U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 09:47 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,672,193 times

Advertisements

I'd forgotten about Amazon pantry & was reminded today. I went to the site & there were so many things on my list & at lower prices, I was amazed & saved a bundle. Yes, I still have to shop for refrigerator & freezer items but shopping is going to be so much easier for me. It has been such a hassle.

Yes, Prime has certainly helped with my pain issue. I'm never giving it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,994,565 times
One thing that's pricey on Amazon is pasta - 38 percent more a box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Your assumption is correct. I am 69. I posted here because I wondered if retired people used Amazon Prime. I love hearing the pluses and minuses. It helps me visualize how I might use it. I do agree with not having to trudge around Costco or some other big box store, but I don't do an awful lot of that now. I do shop online though. I buy from several online clothing retailers. And shopping in general here is not great, unless we cross the Columbia River into Portland. I find this to be inconvenient.

The retailer I end up at more than anywhere else is Walgreens. I buy several products there, but I've noticed that their prices are higher than at other places. And, the other places I buy things at are grocers. I hate Macy's, JCP and Sears. In fact, its just hard to find things I want.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I really do.

Happy New Year everyone!
See, I don't think that for someone who is used to online shopping it's a great idea. You know how to shop around, stack things up until the shipping is free, etc. For people who see there being two choices, brick and mortar vs Amazon, then I suppose it's NBD, or the person in Alaska - it's such a PITA trying to read around free shipping deals when you don't live in the contiguous US. Or the PP whose time is worth more than any amount they can save.

Try the one month free and see. When I did I was determined I'd prove to my husband it was worth it, and it wasn't at all.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:46 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,672,193 times
And for you that may be true. For a person like myself, who has walking & back problems, it is an amazing advantage. It may not be great for some.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:05 PM

338 posts, read 253,836 times
I have it and order things often. It's very convenient. What do I buy? Books, nutritional supplements (comparing prices with Vitacost first), kitchen things, small electronics and accessories, my TV, my computer, space heater, toys, certain clothes (things that I've already bought), shoes. There are so many things!

I tend not to use the streaming video very much. It seems like the shows I want to watch are more often on Netflix than Amazon (or cost extra). But it's still a nice option to have.

I also recently started backing up my digital pictures to the Amazon Cloud Drive, which is included with Prime.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:15 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,994,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
And for you that may be true. For a person like myself, who has walking & back problems, it is an amazing advantage. It may not be great for some.
May I ask why the urgerncy for the two day shipping, then? In the normal course of my online shopping I rarely end up using Amazon.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:06 AM

5,685 posts, read 8,703,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
But how is that specific to Amazon. There are dozens, if not hundreds of places online to buy Lee khakis, and you didn't get two day shipping, either, right?

Plus, if you want to return them, an online only store like Amazon has you pay return shipping, but a store with a B&M presence like Kohls or JC Penney or Target or Sears will accept returns in store, even of items they don't carry in store.

No, it's a loyalty card because you don't bother shopping around any more, you just go to Amazon because you know you'll get quick free shipping. Often Amazon prices are not the best you can find, and the temptation for quick is not usually necessary. And with having some items Prime and others not they can draw you in with the Prime and keep you for the laziness. I was going to use them for dry groceries and pet supplies, but the prices are really quite high, and many of the brands I use aren't available. It was more sensible for me to set up for local grocery delivery and get milk and produce as well.

Tell me, how often do you shop at a non-Amazon site now you have Prime?
This is incorrect. I find Amazon Prime VERY valuable as I live in a rural area and only go to town ~1x\week.

I buy MANY things from amazon, and returns are free, and no hassle!

Any while es, ANYWHERE you buy you should check prices.... Often I rossrefetence thins and find amazon is cheaper.(like the calk for my house, saved $1+\tube and got it in 2 days.

Should you use it for everything!?
OF COURSE NOT!
No more than you should shop at only one store.

Is prime a useful tool and Has prime saved me WAY MORE than $100
No doubt

Old 01-02-2016, 02:18 AM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
There were a lot for Geico (Dora at the south pole, etc), they're the only actual ones I remember, plus ads before every video for Amazon shows. I've had Netflix for many years now and am just totally anti ad. It might be less annoying for someone who still watches broadcast TV or cable.
I've never seen a commercial. Weird.

OP, you should see if you can get a 30 day free trial. Then you can just check it out.

I don't get the point of the Amazon Pantry, myself. It seems confusing to me. I looked at it more closely today. You have to pay $6 to ship a box of things from the Pantry section to you. There's a little gauge where you can see how full your box is.

