U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 05:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Okay, you stand there and wait while all that @#$! has to be manually typed in, or take two seconds to dig it out and have it swiped and be done. (and that nice plastic window is usually covering the last two digits of the birth year on nearly every ID I've ever seen in a wallet)
Hey, gimme your wallet. Takes me longer to dig it out, hand it over, and stuff back in, and I'm the one spending money so, why shouldn't I make them type it in. And mine shows the date just fine, so on second thought, you keep that wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 01:14 PM

24,326 posts, read 33,577,660 times
I don't allow my DL to be scanned. My wallet has a slot with a plastic window where I put my DL so the information can be read visually. I hand the entire thing to the clerk and watch them type in my info, or I dictate the info to them.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:29 PM

384 posts, read 460,772 times
Its been going on for a while. Lowes and home depot do it

Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 PM

36,770 posts, read 11,104,669 times
If this is their return policy, it should be posted.

Beyond that, this "license scanning" is getting ridiculous. Recently, when I bought a car they asked for it, as did the receptionist at my dentist's office when I went for a routine cleaning. I refused both times.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:01 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,128,559 times
Re scanning DL...No and no.

I don't even give my phone number when asked. Nonya Biz.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:09 AM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Nonsense. I have never had an experience where my ID was scanned to purchase alcohol or age-restricted medication. They verify my age visually and return the ID.

Also, in my experience, most stores do not request for an ID if you paid by credit card.
Its not nonsense just because you claim it has never happened to you. Where I have lived, they do scan ids for such purposes. Its a way to keep people from using fake or altered ids.

Paying with a credit card doesn't change anything. The item needs to be ringed up before you can pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
I hate digging out my DL from my wallet. It isn't the security risk that bugs me, it's that every wallet I've ever had has a specific spot for it, that has a nice plastic window in it so everything on it can be read easily without taking it out. Trying to take my DL out of that slot is such a pita because it's made to hold the thing in there securely. Last time I was carded and they asked for the card to slide, I left. If they can't be arsed to read and type my info manually so I don't have to dig it out of the near death grip that pocket has, I can't be arsed to spend my money there.
Every restaurant I've ever worked at has required customers to take their id out of the wallet. Not to scan it, but to have a better ideal if the id is real or fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
However, I have returned a couple of things to Walmart (I had the receipt) and haven't even been asked for I.D.
I believe Wal-Mart only requires one when you don't have a receipt since they limit the number of non receipt returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The only reason for scanning is for not manually entering the information. A person is not required to have a driver's license nor do many people have one. Many people have either a state issued ID or just a passport.
State issued Ids can also be scanned and I thought passports could be as well.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:00 AM

11,163 posts, read 14,808,380 times
Most state IDs we get can be scanned. We are also required to 'touch' the ID during the visual inspection if alcohol is purchased, as a part of checking for fraudulent IDs. If you refuse to remove it from your wallet we refuse the sale.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:45 PM

9,573 posts, read 12,516,973 times
Many states have limited information scan systems available to merchants that allows them to swipe the state license/ID card and obtain the information required by law. Example is Missouri that will show the person's name, date of birth, physical features, and any other information on the document the state requires the merchant to check. In most states this is limited to sales where age restrictions are in place such as tobacco or liquor sales. Other states allow any merchant to scan a license or ID card so long as the information retrieved is limited to only what the merchant needs for acceptable business reasons and would already be available from the face of the document.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:43 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I guess she doesn't buy alcohol, medicine containing pseudoephedrine or anything that is age restricted, as most store also scans your id for those purchases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Nonsense. I have never had an experience where my ID was scanned to purchase alcohol or age-restricted medication. They verify my age visually and return the ID.

Also, in my experience, most stores do not request for an ID if you paid by credit card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its not nonsense just because you claim it has never happened to you. Where I have lived, they do scan ids for such purposes. Its a way to keep people from using fake or altered ids.

Paying with a credit card doesn't change anything. The item needs to be ringed up before you can pay for it.
Actually it is nonsense. Your claim that most stores scan licenses for alcohol is pretty much false. Scanning machines used by establishments that sell alcohol is still in the minority. I suggest you read Samantha Kuebler's work and academic research to learn more.

At many big chain stores, using a credit card eliminates the need for them to scan your license for a return.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:50 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Actually it is nonsense. Your claim that most stores scan licenses for alcohol is pretty much false. Scanning machines used by establishments that sell alcohol is still in the minority. I suggest you read Samantha Kuebler's work and academic research to learn more.
Just because it may not be your experience, does not mean my experiences are false.

My SO bought some sort of allergy medicine the other week at Target (I don't remember what exactly it was, but it contained pseudoephedrine), they scanned his license for the purchase because they were prompted to by the computer. When I buy alcohol at the grocery store or at Target they scan my ID. They don't at Trader Joe's or Lucky's, but most of the larger grocery stores do.

I worked at Target as a cashier in North Carolina, and we were instructed to scan everyone's ID who was purchasing an item that needed age verification as it cuts down on the use of fake or altered IDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products