U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 03:59 PM

4,015 posts, read 2,998,307 times

Advertisements

Interesting - in_newengland's post made me think about the future. Between now and retirement, I should be weaning the kids off my wallet and not be ordering nearly as much as I do now. Post retirement, I expect I will buy a fair amount of stuff the first year or two but then my purchasing should fall off a cliff. Maybe not, but I won't be surprised if Prime makes less since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 04:22 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Interesting - in_newengland's post made me think about the future. Between now and retirement, I should be weaning the kids off my wallet and not be ordering nearly as much as I do now. Post retirement, I expect I will buy a fair amount of stuff the first year or two but then my purchasing should fall off a cliff. Maybe not, but I won't be surprised if Prime makes less since then.
Sometimes it's just a bunch of little stupid non-sexy things that you don't want to hunt for all over town. I have a recent injury. Needed vaseline impregnated squares and telfa gauze pads. Special order only at local pharmacies. Two days and they're on my front porch from Amazon. Robyn

Old 04-13-2016, 05:38 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,448,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Although I signed up as an Amazon seller, I never sold anything on their website because I didn't want to compete directly with Amazon itself for sales, especially since Prime members were unlikely to buy from me. Ebay is a better venue for sellers. Why would an independent seller want to compete directly with Amazon and also pay them for their sales?
Because there are many, many things that Amazon does not sell and is unlikely to ever sell.

Amazon likes things it can sell quickly. They have no patience with keeping stock in the warehouse. If a SKU doesn't prove itself worthy in a few months, they slash the price and blow it out. Amazon's in-house buyers are restless and always looking for the next big thing.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:38 PM

20,687 posts, read 19,639,903 times
I'm in an ebay group and some of the members have been selling on Amazon They made big money. Guess where they source their items? Big Lots. One married couple drives all around their state going to different Big Lots after they've researched Amazon and found the top items. They buy hair products, discontinued scented candles, nail polish, food items that are hard to find--just about anything. Then they have to be very fussy and pack it up a certain way for Amazon.

If I needed something THAT much, I think I'd just go to Big Lots and buy it myself, lol.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm in an ebay group and some of the members have been selling on Amazon They made big money. Guess where they source their items? Big Lots. One married couple drives all around their state going to different Big Lots after they've researched Amazon and found the top items. They buy hair products, discontinued scented candles, nail polish, food items that are hard to find--just about anything. Then they have to be very fussy and pack it up a certain way for Amazon.

If I needed something THAT much, I think I'd just go to Big Lots and buy it myself, lol.
A current coworker was laid off at a previous job along with many of his coworkers at that job and they kept in touch for a while. He said a lady he worked with was at a discount store and was kicking herself when she saw something she had just shopped hard for and bought for more on eBay. Then the "idea light bulb" came on and she filled up her cart and maxed out her credit card. Within a couple of months she had to rent a store room to keep stock and wasn't looking for a job anymore.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:58 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,537,234 times
I adore Amazon Prime. I have a second-floor condo and everything comes to my door. I would say it's no exaggeration that 90% of my life items come from Amazon including for my business.

Obviously not fresh food but plenty of other food items too. I was looking for a particular expensive Greek Olive Oil and the only place I found it was Amazon. If I think of something I need instead of writing down a note and going to the store I quickly order it on the computer. I'm not particularly a Price Shopper but I do look at prices and they are a factor.

I've also found things like two specific cookbooks out of print I wanted to replace, and they had them new on Amazon kind of like eBay.

Amazon reviews are super helpful because I'm a little picky. You can judge if you really care about something or are willing to try it because of or despite a review. The people answer questions quickly. The sellers on eBay though, are better about that than on Amazon, understandably. If you know how to use eBay and judge the different ones.

Amazon has a fantastic return policy.

Sometimes I use UVA protection clothing and it has been on sale by the clothing company many times through Amazon. Even if I were not working all the time and saving myself tremendous time, aggravation and frustration, I would still be using Amazon Prime.

I get so many boxes to break down I drop them over to Goodwill or Habitat who appreciate them for their customers who are moving.

I'm not much on amazon music TV and movies but I have used my subscription for that too on occasion. I was just able to subscribe to one new television show on Showtime without actually purchasing Showtime on my cable TV.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Well that's the trick, you don't know that it's in Big Lots. So you could spend 3 hours going to big box stores and the item you want is not there. Or, you don't even know the item exists .That's why I use Amazon Prime.

I think that's why everybody you know uses duvets now instead of bedspreads. They don't want the duvet sets the mfrs. push, but you can't even find any variety in bedspreads accept online.

Same with ETSY. I'm a dog walker and my life revolves around keys. I found an unbelievable Key System on Amazon only that I had never seen before. On the other hand I found a seller on Etsy who has the best key clasp lanyards that are really cute fabrics but more importantly -high quality and error-proof - that she actually invented. So I buy them from her.

Neither item is available in any retail store, trust me after 8 years of looking

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-18-2016 at 07:17 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 02:05 PM

10,906 posts, read 8,300,609 times
Amazon jus announced they're going to start offering Prime on a monthly pay basis. That might be more palatable
for folks who don't want to commit to a year. The monthly fee will be 10.99 while the annual fee remains $99 but it could work for those who just want it short-term (say over the Xmas shopping season).

Old 04-18-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Amazon jus announced they're going to start offering Prime on a monthly pay basis. That might be more palatable
for folks who don't want to commit to a year. The monthly fee will be 10.99 while the annual fee remains $99 but it could work for those who just want it short-term (say over the Xmas shopping season).
One of the phone carriers recently made that offer to their subscribers not pushing it as much on the month to month as just not having to pay for it lump sum. I imagine Bezos' reaction was "Financing Prime at 30%? I want in on that! " (I said I imagine that; I don't know for sure).

Old 04-18-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Actually eBay only requires the seller to take one picture of what they're selling. And that requirement actually draws me to purchase from eBay rather than Amazon. I want to see a picture of the EXACT ITEM I'm buying from the specific seller I'm buying it from, not a generic rendition of the brand of item I will be buying followed by a long list of all sellers offering the item, especially if I'm buying something used. What if X seller sells a dirty, broken, or poor quality item? A picture is worth a thousand words, and being willing to make the effort to take a picture or several says something about a seller also.
I think the worst thing a buyer can do on eBay is go by one picture on many items. I won't buy anything unless I see a shot from every angle especially items like handbags. That have many many shady areas that can be covered up.

IME you can't beat Amazons return policy. Not exactly the same on eBay. I've sniped on eBay for a long time and love it too but Amazon Prime is a different animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or