U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 03:20 PM

10,294 posts, read 12,654,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
But how is that specific to Amazon. There are dozens, if not hundreds of places online to buy Lee khakis, and you didn't get two day shipping, either, right?

Plus, if you want to return them, an online only store like Amazon has you pay return shipping, but a store with a B&M presence like Kohls or JC Penney or Target or Sears will accept returns in store, even of items they don't carry in store.
I am a Prime member, have been for several years now, so I don't pay any shipping.

I'm not looking to save money so much but what I'm looking for is ease of shopping. I just don't want the hassle if I can avoid it.

The longevity estimator tells me I have another 18 years to live. What is my time worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 03:35 PM

1,968 posts, read 1,051,035 times
I use it when it's free. I have had two free trials and I just got a year free when I changed my wifi service.

Like another poster mentioned above, I find it just as easy to ad items to my Amazon cart until I have the $35 I need for free shipping. For me, having Prime encourages impulse buying. That may not be an issue for everyone.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:49 PM

31,225 posts, read 48,321,757 times
I have used Prime for several years--
We have two homes--one in TX and one in FL
At Christmas it is so easy to order via Amazon lot of presents and have them shipped to FL so I don't have to wrap and mail
My daughter who lives in FL close to our house there is also on my Prime account so she gets her shipping free for Prime items

I like the Amazon streaming on Prime--

For me especially when Prime was less than now it was a no-brainier to use it
Plus I have had very good luck with problem solving --
Last Christmas I ordered something---a powered trimmer--I couldn't find in local area
It was promised with Prime 2 day delivery eventhough it was oversized
When it wasn't delivered I called Amazon and they said they would cancel that order still to be delivered and send another with expedited shipping to get it in time
It was really no big deal but I was hoping they would give me two free months extension on my Prime if I complained--
Didn't get that but the first item came two days after Xmas--when I called about the return because I didn't want to pay for shipping, Amazon told me to just keep it--
So my husband got that one...
Sweet...

Old 01-01-2016, 04:56 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,465,609 times
For me, in my location, the Prime is kind of a no-brainer, given that about three-quarters of the vendors that tout "free shipping!" don't mean include shipping to Alaska. So you shop and go to check out and find they're trying to charge you $75 shipping on a $50 order. It's nuts. Or they ship UPS or FedEx, neither of which deliver to my region...packages sent UPS or FedEx go to Anchorage, then are passed on to the USPS and are sent by the slowest form of USPS mail from there, which doubles or triples shipping time.

Yes, with a little work I can find other sites, or vendors within Amazon, that ship in a sensible way for free. But it's not worth a ton of research when all I want to do is order a pair of shoes or whatever. Easier to just pay for Prime once a year, do my online shopping at Amazon, while checking the "Prime only" box when browsing.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:24 PM

13,819 posts, read 14,056,357 times
Since this is the retirement board, I'm assuming you're older. I'm about 40 and I have an Amazon Prime account. It was invaluable over the holidays when I was shipping gifts home. But with the free shipping and the low costs, it also makes sense to use it to buy groceries, toiletries and anything else you might need.

Also, my roommate has a lot of physical handicaps and hates shopping trips as a result - she buys almost everything that isn't food via Amazon.

I find the instant movie selection unimpressive overall, but there are some gems if you hunt for them.

Like Costco, it pretty much pays for itself pretty quickly.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:32 PM

23,691 posts, read 15,324,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. Amazon Prime is not the great deal it used to be, in my experience. I know there are many who may still find it a good value, but I have noticed many customers are getting less value for their money. I had Amazon Prime and cancelled it before the price increase. First, there is the Add-On Item Program, a BS program in which Amazon claims it can't sell the customer a cheap item because it's too expensive to ship on its own. Amazon's solution is not to charge separate shipping so the customer can still buy the item, but to force the customer to make a minimum purchase before shipping the cheap item, and even then the items often ship separately!

Next there is Prime Pantry, in which Prime members are charged for food shipments. Once again, Amazon claims it is too expensive to ship these items, but it's just another way to get Prime members, who are supposed to be getting free shipping, to pay for shipping.

Then many customers have noticed that the shows which are streamed have commercials, so Netflix is an attractive alternative in this way. And of course there's the obvious subscription price increase, which is justifiable after so many years, if the terms remained the same, but since they haven't, it's not as justifiable. Also, customers get less of a Subscribe and Save discount (5% vs 15%).

Also as a non Prime customer, I make purchases very occasionally on Amazon and make sure I hit the $35 so I can get the free shipping. They have become incredibly slow about shipping items. My in-stock items have sat in the warehouse for a week or more collecting dust before finally shipping out. I am wondering if Amazon is trying to get people to buy Prime. Lastly, Amazon is not price competitive on things I need most of the time, so I shop on other websites the majority of the time.
You have addressed several concerns that I have. I've noticed the add on stuff. I would just put in my cart and move on till I had other orders though. I have no idea how the Pantry works.

We ordered toys for our grand via Amazon this past month, and our order was sent promptly.

On prices, I did note that many cosmetic products I use were cheaper on Amazon than at Walgreens. What products have you found that are more expensive on Amazon?

