U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 06:37 AM

10,295 posts, read 12,658,998 times

Advertisements

Here it is 6:45 AM on January 1st, happy new year everyone, and I just purchased a pair of Lee khaki pleated pants that will be delivered to my door on Tuesday.

No muss, no fuss and no 50 mile round trip (I live in the boonies) to the mall where I would deal with idiots and fight crowds. Then there is the $6 gas it would take to get me there and back.

I did my shopping in 15 minutes WITHOUT GETTING OUT OF BED! Yep, smartphone shopping!

The more I use Amazon the more I like it and I will add their selection is much larger than any store I've been to.

I hate brick and morter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 06:44 AM

40,418 posts, read 15,912,791 times
Amazon prices seem competitive to me and you can't beat the selection. Love using it to send gifts.

We've found it is less expensive overall to shop on Amazon. Gas aside, if I go Target to pick up a thing or two, I come back with a hundred dollars worth of things I didn't go for but found appealing. Not so on Amazon.

Love their original series -- Alpha House, Bosch...

Old 01-01-2016, 07:40 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,559,199 times
Have had it since it began, LOVE it, do 90% of my shopping for gift giving on it and have the items sent directly! It is WORTH the cost for sure!

Old 01-01-2016, 08:37 AM

3,957 posts, read 4,788,207 times
We subscribe - it saves us a LOT on shipping since we use Amazon at least 75% to make purchases. I also use Amazon Prime music every single day at work.

I only occasionally stream movies on Amazon since I have found their free viewing options are very limited. I pretty much only consult Amazon Prime video when Netflix doesn't have what I want (which is rare).

My husband is also listed on my Prime account, so he also gets the benefit of free shipping as part of my membership.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:49 AM

4,849 posts, read 4,997,247 times
Amazon Prime is an absolute must in my house. 90% of my shopping is in that market place.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:00 AM

5,055 posts, read 6,559,070 times
I really like Prime because, for one, I buy a lot in bulk, and don't have to worry about shipping charges. For example, I purchase organic nuts from them. I also recently bought packages of Ivory Soap , and it may not have made sense had I faced shipping costs, but this was a very good buy.

What's more, I have now dropped Netflix since I have Prime.

I also purchased Amazon Fire, and it's really cheap for a tablet. I love that I have e-books, audio books, music, videos and web access all on that small and very portable device. Yes, that's all also available on my Iphone, but I appreciate the larger Fire screen.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 2 days ago)

15,527 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
No, I do NOT use Amazon Prime. To be honest, I am using Amazon LESS frequently even though my online shopping has increased.

At any given time, I have $300-500 in Amazon credits but it is very rare that I find anything at Amazon that I cannot beat the price locally. I tried the "subscribe and save" product which offers some great deals BUT they always seem to raise the prices the following month.

More often than not, I end up giving the credits to my nephews who use them for their college textbooks.
Agreed. Amazon Prime is not the great deal it used to be, in my experience. I know there are many who may still find it a good value, but I have noticed many customers are getting less value for their money. I had Amazon Prime and cancelled it before the price increase. First, there is the Add-On Item Program, a BS program in which Amazon claims it can't sell the customer a cheap item because it's too expensive to ship on its own. Amazon's solution is not to charge separate shipping so the customer can still buy the item, but to force the customer to make a minimum purchase before shipping the cheap item, and even then the items often ship separately!

Next there is Prime Pantry, in which Prime members are charged for food shipments. Once again, Amazon claims it is too expensive to ship these items, but it's just another way to get Prime members, who are supposed to be getting free shipping, to pay for shipping.

Then many customers have noticed that the shows which are streamed have commercials, so Netflix is an attractive alternative in this way. And of course there's the obvious subscription price increase, which is justifiable after so many years, if the terms remained the same, but since they haven't, it's not as justifiable. Also, customers get less of a Subscribe and Save discount (5% vs 15%).

Also as a non Prime customer, I make purchases very occasionally on Amazon and make sure I hit the $35 so I can get the free shipping. They have become incredibly slow about shipping items. My in-stock items have sat in the warehouse for a week or more collecting dust before finally shipping out. I am wondering if Amazon is trying to get people to buy Prime. Lastly, Amazon is not price competitive on things I need most of the time, so I shop on other websites the majority of the time.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:30 AM

693 posts, read 1,351,720 times
Exclamation Master Marketers

I've had Amazon Prime for years. I have a Kindle and a FireTV for streaming video, so it's probably worth the money. Their customer service is remarkably good and, as others have mentioned, returns are easy. The reviews make it easy to get some idea of merchandise quality.

These guys are really Master marketers. And, therein lies a potential problem. They make it so easy to shop and buy just what I want (or think I might want), that I spend a lot more money shopping than I would if I always had to go out to a store. I'm in the process of downsizing and am a little appalled at the number of non-essential items that I have purchased from Amazon. I try to be a fairly frugal person, but Amazon is a little too easy for me. One thing that helps is to put something on my "Wish list" instead of buying it immediately. Later, I often realize I really don't want the item. I definitely don't activate the One-Click shopping feature.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:01 AM

11,386 posts, read 8,926,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. Amazon Prime is not the great deal it used to be, in my experience. I know there are many who may still find it a good value, but I have noticed many customers are getting less value for their money. I had Amazon Prime and cancelled it before the price increase. First, there is the Add-On Item Program, a BS program in which Amazon claims it can't sell the customer a cheap item because it's too expensive to ship on its own. Amazon's solution is not to charge separate shipping so the customer can still buy the item, but to force the customer to make a minimum purchase before shipping the cheap item, and even then the items often ship separately!

Next there is Prime Pantry, in which Prime members are charged for food shipments. Once again, Amazon claims it is too expensive to ship these items, but it's just another way to get Prime members, who are supposed to be getting free shipping, to pay for shipping.
^This isn't true. Most of the add-on items (which are usually dirt cheap) can be purchased without being an add on. You just look for the same item without the 'add on' indicator.

As for Prime Pantry items, there's no need to pay shipping. Just look for the same item without the "prime pantry" indicator. Prime Pantry is a separate program from regular Prime.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 AM

4,647 posts, read 4,902,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

Then many customers have noticed that the shows which are streamed have commercials, so Netflix is an attractive alternative in this way. And of course there's the obvious subscription price increase, which is justifiable after so many years, if the terms remained the same, but since they haven't, it's not as justifiable. Also, customers get less of a Subscribe and Save discount (5% vs 15%).

Also as a non Prime customer, I make purchases very occasionally on Amazon and make sure I hit the $35 so I can get the free shipping. They have become incredibly slow about shipping items. My in-stock items have sat in the warehouse for a week or more collecting dust before finally shipping out. I am wondering if Amazon is trying to get people to buy Prime. Lastly, Amazon is not price competitive on things I need most of the time, so I shop on other websites the majority of the time.

^^
this, totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or