Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,301 times

Advertisements

For those of us with less money - How about giving a gift certificate to a jet fighter simulator. The only one I know of first hand is in Orange County CA. You actually sit in the ####### of a jet simulator and dogfight with your friends or family members. Supposedly, you can land on a virtual aircraft carrier as well. Not the real thing, but looks fun and would be a unique, affordable gift.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:42 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen A. View Post
For those of us with less money - How about giving a gift certificate to a jet fighter simulator. The only one I know of first hand is in Orange County CA. You actually sit in the ####### of a jet simulator and dogfight with your friends or family members. Supposedly, you can land on a virtual aircraft carrier as well. Not the real thing, but looks fun and would be a unique, affordable gift.

Could you please send me their website or whereabouts? I'd like to go.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:25 AM

49 posts, read 210,209 times
For kids, those video game controllers that hook up to a tv, not a playstation seem popular. I'm a big fan of high thread count sheets from overstock, it's a gift some wouldn't splurge for on their own and a bargain. I think coffee, olive oil, and the like are great for people who have too much stuff already. Slippers and led flashlights and xm radio setups have been good gifts, too, in my experience.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 AM

613 posts, read 798,216 times
1. gift certificates to favorite salon

2. movie tickets

3. picture album of favorite photos and memories

4. visa gift cards

5. gift certificate for house cleanings/car washes

and for the ones who have everything--

i love this one.... a shadow box with items from the past be it your childs outfit they wore home from hospital, pacifier, birth certificate,etc....

granny's old glasses, hankies, a necklace she wore, and maybe a card or letter she gave you....there are so many things you can do with those shadow boxes for loved ones.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:03 PM

421 posts, read 347,855 times
I'm getting my teens Visa Gift cards. These kids are too picky.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I've done more thinking since this thread began. I know that I'd really enjoy a new pair of leather slippers lined in sheepskin wool. Those feel so good and my pair I have now are five years old and I don't know if I should pop them into the wash and see what happens, or?
The other great gift idea I was reminded of here by the guy who got the anonymous chocolates in PA. He got a box of Marie Belle Chocolates from New York. They're an exclusive chocolatier and their chocolates are beyond exquisite. I had them for the first time last year at a friend's house and they're so amazingly good that you eat them slowly and just go into ecstacy savoring them. Each one is a work of art as they're individually painted with edible art. You have to get June Allyson to give you some Depend Undergarments before you start as you will experience a great deal of excitement over these chocolates They're so good. After I read Scranton's thread about the anonymous gift it reminded me of those chocolates, so I looked up Marie Belle Chocolates through Google, opened their site, and investigated their products. They will be my Christmas gifts to my parents, sister and brother-in-law, grandmother, and close friends...and...they deliver FedX overnight to the person you want to give them too... If you buy some for others, make sure to get some for yourself...gosh I wouldn't mind having one now!

Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Great idea MoMark. I might have to do that for some good friends. I was thinking of ordering some wine from their favorite college w/ the private label or special one printed but they were so backlogged even a month ago that it would be after Christmas before any orders shipped . Another good idea for someone that grills out alot is a private brand. These are pretty cool, you can have their intials or some other symbol that they like custom made. The prices are not that bad either.

The only person I get a gift card for is a niece that is 17. There is a teen salon/spa here in far North Dallas called "Seventeen" and I got her a gift card to there last year and she LOVED it. I may do it again this year. It is a huge treat for her as she can not afford such on her own.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:44 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,400 times
I am not one for gift certificates (on birthdays I will) but I just thought of a good one for someone that is a recent widow. schwans.com I posted it somewhere else here. Meals delivered to your home.
I don't like being the only one on here late a night. It looks like I am hijacking the forum

Old 12-07-2006, 10:18 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
Something that I would like and presume someone else might as well is a really nice pen in a leather pen case. I hate cheezy pens and am careful not to lose nice ones but somehow on a vacation to NC several years ago I arrived home without my Mont Blanc (it was a gift). I have missed that pen ever since and think with a case it would be easier to keep track of. This might be an appropriate gift for someone graduating from college or starting a new job (one that requires somewhat professional attire). I'm kind of a throwback in that I would much prefer to write a check than swipe a credit card.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:30 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Something that I would like and presume someone else might as well is a really nice pen in a leather pen case. I hate cheezy pens and am careful not to lose nice ones but somehow on a vacation to NC several years ago I arrived home without my Mont Blanc (it was a gift). I have missed that pen ever since and think with a case it would be easier to keep track of. This might be an appropriate gift for someone graduating from college or starting a new job (one that requires somewhat professional attire). I'm kind of a throwback in that I would much prefer to write a check than swipe a credit card.
I like nice pens too, but I always lose them. I'm just grateful I have the same pair of expensive sunglasses still. I bought them in 2002 and I still have them and they've been with me through European vacations, my work stint in the Philippines, all over California, Las Vegas, and now in Missouri and I love 'em! I can't believe I still have them! As for pens...I don't think I'd be able to not lose one yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products