U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:38 PM

892 posts, read 2,216,979 times

Advertisements

how about a trip in a fighter jet? only $3500-$5000 depending on how long the dogfight. That's going to be my gift to myself one day.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,682,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Are their names Andrew, Richard, Suzanne, and Timothy? If so....those are my first cousins in Texas. You described them very well
No. That would be funny.

That jet figher one... never heard of being able to do that. Hmmm. Will remember that for when I have more money to spend on hubby. He is getting the Nascar experience this year at Texas Motor Speedway. One of our good friends that has done it said you go around a couple of times after one class and they tell you how fast you can go. Then you get out and do another class and then it is as fast as you can go (or want to). He said he was going so fast he started puking. He did not stop and kept on going. GEEZ. I'm just going to make sure I have gloves, plastic bags and a change of clothes for him.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,039,166 times
Okay to the guys out there i am thinking of getting my husband and x- box 360. We are moving so I thought it would be fun to pack it in with the rest of the stuff and when we get our new place have him unpack it like a regular old box? Good Idea or bad idea

Old 11-22-2006, 03:09 AM

link for fighter jet. They have lowered their price since the last time I checked. Now it is between $2000 & $3000. Can't wait to go!!! This is a very cool website. Stuff for everyone.
http://www.redballoondays.com.au/cat...er/jet-fighter

Old 11-22-2006, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Okay to the guys out there i am thinking of getting my husband and x- box 360. We are moving so I thought it would be fun to pack it in with the rest of the stuff and when we get our new place have him unpack it like a regular old box? Good Idea or bad idea
Sounds good if you will be moving before Christmas but let him unpack that box last as he might not finish packing because he has new games to play.
(sorry not a guy here )

Old 11-22-2006, 11:27 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,518,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
This reminds me of what happened a few years ago when I was at Target and asked the cashier for 3 $100 gift cards. The lady behind me was like, "I want to be on your gift list". No, you don't want to be in the position these kids are that I am getting these for. They are family but have had a HORRIBLE time. They have had to support themselves since a very young age. The oldest is now 21 and the only one that stayed in school only because he moved in w/ a friend at 14. The other two.... not so. The middle one is 19 and clueless, lazy, bum, big talker. Gonna get rich throwing the paper when he actually can find a job. Then when he finds a job he does not show up after the 3rd day. The youngest, a girl has been held out of school to babysit round the clock her much younger step siblings (those 5 are now w/ the state ). And this woman thought she wanted that.
Why would you want to give the 19 year old $100 if he is clueless, lazy, a bum and big talker? That is only enabling him to continue to be helpless. Hence, the money is not helping him but only hurting him.

Old 11-23-2006, 06:32 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,682,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
Why would you want to give the 19 year old $100 if he is clueless, lazy, a bum and big talker? That is only enabling him to continue to be helpless. Hence, the money is not helping him but only hurting him.
It was not cash but the child did have to buy his own clothes & food.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:32 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,518,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
It was not cash but the child did have to buy his own clothes & food.
I know it wasn't cash; I should have used the correct term, gift card. Nevertheless, I was always taught that giving only enables children to be helpless. Right, he had to buy his own clothes and food so therefore, he should have worked to earn the money to purchase what he needed.

Oh well, I'm sure it was a predicament for you. I just always think of my darling daughter who worked herself to pieces over 40 hours a week and for a while, she had two jobs at a time. She wanted to go to Baylor and then went on to Dallas Baptist for her Masters. She did it all on her own and I admire her so. She is a very successful counselor in the metroplex. She wanted that expensive education and being a single mom with a younger child too, I couldn't afford that kind of tuition.

And as she says today, "Mom, it all just made me stronger and more responsible." She knows the meaning of work as does her brother although he chose not to go to college.

Both of my children were asked by me before they turned 16, "Do you want to ride the bus home from school or buy a car? They knew that buying a car meant they'd have to work after school and on weekends and with no hesitation, they each choose work. They paid for their cars, insurance, and gasoline.

I was truly blessed with wonderful teenagers who have made a difference in society.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:14 AM

2,098 posts, read 5,909,048 times
Gift cards!!!!! Love to get them, love to give them. It's not as much fun as "opening" gifts of course, but it's practical and it allows someone to shop for what they truly need or want. Books are another great gift (for readers of course) because they're not cheap and people often don't have the money to buy several at a time. Theme baskets are wonderful. I know a few people who have made up a box or basket with certain themes. For example one was a basket of all your "necessary" halloween decor. Another was all Christmas decor. Another was a movie theme, in the basket were a couple of dvd's, popcorn, twizzlers, etc. Lastly, I've seen a breakfast one...syrup, different pancake mixes, waffle mix, coffee and two mugs. They use these a lot at tricky trays (mom's you know what those are) but they are wonderful gifts for any occasion!!!

Old 11-24-2006, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 3,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klosk View Post
Well, You must be VERY WEALTHY!!!!!!!!!! Please add me to your list, I want a Rolls, A European Cruise and I could also use a new mink!!!!!!
Please add me to your list, I want red paint for klosk new mink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products