U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:03 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times

Advertisements

Resign yourself to the fact that you will never find out how your card was compromised. My bank card was compromised twice in six months. After the second time I set up an e-bank account, no checks, used only for online purchases and always empty unless I transfered money to it to make an online purchase. My ATM card was used only for local, in person purchases.

In less than a year my ATM card, which was only used for local purchases, was compromised. Based on that the conclusion was a local business either had an infected POS system or a criminal employee, but there was no way to find out what business was responsible.

Oddly enough, after 3 years, the online use e-bank account has yet to be compromised, I figured it would be the first to fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 01:46 PM

13,780 posts, read 9,287,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
^^^She is correct, Amazon deals with 3rd party vendors and that could be where the problem lies.
That is incorrect info, as a 3rd party Amazon seller. I get payments through Amazon but I do not know or get to see what the credit card of the customer. It is all managed by Amazon checkout.

The OP most likely has got a malware installed that is logging keystrokes or intercepts payment info. I would clean the system the OP uses than blame on Amazon.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:50 PM

1,243 posts, read 699,853 times
Many years ago I had a charge on my statement which was for a magazine subscription to a remote country half-way across the world. I have only been in America and once to Niagara Falls!

Called the credit card company and the took the charge off and issued me new card. Fine. I asked how this could have happened and she said people put in series of numbers and see which ones pop as good. So it could be random, with no way to figure who might have done it. Now something like the magazine subscription, wouldn't you think they could track that and figure it out?

I think too often they have gasoline pump pictures or other evidence and fail to investigate who hacked the account. I guess it's too expensive for them to pursuit.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The OP most likely has got a malware installed that is logging keystrokes or intercepts payment info.

+1
A fairly large percentage of the population utilizes either no anti-virus protection, or uses one of the low-rated ones such as McAfee or Panda. One of the things on which I will not scrimp is anti-virus software, and I am very satisfied with ESET--which is the one that is top-rated by Consumer Reports and by some other entities.

More than likely, if the OP installs a good malware program the source of the data breach will be eliminated.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:34 PM

11,615 posts, read 20,774,393 times
OP hasn't come back.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:33 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,410,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
In less than a year my ATM card, which was only used for local purchases, was compromised. Based on that the conclusion was a local business either had an infected POS system or a criminal employee, but there was no way to find out what business was responsible.
Sorry that happened to you. It's happened to us frequently too. We switched to using credit card exclusively after having our savings account wiped out when the debit card was compromised. (We pay the credit card balance in full about twice a month)

We stopped giving our credit card to waiters in restaurants. It's just not rational to give your card to a $2/hour employee for an unlimited amount of time. We carry cash instead and that's helped... for now. We stopped allowing any businesses to keep our card on file for membership fees/dues. That's helped... for now.

Mostly, we resigned ourselves to never knowing. But sometimes it's fun to imagine how wonderful our world would be if these people would use their knowledge and determination for something productive to society, rather than straight theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or