U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 PM

16,693 posts, read 14,180,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
These problems are not unique to Wal-Mart. It's the same at any store with individual lines at each register, which is...well, most stores.
Common at stores that oriented towards people who are price conscious shoppers. Those types are not going to be going anywhere else, the person shopping for groceries at Walmart most likely is not going to skip going there and go to Publix or Whole Foods because of the long lines, however, the Publix shopper most likely will factor the 30 minute line wait among other factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 03:50 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,666,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many Walmarts are notorious for not having enough cashiers. Reason is that they do not; store managers have an incentive to staff the store with as few people as possible.
I have found that to be true at WM; however, it is also true at the local chain grocery stores in my area, and also at Target.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:49 AM

20,521 posts, read 26,712,540 times
Seriously people…we all have to wait at any store at one time or another.

Places I had to wait or had terrible service this weekend:

Lowes….and there was no help in the plumbing or flooring department. I went to 2 Lowe's to find what I needed.

Home Depot…same thing…no help and 1 checkout open in the contractor's department with a long line.

And let's not talk about being on hold with companies. I was on hold and talked with people from Blue Cross Blue Shield for more than an hour last week "TO PAY MY BILL"….and yes they were American so don't start with that nonsense.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:25 AM

11,590 posts, read 8,280,537 times
I try to shop at ones that have the self checkout lanes.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:56 AM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I try to shop at ones that have the self checkout lanes.

+1
While I try to make my Wal-Marts visits as rare as possible, when I do feel the need to shop there, I try to go to one that has self checkout lanes.

In terms of that technology, WM actually seems to be better than many other stores, as they tend to group ~7 or 8 self checkouts in a self-contained area staffed by one or two "helpers". When I am able to utilize self checkouts at WM, I can usually get out of there in just a fraction of the time that is necessary when using one of their conventional checkouts.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 2 days ago)

15,527 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I have found that to be true at WM; however, it is also true at the local chain grocery stores in my area, and also at Target.
Walmart has gotten somewhat better about having more cashiers in my area. I hate using the self checkouts but I will if they have no line and the regular checkout have a line. But I never use the self checkout if there is a line for those. Since the purpose of a self checkout is ostensibly to make the checkout process faster and more convenient, waiting in line to use them defeats the very reason they exist, IMO. When all the lines are busy I go to the Garden Center to do my business or if I'm in a really bad mood, just leave my stuff and buy it elsewhere, since I never buy many items there.

Our local HEB is fabulous about having enough cashiers. I have only had to wait in line more than five minutes once or twice, and usually I don't have to wait in line at all. What a breath of fresh air that is; having enough staff that people are always nice and willing to help. They also have employees outdoors rounding up carts all day long, so lack of carts is never an issue. And there are employees throughout the store who you can ask about where an item is. On many occasions when I'm wandering around searching for something, an employee took the initiative and asked me if they can help me find something, rather than the reverse. Walmart could learn a lot from them.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:14 AM

888 posts, read 846,570 times
Don't really go to Walmart but the Target lines have doubled now that they started selling groceries

Old 01-19-2016, 08:33 AM

1,196 posts, read 843,962 times
I've never heard that - giving the coupons upfront to the cashier or having it with the item. If that is a thing I am amazed Ive never learned that or someone has clued me in.

They just swipe at the end and the $ comes off. Why do it during? I don't get it.

Self checkout won't allow a swipe of coupons until the subtotal. Some checkers wont take the loyalty card until the end even though I beg them to (I like verifying the sale price is coming up). I'm just confused but will do "better" if I understand it.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:29 AM

11,170 posts, read 14,808,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
I've never heard that - giving the coupons upfront to the cashier or having it with the item. If that is a thing I am amazed Ive never learned that or someone has clued me in.

They just swipe at the end and the $ comes off. Why do it during? I don't get it.

Self checkout won't allow a swipe of coupons until the subtotal. Some checkers wont take the loyalty card until the end even though I beg them to (I like verifying the sale price is coming up). I'm just confused but will do "better" if I understand it.
Because some coupons require a purchase amount to be filled in, or they are only valid if certain requirements are met, like buy two of this and get that free, or some such. Easier for the cashier to know beforehand so s/he can check as she scans, rather than having to go back through the receipt, or through your bags to see how much you paid for that whatever or if you bought the right qualifying items to get your free item

Old 01-19-2016, 12:09 PM

15,838 posts, read 9,077,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't go to Walmart often but whenever I do go, the checkout lines are ridiculously long and slow and what I've noticed is.

They have 2 rows of checkout lines and it's always the 1st few cashiers that have long lines.

I always navigate or have my kids find empty cashiers usually in the back row. Then I look back at some of the shoppers standing on the lines and they give me a blank stare. Even if I wave my hand at some people to come over some would and most wouldn't step up to go to the back row cashiers.

Are most Walmarts like this?
Sure - they don't care about keeping people waiting - it's all about having the fewest employees possible for the most profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or