Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 11:54 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Get a private mailbox. That's what I did, because packages will disappear if left in the hall. They will sign for my packages and keep them safe until I pick them up.
Good idea, but in many areas Amazon actually has pick-up lockers https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/accoun...=searchStores&
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:50 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Default Amazon Prime

I bumped this thread up because something interesting happened to me this morning with Amazon. I checked my bank account this morning, and a membership for Amazon Prime was pending as of yesterday. And I rarely order anything from Amazon, I can find anything that I want on eBay.

I immediately cancelled the membership, and called customer service. He checked everything, and assured me that it was cancelled, so I went back in and totally deleted my Amazon account.

I don't need that problem, I mostly order from eBay and Walmart, I don't need Amazon.

Last edited by moved; 03-30-2016 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I bumped this thread up because something interesting happened to me this morning with Amazon. I checked my bank account this morning, and a membership for Amazon Prime was pending as of yesterday. And I rarely order anything from Amazon, I can find anything that I want on eBay.

I immediately cancelled the membership, and called customer service. He checked everything, and assured me that it was cancelled, so I went back in and totally deleted my Amazon account.

I don't need that problem, I'll stick to ordering from eBay, like I always do.
they do make it really easy to get Prime in your cart. I am a secondary Prime member; it is on my wife's account but I can get the free 2 day (sometimes 1 day) shipping but not the video. We have separate accounts because I have Android apps and music collection that would get confused with her stuff. Anyway, they are all the time trying to get me to add my own Prime membership with just a click as I check out. They probably offered you free 2 day shipping on something you bought to "try it out" and down in the small print had the 30 days to cancel verbiage. I use Amazon and eBay, but tend to prefer Amazon for anything pricey or iffy (that I might not like) as returns are always free and I have never had them give me a hard time even when I don't have all the packaging or tore the box or whatever.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

I don't need that problem, I'll stick to ordering from eBay, like I always do.
They did the same thing to me a couple of years ago. I dropped them. I know I opted out of the auto renewal, but they still renewed anyway.

I tried it again last year, but that was it. I can get the usual things I need from other places with free shipping anyway. For example, coffee pods from Rogers Coffee. Anything from the military exchange or Walmart is free shipping with a 49 dollar order.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:54 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I cancelled the entire Amazon account. I can get what I need without them.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:37 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
The first time we realized how many heavy regular purchase grocery items we had (everything from laundry detergent to cat litter) we were hooked.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:01 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
I just finished the 30 day trial. I could not find much of anything I wanted to watch on the video. Another very annoying thing is that every other entry in the video list is a paid (extra) one. The other problem is they let(bait) you watch a certain series then when you go to look for more they all cost extra. On the shipping, not all the items I ordered where even available with Prime. The ones that were though did indeed show up in 2 days. I did some more searching and found that almost all the items I was looking at cost substantially more when they were available Prime. Sometimes even more than I would have paid them extra for 2 day shipping! I see nothing prime about this service.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:09 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I just finished the 30 day trial. I could not find much of anything I wanted to watch on the video. Another very annoying thing is that every other entry in the video list is a paid (extra) one. The other problem is they let(bait) you watch a certain series then when you go to look for more they all cost extra. On the shipping, not all the items I ordered where even available with Prime. The ones that were though did indeed show up in 2 days. I did some more searching and found that almost all the items I was looking at cost substantially more when they were available Prime. Sometimes even more than I would have paid them extra for 2 day shipping! I see nothing prime about this service.
Odd. We have done really well with Prime and I do check prices. I would be interested in seeing some specific examples of something being cheaper without Prime.
Please post some links.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:13 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I guess that is true if you are buying paper towels or a bottle of window cleaner, but we buy a lot of stuff on Amazon prime and I price check every single item on google shopping and compare it to local stores as well as online stores. and overall there are significant savings on Amazon if you look for them. Some of the best deals are found on Amazon warehouse where new items are discounted because of minor issues like damaged packaging. A recent example, Epson printer ink on Amazon was $2 cheaper than Staples and the nearest store is 8 miles from me, it's a no brainer to buy it on Amazon and in the case of the ink, I got it the next day even though it was supposed to be 2 day delivery.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:19 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
Sorry, not like I took notes or anything. I remember I was looking at an antenna for $49 and it was Prime so I thought cool, I get it in 2 days. I looked at other prices and there was a non-Prime for $42 and it only took 3 days. I asked my wife(who had been looking at getting Prime) if she noticed that the Prime stuff was more expensive and she said yes. She also noted a significant percentage of items she wanted were not Prime candidates. I am not anti-Amazon, just that this Prime stuff does not cut it for me. I can definitely see the benefit if UPS is at your house every day for $2 items. Funny I was just on Amazon a minute ago and there is a new banner at the top prompting me to continue membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products