U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:29 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,137,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I have found that to be true at WM; however, it is also true at the local chain grocery stores in my area, and also at Target.
Our supermarkets very often have few cashiers which is fine with me as long as aselfservice line is open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 01:34 PM

10,702 posts, read 9,666,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I try to shop at ones that have the self checkout lanes.
I've used the self-check outs and find it fun.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:10 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,812,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
At "my stores", the cashiers always asks for coupons up front. They definitely do NOT want coupons sitting on each item the coupon is for! They just want the neat little fistful sitting on their side of the checkstand before they start ringing.

As for checks....many stores no longer accept them. The few that do, run them through their electronic reader, printing out all the info (amount, date, etc.), and then you sign on the card reader, NOT the check. The check is returned with a receipt.
I can't tell you how many times a cashier fails to deduct my coupons. I ASK THEM how they want the coupons at the beginning of the checkout. Most of them take them right then but fail to deduct them before they hit TOTAL. I even remind them, "Please remember to deduct my coupons" and still they often forget. I have yet to encounter a cashier who is allowed to remedy this situation without a manager being called, holding up the entire line for sometimes five minutes. At Walmart, they make you go to the customer service department and stand in another long line to get the refund. This happens so often at some stores I wonder if it's a ploy to make shoppers not use coupons.

Your idea about the checks is a good one, but the use of checks is waning so quickly I doubt stores would initiate anything that would require them to adjust their habits. I live in an area with MANY retirees and I see few of them using checks these days.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:05 PM

135 posts, read 122,653 times
i always opt to use self checkout machines at walmart. here are my complaints:

1) the self checkout machines are buggy/sensitive to the point where the screen will say "unexpected item in bagging area" on nearly every encounter or the opposite where it says its not in the bagging area after you've scanned it even though its right there on the damn scale. i guess some useful advice is to make sure you load items one by one on the scale slowly to avoid this. in the event that you do notice a screen error message, walmart can't expect you to ignore it and proceed. most people will wait for the floor to clear up the error message or just give up right there and go back to regular checkout. this greatly affects adoption rates of this technology (which isn't even brand spanking new).

2) you can't checkout alcohol on them. this is a bottleneck on the quicker expected flow of self checkout. if i buy a 6 pack of beer, avocados, and some fruity underwear i'm forced to go stand in the regular lines. this should be resolved by allowing alcohol to be checked out by having the screen prompt the customer for validation request by a floor person (who should be standing by and monitoring for theft and provide assistance in general, if they're doing their job) once the alcohol is scanned. The floor can then come by your machine and check out your ID and then enter the bypass code (which should be short and simple) to let you proceed with your purchase.

3) IIRC after you are done scanning and ready to select payment methods you are expected to tap "finish and pay" on the big
screen AND THEN use the smaller payment screen to select what type of card you're using. often times i forget to tap finish and pay first but slide my card and select card type and then wait for nothing to happen. this is confusing and can be resolved by blocking the customer from seeing the select card type screen until you tap the finish and pay button, or even more concise would be to a) show a prompt on the smaller payment screen that says "please tap finish and pay before proceeding" b) have the finish and pay button on the smaller screen, too or c) omit the finish and pay button altogether.

---

Alrighty Walton family, i'll be expecting my check in the mail next week for grand inspector contractual work.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 PM

8,219 posts, read 7,255,851 times
Probably if there are long line then there will be people who will unload their things to be purchases and walking out of the store , which show that the news that Walmart will close about 150 stores in the US, means that they have not got their things together or they are closing the stores which demanded higher wages

Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 1 day ago)

15,525 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I've used the self-check outs and find it fun.
I'm not into doing someone else's job for them and not getting paid for it, so I don't use them unless absolutely necessary.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:40 PM

154 posts, read 98,693 times
I try to shop at Wally when it isn't crazy-busy, so they don't have many registers staffed.

If I do have to go later in the day (very rare), they usually have quite a few lanes open.

I really don't notice much different staffing issues when I go to Target. 26 checkout lanes and only 5 open.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:45 PM

20,928 posts, read 11,731,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't go to Walmart often but whenever I do go, the checkout lines are ridiculously long and slow and what I've noticed is.

They have 2 rows of checkout lines and it's always the 1st few cashiers that have long lines.

I always navigate or have my kids find empty cashiers usually in the back row. Then I look back at some of the shoppers standing on the lines and they give me a blank stare. Even if I wave my hand at some people to come over some would and most wouldn't step up to go to the back row cashiers.

Are most Walmarts like this?
I've never had a problem with lines at Walmarts, except during evening rush hours--and then it's just a matter of a whole lot of people shopping...they usually have many lines open.

I've always run into that problem at Target, however.

The place with the best policy I've seen has been Menard's (a regional big box hardware store). Their explicit policy is to open a new line whenever any line has more than three people waiting, and they keep a a floor manager constantly watching the lines to make that happen.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:58 PM

924 posts, read 572,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not into doing someone else's job for them and not getting paid for it, so I don't use them unless absolutely necessary.
I feel the same way. If I check myself out I feel I should get some type of price reduction for saving the company money on not hiring a check out to serve me.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:04 PM

1,907 posts, read 553,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
These problems are not unique to Wal-Mart. It's the same at any store with individual lines at each register, which is...well, most stores.

At the TJX stores (TJMaxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods) they have one line, and as cashiers finish with a customer they ask the next person in line to come to their register. This eliminates the "Oh, my line is so slowwwwww compared to that other one" feeling from customers. I've seen this strategy becoming more common, but I think certain stores could never adopt it because places like WM, Home Depot, Kroger, etc. have such steep variations in the sizes of purchases. It works best in places where customers are making small purchases (or restaurants where they place an order at a counter).

I understand that most people don't like waiting in line. Fewer people understand their own choices can help all of us shorten those lines and make the situation less annoying. People who take 76 items into the express lane. People who watch everything get rung up, and only then realize they left their wallet in the car. People who have fistfuls of coupons but don't place them with the individual items or double-check the expiration dates, then argue when the expiration date is past. People who write checks, but won't start writing said check until after every item has been rung up, and have not retrieved their ID despite knowing they will need it. People who decide to learn how to use the card reader for the first time in their lives and refuse to let the cashier assist/run the card for them. People who have three small items but insist on using the super-sized cart, which they abandon in the register area rather than returning to the cart corral. People who want to pay that $40 charge with a $5 bill, $12.50 left on an old gift card, a check for $20.50, and a roll of nickels. People who scan four different cards that get rejected, and eventually pay for their purchases with a suspiciously moist, wadded-up bill fished out of a bra. And of course, people who go into core meltdown when that $1.49 turnip rings up $1.50 and demand a price check and words with the manager. Among others, of course.
Yes wow you hit the nail on the head. So much going on at these registers most don't have a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or