Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 12:56 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,514,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've come here with questions before, and you guys always answer thoughtfully. When I asked about hearing aids, I got some good advice, with pointers to Costco, and we are going to follow up there after DH has his eye surgery.

But about Amazon Prime: do you have it, and do you like it? Has it been useful to you, and is it worth the up front cost of $100? I know some family members who do use it extensively to buy things. I am not sure about the streaming, but I do know they buy certain things that way. Part of my question concerns pricing. We do pay to shop at Costco, but we have confidence that we aren't paying too much for anything--in fact we feel that we usually we get good deals.

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do you feel you get good value? It looks like you can buy a multitude of things that way, although not everything in the world.

Any insight about this? Thanks in advance!
We got about a year ago because we ordered a milling machine and shipping would've been $150 vs. free with Amazon Prime. I did find myself choosing the option that qualified for Amazon Prime over cheaper ones. Lately, I've started watching a few movies through it, so I feel we're getting enough value from it to renew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 PM

40 posts, read 34,392 times
Love Amazon Prime. Have had it since 2011. My reasons are similar to many here. It saves me time, and since I'm still working, free time is pretty valuable to me. When I retire in a few years, I'll re-evaluate that to see how important it still is. I've bought everything from kitchen items to electronics (TV, camera, laptop) to furniture, games, jewelry and clothing.

Do I come out ahead financially? Probably not, but I don't think I'm that far behind. Without Prime, I would likely usually wait for the super saver shipping, or go out and physically buy the items myself. But it sure does satisfy the immediate gratification bug inside me Since the price went up AND they had to start charging sales tax, definitely a bummer on the financial side.

I do listen to Prime music, and enjoy that. When I work from home, it's nice to just holler over at Alexa and have her pop some different music on. I don't stream movies/TV much, but I might have to get the Starz add-on (at least for the free 7 day trial) so that I can watch two particular movies that I've been wanting to see (Guardians of the Galaxy and Into the Woods).

This year for Christmas, I had many of my presents shipped directly from Amazon to Colorado instead of figuring out how to pack them in my luggage. When a wine glass showed up so shattered that the shards were leaking out of the sealed package, the return was quite easy. And last year for Christmas, I literally started shopping on December 22nd (courtesy of the procrastination bug), bought 100% on Amazon and every single present was delivered on Christmas Eve.

My Prime renewal is due in a week, and I'll be paying it again.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:01 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've come here with questions before, and you guys always answer thoughtfully. When I asked about hearing aids, I got some good advice, with pointers to Costco, and we are going to follow up there after DH has his eye surgery.

But about Amazon Prime: do you have it, and do you like it? Has it been useful to you, and is it worth the up front cost of $100? I know some family members who do use it extensively to buy things. I am not sure about the streaming, but I do know they buy certain things that way. Part of my question concerns pricing. We do pay to shop at Costco, but we have confidence that we aren't paying too much for anything--in fact we feel that we usually we get good deals.

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do you feel you get good value? It looks like you can buy a multitude of things that way, although not everything in the world.

Any insight about this? Thanks in advance!
I love it. And also Netflix. Great value...considering what going to a movie costs.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:33 PM

2,838 posts, read 3,178,654 times
How do you find a phone number, chat or something other way to contact Amazon when there is a problem with Prime delivery? I don't see a link to do that.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:39 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
I'm thinking of it for cat food. Seems we always run out at an inconvenient time. Three cats don't appreciate that!

Old 01-04-2016, 04:53 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,503,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
How do you find a phone number, chat or something other way to contact Amazon when there is a problem with Prime delivery? I don't see a link to do that.
You can scroll to the bottom of the home page and down below all the products and images there's 4 columns of links. The far right column is labelled "Let Us Help You", under that is a link that says "Returns & Replacements".
Or you can go to Your Account at the top of the page and select "Your Orders". Each order has a "Return or Replace" button.

If you have a problem unrelated to an order you placed - for example I rec'd something that I didn't order - then you can go to the Home Page and in the main search window at top (pulldown window should say All Departments), type in "contact us" (without quote marks).
That'll take you to a page where you can choose either email, phone, or chat. If you choose email or phone, you'll usually hear back from them within a few minutes. If you choose chat, they'll come on immediately.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 01-04-2016 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 05:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,557,601 times
Windwalker2,

type [Amazon email] into google.com (without using brackets)

the 2nd choice that comes up from above search is Amazon.com Contact us

choose Amazon.com Contact us and it takes you to the official Email and Phone Amazon form to report a problem......and that form allows you to choose whether you want Amazon to contact you via phone or via email .....(and provides space to describe problem)

(and you can email or phone Amazon from that official form)

or

type [telephone Amazon customer support] into google.com

immediately up comes the following:

Amazon.com, Inc./Customer service

1 (888) 280-4331

Old 01-04-2016, 06:48 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,383,234 times
I have used Amazon Prime for several years and am happy with it.

I don't have a car. COSTCO and Sam's Club are miles away, and both at least a mile or more from a public bus stop. Amazon delivers to my doorstep, including heavy bulk items like kitty litter or rice or garden soil/compost. Furniture too.

Last year I treated myself to a birthday present and bought the Firestick and Amazon Echo (Alexa) when they went on sale. Those purchases made me a Prime power user.

I get a free book a month on Kindle.

I originally meant to use Firestick for Netflix and Amazon Prime. My Amazon credits mean that I can get free apps and now I watch free streaming app extras such as BBC and Sky News as well as special news feeds. There are huge backlogs of series episodes and also original programming on Netflix and Amazon. Thanks to the Firestick, it only takes a few clicks with the TV remotes if I don't like the basic cable lineup I have.

I occasionally listened to a music clip here and there. Now that I have Alexa, and the Prime membership, I can call up a huge amount of free music by name or category from the Prime library as well as numerous radio stations via Tuned In or IHeart radio or Pandora (which I don't use). That's really expanded my horizons. And if I hate the song the command "Alexa, skip" will drop the song immediately.

Amazon Prime also has (for the moment) unlimited photo storage on the cloud. I don't use it, but I can see how that would be handy for some. I've lost a lot of photos that were backed up on floppies or zip drives or flash drives that died over the years. If I wanted, I could free up a few Gigabytes on my phone by uploading all the photos from it. If I lost my phone or my laptop died (again) I wouldn't lose a bunch of photos due to corrupted/degraded/obsolete backups.

The free "two-day" shipping seems to be more of a suggestion than a rule. I've had items show up in 24 hours. Sometimes, they show up months later. I would not suggest expedited shipping as the sole reason to pay for membership.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:14 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You can scroll to the bottom of the home page and down below all the products and images there's 4 columns of links. The far right column is labelled "Let Us Help You", under that is a link that says "Returns & Replacements".
Or you can go to Your Account at the top of the page and select "Your Orders". Each order has a "Return or Replace" button.

If you have a problem unrelated to an order you placed - for example I rec'd something that I didn't order - then you can go to the Home Page and in the main search window at top (pulldown window should say All Departments), type in "contact us" (without quote marks).
That'll take you to a page where you can choose either email, phone, or chat. If you choose email or phone, you'll usually hear back from them within a few minutes. If you choose chat, they'll come on immediately.

If you received something you didn't order, assuming they didn't charge you, keep it! Its their problem to chase you down! The law is even on your side, you don't have to pay for something you didn't order/solicit.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:20 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,440,582 times
I've had Amazon Prime for years. I even order groceries online. The free shipping more than pays for the annual fee, and then there's the free video & music streaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products