U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:23 PM

5,360 posts, read 3,425,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't go to Walmart often but whenever I do go, the checkout lines are ridiculously long and slow and what I've noticed is.

They have 2 rows of checkout lines and it's always the 1st few cashiers that have long lines.

I always navigate or have my kids find empty cashiers usually in the back row. Then I look back at some of the shoppers standing on the lines and they give me a blank stare. Even if I wave my hand at some people to come over some would and most wouldn't step up to go to the back row cashiers.

Are most Walmarts like this?
Walmart bases the cashiers on their "Computer" data...Not many people "Normally" shop at 11 pm at night. Main rush is 5-7 pm....That's why you rarely have more than one cashier there late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 01:26 PM

10,702 posts, read 9,666,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not into doing someone else's job for them and not getting paid for it, so I don't use them unless absolutely necessary.
I hear ya, but never really looked at it that way, it just saved me standing in line and there's always an employee right there if assistance is required.

When I eat at a restaurant and they have a salad bar I don't think of it as doing the server's job. . but perhaps you didn't mean it in that context.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:54 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I
The place with the best policy I've seen has been Menard's (a regional big box hardware store). Their explicit policy is to open a new line whenever any line has more than three people waiting, and they keep a a floor manager constantly watching the lines to make that happen.
Target has the same policy. The ones I go to are usually good about opening new registers.There is always a manager up front keeping in an eye on things and directing customers to different lines.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:19 PM

20,927 posts, read 11,731,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Target has the same policy. The ones I go to are usually good about opening new registers.There is always a manager up front keeping in an eye on things and directing customers to different lines.
Umm, not at the Target stores near me. They are the worst examples of allowing long lines to linger of any place I shop.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:05 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,305,701 times
I've never seen anyone trying to reduce the lines or showing anyone an open one! I now go thru the self check out and love it. I don't have to deal with a disgruntled cashier and I can bag my things the way I like them. I actually think it's fun. Although not all Wal-Mart stores have the self check out.

I might add I worked at Wal-Mart in the early 80's before they were in the large cities and I always remember the mgr
telling us that: here we have opened up this huge store of 80,000 sq feet and the shoppers get up to the front with their
purchases and there's no one to check them out...now how dumb is that? He was right and he made a constant effort to monitor the checkout area and get cashiers up their fast to help! I mean when it's noon or rush hour in the evening and you see one or 2 lanes open you wonder "what are they thinking?" an who's in charge here! The Target I frequent is always the same, only 2 open and long lines. Every time I go! Oh well!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:15 PM

7,252 posts, read 11,392,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Seriously people…we all have to wait at any store at one time or another.

Places I had to wait or had terrible service this weekend:

Lowes….and there was no help in the plumbing or flooring department. I went to 2 Lowe's to find what I needed.

Home Depot…same thing…no help and 1 checkout open in the contractor's department with a long line.
That might be since you and Mike probably know more about their stuff than the help does!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:18 PM

7,252 posts, read 11,392,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I try to shop at ones that have the self checkout lanes.
Not me. If I wanted to be the cashier, I'd get a job there!

I like it when the self checkout person pulls you from another line to use the empty self checkout lanes. I go over there with them, but I'll stand back while THEY scan my goods. Then I'll swipe my card to finish the transaction.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:21 PM

366 posts, read 311,419 times
In my town you never.ever.ever...go grocery shopping between the 1st and 5th of the month, unless you want to stand in line for literally 25-45 minutes...no exaggeration at all.

For some reason, the grocery store I shop at, staffs the store with 2 cashiers during this time and you will be behind at least 5 people with a month's worth of groceries in their cart.

Usually, if I need to pick up a couple of items like milk, I'll go to CVS which is pretty much deserted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or