Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:30 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times

Advertisements

Bamboozled: Toys"R"Us return policy missing an important disclosure | NJ.com

Quote:
She told the clerk she was happy to provide her ID, but she didn't want it to be scanned.
Harper said she asked the clerk, and later, the manager, what the store does with the information. The reply was that they "use it to track returns," Harper said.
Interesting comments -- over 400 of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 03:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
So she was okay if they typed in the information on her ID, but not if they scanned it? That makes no sense.

I guess she doesn't buy alcohol, medicine containing pseudoephedrine or anything that is age restricted, as most store also scans your id for those purchases.

Doesn't Walmart also scan IDs for returns? This isn't something only Toys R US does.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:05 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So she was okay if they typed in the information on her ID, but not if they scanned it? That makes no sense.

I guess she doesn't buy alcohol, medicine containing pseudoephedrine or anything that is age restricted, as most store also scans your id for those purchases.

Doesn't Walmart also scan IDs for returns? This isn't something only Toys R US does.
Nonsense. I have never had an experience where my ID was scanned to purchase alcohol or age-restricted medication. They verify my age visually and return the ID.

Also, in my experience, most stores do not request for an ID if you paid by credit card.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
This is becoming common with many stores, it is to combat fraudulent returns.

One form of this fraud is "renting", which a person will use something, like a dress or a tool, and return after they are finished with it. Many stores will accept returns without a receipt, giving a gift card or something, which opens the door to stolen items being returned. This is not just to target customers, but employees as well who can be in on the fraud.

I have never had someone scan my ID for buying alcohol or OTCs.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:33 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,175 times
I hate digging out my DL from my wallet. It isn't the security risk that bugs me, it's that every wallet I've ever had has a specific spot for it, that has a nice plastic window in it so everything on it can be read easily without taking it out. Trying to take my DL out of that slot is such a pita because it's made to hold the thing in there securely. Last time I was carded and they asked for the card to slide, I left. If they can't be arsed to read and type my info manually so I don't have to dig it out of the near death grip that pocket has, I can't be arsed to spend my money there.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:51 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Nonsense. I have never had an experience where my ID was scanned to purchase alcohol or age-restricted medication. They verify my age visually and return the ID.

Also, in my experience, most stores do not request for an ID if you paid by credit card.
The supermarkets in my area (at least ShopRite, which rules New Jersey) do scan driver's licenses if you buy wine or beer.

However, I have returned a couple of things to Walmart (I had the receipt) and haven't even been asked for I.D.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
The only reason for scanning is for not manually entering the information. A person is not required to have a driver's license nor do many people have one. Many people have either a state issued ID or just a passport.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:47 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
It has not one thing to do w/ tracking returns, that's just their lie. It's covert and illegal harvesting of confidential information, which is protected by law. This happened to me several years ago at a Walmart in Texas whilst buying a bottle of wine. I asked the clerk what the &$#@ she was doing when she attempted to swipe my ID, and she said that it was a new federal law. I told her that only law enforcement agencies were allowed to swipe ID's (true), and asked for the phone number of the manager. After finally reaching him, he repeated that lie, so I called several liquor stores in the area, figuring they would know about this. They had never heard of it, and never swiped anyone's ID. I then called the police, who were also mystified, and didn't like the sound of it. When even Texas police don't like something concerning rights and privacy, you know you have a problem. I also called the newspaper, who were VERY interested in this development, and told me they would have a reporter contact the store.

The next call was to the manager at Walmart again, where I left a message that I was going to go to the newspapers and state attorney general on this, and gave him the info on all the places I had contacted that day. The next day I went in to buy the wine and they never mentioned swiping my ID. You just have to stand up to these slime balls. That is sensitive, confidential information on those ID's, and swiping them is a violation of privacy and law. It contains your address, phone number, social security number, license number, and all manner of things that a store has no legal right to ask for. For the four years we lived in Galveston, they never once asked to swipe anyone's ID ever again. When they attempt to scan your ID, just forcefully refuse and demand to speak to the manager or you will be contacting the police, the newspapers, and your attorney. Come on people. If you don't stand up for your rights and just meekly let them be taken away, well, you don't deserve any privacy or freedom, do you?

Last edited by smarino; 01-05-2016 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 12:18 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
The Texas statute that went into effect on September 1, 2001,82 takes a hard-line approach to the issue of private enterprises swiping drivers' licenses to verify age and subsequently retaining the electroni- cally encrypted data. The law, part of the Alcoholic Beverage Code, states that an individual or business may access the electronically en- coded information on a driver's license to verify proof of age information in accordance with the code.83 It further states that the individual or business may not retain the information retrieved from the scan in a database.8 4 The information can only be saved if the alcohol commission requires the entity to retain the information.
http://repository.jmls.edu/cgi/viewc...&context=jitpl

Old 01-06-2016, 12:42 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
I hate digging out my DL from my wallet. It isn't the security risk that bugs me, it's that every wallet I've ever had has a specific spot for it, that has a nice plastic window in it so everything on it can be read easily without taking it out. Trying to take my DL out of that slot is such a pita because it's made to hold the thing in there securely. Last time I was carded and they asked for the card to slide, I left. If they can't be arsed to read and type my info manually so I don't have to dig it out of the near death grip that pocket has, I can't be arsed to spend my money there.
Okay, you stand there and wait while all that @#$! has to be manually typed in, or take two seconds to dig it out and have it swiped and be done. (and that nice plastic window is usually covering the last two digits of the birth year on nearly every ID I've ever seen in a wallet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
It has not one thing to do w/ tracking returns, that's just their lie. It's covert and illegal harvesting of confidential information, which is protected by law.
Wrong and wrong. It is used for tracking fraudulent returns and age verification among other things, and it is legal in many places.

"Unfortunately, the law has a lot of exceptions in it, exceptions that basically allow any business, any business to swipe your driver's license," Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif., said. Stores' ID swipe return policy worries some customers | null

Civil Code: CONFIDENTIALITY OF DRIVER'S LICENSE INFORMATION

1798.90.1. (a) (1) Any business may swipe a driver's license or identification card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles in any electronic device for the following purposes:
(A) To verify age or the authenticity of the driver's license or identification card.
(B) To comply with a legal requirement to record, retain, or transmit that information.
(C) To transmit information to a check service company for the purpose of approving negotiable in....etc.

Multiple retailers start requiring a driver's license swipe | abc7news.com

While the MVC cannot be an enforcer, it can and does educate these groups on the Federal Driver Protection Privacy Act of 1994, stating that swiping can be a legitimate business need to verify age and validate a driver's license, but non-essential uses of that information is not legitimate use. Say goodbye to sensitive data after swiping driver's license

and so on and so forth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products