Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 12:33 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
State issued Ids can also be scanned and I thought passports could be as well.
State issued can be, since they are essentially driver's licenses without the driver part, but many places cannot scan passports, and I have not personally seen anyone scan a passport; they just type the information into their computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 12:03 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,444,419 times
If they ask for your name, address, and/or phone number as part of a return policy, I will never shop at that store again. That's why I avoid Best Buy. My aunt asked me if she could piggy-back on my Costco membership because she had bought 2 TVs at Best Buy and each did not work for some reason. She bought the TV and I set it up.

We went to her Best Buy to return the second TV that had no picture, but had sound. That experience sucked! They wanted her name, address, and phone number and the reason for the return. I told them that they were selling broken TVs and this was the second one that she bought. The only explanation I could think of with two different TV brands having the same problem is that they literally "drop ship" the boxes at the dock in the back of the store.

Lo, and behold, the Geek Squad was testing the TV behind our back during the return to make sure it was broken! Do you think we would be lying!?! I would have just said that we didn't like the TV instead.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
This is good because I've talked to TRU worker and she told me people often bring items that don't belong to the store and tries to get refund or store credit.

Same for Target someone would steal merchandise from another store and come back to get a refund without a receipt.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Lo, and behold, the Geek Squad was testing the TV behind our back during the return to make sure it was broken! Do you think we would be lying!?! I would have just said that we didn't like the TV instead.
What, you don't think people lie about that kind of stuff ALL the time? And that somehow by just looking at you they should magically know that you are an exception?
Should we even go into the fact that a lot of people who bring back things they think are broken don't know how to use them or that sometimes the fix is relatively simple? My favorite is the customer who brought back a 'defective' solar calculator for a refund that I 'fixed' by peeling off the plastic overlay on the LED display.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:45 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post

A while back, Bath And Body Works instituted scannage of your DL for returns. We were not made aware of this until we had to return an item. I have never shopped there again.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Nonsense. I have never had an experience where my ID was scanned to purchase alcohol or age-restricted medication. They verify my age visually and return the ID.

Also, in my experience, most stores do not request for an ID if you paid by credit card.

It's not nonsense. Go to any store and try to buy pseudoephedrine and see what happens. It's not only age restricted, it's quantity restricted. They enter your DL info into a database that tracks your purchases so can't go from store to store stockpiling the meds. Thank you your local meth-heads for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products