U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:34 PM

10,906 posts, read 8,300,609 times

Advertisements

It also appears that Amazon will be offering a Prime video only subscription for 8.99 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 08:08 AM

12,402 posts, read 5,538,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It also appears that Amazon will be offering a Prime video only subscription for 8.99 a month.
I read that yesterday. I'm in when this is official. I don't have cable so I use Netflix. For that price per month I can expand my TV watching to other movies and shows not offered on Netflix.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:41 AM

14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I read that yesterday. I'm in when this is official. I don't have cable so I use Netflix. For that price per month I can expand my TV watching to other movies and shows not offered on Netflix.
If you like it - why wouldn't you switch to "regular" Prime (annual cost is lower and there are additional benefits)? Robyn

Old 04-19-2016, 02:31 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,907,474 times
We use online gift cards for birthdays. There is no chance of the mail losing the money. I ask for an amazon card this coming month ==64!!!==. I can use it for special stuff or purchase of parts to fix the washer. So far the washer wins. Who would have thought that a little knob coming off could be so expensive?????

The thing about Amazon that's different than a lot of online retailers is that they have so many different kinds of parts. I'm going to get the number on the parts I need and see if they have the controller and maybe save some money. I'm going to do a you tube search to see how to do the replacement. And the washer doesn't have to be dragged anywhere.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:08 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,537,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
We use online gift cards for birthdays. There is no chance of the mail losing the money. I ask for an amazon card this coming month ==64!!!==. I can use it for special stuff or purchase of parts to fix the washer. So far the washer wins. Who would have thought that a little knob coming off could be so expensive?????

The thing about Amazon that's different than a lot of online retailers is that they have so many different kinds of parts. I'm going to get the number on the parts I need and see if they have the controller and maybe save some money. I'm going to do a you tube search to see how to do the replacement. And the washer doesn't have to be dragged anywhere.

Agreed. Funny you mentioned that. I couldn't find the light bulbs for under my microwave hood.

Till I searched the part number on Amazon. It's almost a joke with me to see what I can think of that they DON'T carry LOL.

Also parts for my 1970s Kitchenaid stand mixer, the oil and stuff. When you click on the oil, they also show you what other people bought like the brushes etc.

I also like that the comments sections give you tips. Or refer you to another product.

You may just find a review or comment that tells you the best video or some trick or something. If not, then YOU can write the review and give others tips.

Happy Birthday!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:20 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,203,595 times
In searching for the best place to order some stuffs for my upcoming trip (waterproof spray & wash, Glide anti blister for walking, small safety whistle etc.), I stumbled across Jet.com.

I found that I could also order many other items (whole bean decaf coffee, organic black tea, chamomile tea, batteries etc) at prices better than Amazon.com and with free shipping. I also got 15% off for 1st order.

All items arrived quickly with the first big box arrived the next day and the rest followed in a day or two.

I just did a search for "Jet vs. Amazon" and found this article

Jet vs. Amazon: A Quick Comparison | Practical Ecommerce

Here is the conclusion:

Quote:
Summary

Jet has a long way to go before it creates a dent in Amazon’s sales. But I liked Jet. It has the potential to hijack Amazon customers, especially for commodity items, by competing on price and customer service. The question is how can Jet turn a profit on these items and retain customers once it ends promotional pricing.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:24 AM

6,798 posts, read 5,414,985 times
I just had to start Amazon Prime again. I vowed not to use it but sometimes you just have to.

My mom is not doing well, so I don't have time to go to the store every week. I'm either with her or just too exhausted to shop. Its weird how you can get tired from just sitting.

Anyway, I have lots of rescue dogs and they like their treats. I'm doing it for them!! LOL

I live in a small town and the closest big store is 7 miles away. I know it doesn't sound far, but in small town life - it is. The store we have here is expensive for items like that. I'll buy milk and other things like that for me, but not for my boys and girls.

I tried to use Wal-Mart since they have a no shipping charge for orders over 49 with no yearly fee. But their web site is so SssLlllOOooooWwwww. Ridiculous.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:44 PM

983 posts, read 786,972 times
We are on a one month free trial of Amazon prime and have been testing it - considering if it's worth paying for it.

I have comparison shopped for products I buy regularly - haven't found any great prices. We rarely watch movies, so the streaming deal really wouldn't get much use. We do read quite a bit, but we like *real* books, which we get for free at our local library. We live in a very small town, and the nearest city with good shopping is about 1/2 hour away, so online shopping is often our best option. But I just found vacuum cleaner filters on regular Amazon (not prime) at a good price, and with free shipping.

We do have a few neighbors that work from home. I can understand that for them, Prime is probably a good deal. They don't have time to drive to the city to shop as I do every few weeks).

By the way - isn't one of the Prime offerings the "button"? Does anyone actually use those? It seems like an easy way to order things like laundry soap - maybe too easy (lazy)? Is it cost effective?

Old 06-09-2016, 05:25 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
We are on a one month free trial of Amazon prime and have been testing it - considering if it's worth paying for it.

I have comparison shopped for products I buy regularly - haven't found any great prices. We rarely watch movies, so the streaming deal really wouldn't get much use. We do read quite a bit, but we like *real* books, which we get for free at our local library. We live in a very small town, and the nearest city with good shopping is about 1/2 hour away, so online shopping is often our best option. But I just found vacuum cleaner filters on regular Amazon (not prime) at a good price, and with free shipping.

We do have a few neighbors that work from home. I can understand that for them, Prime is probably a good deal. They don't have time to drive to the city to shop as I do every few weeks).

By the way - isn't one of the Prime offerings the "button"? Does anyone actually use those? It seems like an easy way to order things like laundry soap - maybe too easy (lazy)? Is it cost effective?
For those of us who telecommute or work from home, we find it a waste of time to drive into town, hit all the places needed, drive back, and unload the car. Don't forget to add in the cost of gas. All to save a few dollars. The only thing I actually need to drive for are fruits and vegetables.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:22 PM

983 posts, read 786,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
For those of us who telecommute or work from home, we find it a waste of time to drive into town, hit all the places needed, drive back, and unload the car. Don't forget to add in the cost of gas. All to save a few dollars. The only thing I actually need to drive for are fruits and vegetables.
Exactly. Funny thing - in my neighborhood, one of the gals has a bit of a reputation as being addicted to shopping because she gets frequent UPS deliveries. But I know that she works from home and also subscribes to Prime. She is probably saving a lot of time and money by not having to make the drive to the city for shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or