to have rambled.) Oh--yesterday we did drive a distance to get to a maple syrup making farm and ate wonderful pancakes and waffles--and we bought their maple flavored coffee. I guess we just like to buy local when we can.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top