Even though I live in the boonies, there is a discount grocery store close by. So if I want just one bag of potato chips (one of the supposed selling points), I'll just pick some up at the grocery store for cheaper. Why pay shipping? I can find what I want normally and have it shipped for free with Prime.

And I would spend way too much time trying to find things I needed to get the most out of the $6 shipping charge. And since I don't get a break on taxes from Amazon, since there's a supply center in CA, it just doesn't make sense to me. I agree that this is just a way to get people to spend more money, trying to fill their box.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:52 AM

19,185 posts, read 15,410,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
No, I do NOT use Amazon Prime. To be honest, I am using Amazon LESS frequently even though my online shopping has increased.

At any given time, I have $300-500 in Amazon credits but it is very rare that I find anything at Amazon that I cannot beat the price locally. I tried the "subscribe and save" product which offers some great deals BUT they always seem to raise the prices the following month.

More often than not, I end up giving the credits to my nephews who use them for their college textbooks.
This^^^ but since we live in a more rural area, I have been using Wal-Mart, Sierra Trading Post and VitaCost for almost everything. Also, hamilton books when they have a particular book beats the Amazon price, even the "used" price quite often. I was easily meeting the minimum for free shipping at Amazon and happy but when Prime hit, they started waiting 10 days to 2 weeks to ship so I just bought it elsewhere and cancelled my order with them. A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to buy the bulk cherries that I always buy and I got "Reserved for prime members". So, I bought elsewhere.

I don't like the idea of being forced to buy something. Plenty of retailers out there to buy from and it you sign up for the deal flyers, you can do pretty good.

I attempted to write them but got some kind of automated message signed by someone with an east Indian name. Wal-Mart is a lot easier to shop and do returns. I was also getting some products from Amazon in bulk nuts/fruit that seemed old all too often.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 2 days ago)

15,527 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
You have to be careful of what you buy on Amazon Prime. Not all prices are the lowest but most are. I don't know how I even got Amazon Prime but they did deduct almost a hundred bucks from my checking account for using it. I guess it depends on how much you are going to buy on line to see if it is worth it. Needless to say the number of products they sell is enormous.
The lowest compared to what? I have found ebay to beat their prices on almost everything I buy, which are usually books, ironically enough since they started out as a bookseller, although I always buy used books. I also save money on jewelry and some pet supplies and medicines. Ebay's shipping is much faster, the same day or the next day in most cases. Walmart.com beats their prices on my hygiene items and beauty products.

NOTE TO PET OWNERS: I never buy dog food on Amazon because they are far more expensive than Chewy.com. Chewy offers free shipping on orders over $49, and I get my dog food in two or three days. And I use brick and mortar on clothing because nothing ever fits when I buy online, so I inevitably end up having to return it.

I do buy a bunch of Kindle books, but I have found the Kindle book prices have increased tremendously since September 2015. I am aware that that is the result of the publishers increasing prices, not Amazon, so most of my Kindle book purchases are either from super cheap independent authors, or free ones, because the paper books are cheaper. I have also purchased some incredibly cheap book series as epubs on ebay far cheaper than as Kindle Books. I got 30 Stephen King books on epub for only $9 and uploaded it to my Kindle for free with Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We use Prime relentlessly and buy a lot on Amazon in general.

Recent Amazon purchases:

4 $100 Amazon gift cards
1 Amazon Prime membership (as a gift)
1 Honda EU2000I 2000 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator (Not Prime)

1 Honda EU2000I 2000 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator (Prime)
1 Cover for Honda generator
1 set of DC charging cables for Honda generator
Lingerie
30-up Avery white labels
Set of 3 Anne Tyler books

I buy 95% of my clothing either on Amazon or on Costco.com. I hardly ever go into Costco any more. It's too hard to find parking.

I had a $1,000 purchase reimbursed by Amazon this Christmas season when UPS lost the shipment.
Totally agree with you on the Costco parking. What a headache! I can't believe my wife still goes there once a week. It has been proven that Prime members tend to spend far more money on Amazon than non Prime members. I wonder if that's just because they feel obligated to shop on Amazon because they are paying to shop there. I'm not saying Prime isn't worth it to you or anyone else. Everyone has a right to choose how to spend their money, but your gift cards, Prime membership purchase, and the one Generator don't really count as an argument for purchasing Prime since they aren't Prime purchases.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:20 AM

3,445 posts, read 10,177,715 times
Amazon Prime is one of my favorite things in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or