I really appreciate your feedback. I am still thinking about this. DH has told me that will not change his buying habits, so it will be just me using it, if I spring for it. I do love the idea of not driving around to buy stuff, especially if I know the exact thing I want.

I hate spending $100 before being sure. Thanks again.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:44 PM

23,691 posts, read 15,324,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Since this is the retirement board, I'm assuming you're older. I'm about 40 and I have an Amazon Prime account. It was invaluable over the holidays when I was shipping gifts home. But with the free shipping and the low costs, it also makes sense to use it to buy groceries, toiletries and anything else you might need.

Also, my roommate has a lot of physical handicaps and hates shopping trips as a result - she buys almost everything that isn't food via Amazon.

I find the instant movie selection unimpressive overall, but there are some gems if you hunt for them.

Like Costco, it pretty much pays for itself pretty quickly.
Your assumption is correct. I am 69. I posted here because I wondered if retired people used Amazon Prime. I love hearing the pluses and minuses. It helps me visualize how I might use it. I do agree with not having to trudge around Costco or some other big box store, but I don't do an awful lot of that now. I do shop online though. I buy from several online clothing retailers. And shopping in general here is not great, unless we cross the Columbia River into Portland. I find this to be inconvenient.

The retailer I end up at more than anywhere else is Walgreens. I buy several products there, but I've noticed that their prices are higher than at other places. And, the other places I buy things at are grocers. I hate Macy's, JCP and Sears. In fact, its just hard to find things I want.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I really do.

Happy New Year everyone!

Old 01-01-2016, 06:51 PM

6,780 posts, read 5,404,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Your assumption is correct. I am 69. I posted here because I wondered if retired people used Amazon Prime. I love hearing the pluses and minuses. It helps me visualize how I might use it. I do agree with not having to trudge around Costco or some other big box store, but I don't do an awful lot of that now. I do shop online though. I buy from several online clothing retailers. And shopping in general here is not great, unless we cross the Columbia River into Portland. I find this to be inconvenient.

The retailer I end up at more than anywhere else is Walgreens. I buy several products there, but I've noticed that their prices are higher than at other places. And, the other places I buy things at are grocers. I hate Macy's, JCP and Sears. In fact, its just hard to find things I want.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I really do.

Happy New Year everyone!
If you are the one that goes to Costco and are tired of that, I would get the Prime. My roommate buys things at SAMs for us, so I wouldn't miss the service. I much prefer the members mark brand of dog wee pads, so cancelled that subscription from Amazon. I will continue to buy coffee through them.

To make it easier, just tell yourself, it is $8.33 a month.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:55 PM

4,957 posts, read 3,359,565 times
I spend WAY too much $$$$$ at Amazon so for me, Prime is totally worth it. If I were only to buy once in a while, it probably wouldn't be.

In the last few months alone, I bought all the grandkids gifts with the exception of two who I got gift cards for Barnes & Noble, a birthday present for one of my grandsons, I have bought kitty litter, my Christmas cards, some CDs, socks, dresses, and many other items.

Cat

Old 01-01-2016, 07:21 PM

31,225 posts, read 48,321,757 times
We order our K cups from Amazon and buy in large numbers--better price than Costco because can't get favors/brands there we drink
We know people who use the pantry setup--our daughter for one--they get their cat food in 24 can sets--shipped to house so they don't have to worry about running out--
Plus I buy my Kindle ebooks through Amazon and pay for the Unlimited service--usually can find one or two books a month that are worth the monthly fee...

There are some things that it is better to buy locally--I ordered something this Christmas that I didn't think I would need to return but I do--it wasn't that expensive but shipping was because I expedited it--now to return it will cost almost as much as the item--so we will likely just give it away...
But I rarely have that problem--
I have grandson who loves TumbleLeaf which is a great cartoon I think--non violent lunike many other shows he watches so anytime I can get him to choose it over Ninja Turtles I think it is worth the yearly fee...

I ordered from Amazon a portable DVD player for my daughter several years ago that plays USA and UK DVDs --so she could order set of Downton Abbey early season and watch before it played on PBS here...she uses it for her toddler when they take long car trips or fly...she has lost the in-house charging cord 3 times...the first time I contacted the seller on Amazon and paid a small fee to have replacement cord sent...the second time I contacted them I explained this was the second replacement and they sent it free--no charge, no shipping--(they took pity on me likely thinking I was one who lost it)...
Then my daughter told me she had lost THAT one--so I am done---
But I am sure she could get replacement w/o much problem...

I agree that the streaming content is not as good as it was--but I am looking forward to new season of Bosch--
Transparent is great show and lot of the kids' content is stuff my grandson likes...
There is so much competition for content now that Amazon is likely going to create more and more original material
There are plenty of people trying to cut cable bills and use one or two streaming sites--
Since you can buy anything you want on Amazon and watch it same as Prime streaming, it makes a unified video content source...
It is just too bad that some great films are still not available on streaming....from any source...
Remember it took time to go from VHS to DVD and then Blu-Ray for many prior films--
I don't know if some of those will make it to streaming though--there is just a time gap when trying to acquire rights for things like music played as background or other factors that most people would not even be aware of--
Like a license for any type of advertising in plain view--supposed to get a right-to-use license which is tedious and could be expensive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or