U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:43 PM

13,780 posts, read 9,287,919 times

Advertisements

I don't go to Walmart often but whenever I do go, the checkout lines are ridiculously long and slow and what I've noticed is.

They have 2 rows of checkout lines and it's always the 1st few cashiers that have long lines.

I always navigate or have my kids find empty cashiers usually in the back row. Then I look back at some of the shoppers standing on the lines and they give me a blank stare. Even if I wave my hand at some people to come over some would and most wouldn't step up to go to the back row cashiers.

Are most Walmarts like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 02:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,858 posts, read 56,252,221 times
Yes, at least at all the ones we have been too. It's most likely because of the employee turnover, they never stay there long enough to get really good/fast at the work. Also, due to the skill level, it takes forever to figure out what to do if anything unexpected or unusual happens. We have at times run into an efficient checker, but it's rare. Most of the time we get very little and use the self checks.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:41 PM

19,129 posts, read 19,978,923 times
Not in my area.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:35 AM

20,521 posts, read 26,712,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Not in my area.
Not in mine either. They actually have a person directing people to shorter lines.

I have had long lines and waits at Lowe's and Publix lately. And the line was horrendous at the Dollar Tree. Must be the turnover

Old 01-18-2016, 07:54 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,930,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't go to Walmart often but whenever I do go, the checkout lines are ridiculously long and slow and what I've noticed is.

They have 2 rows of checkout lines and it's always the 1st few cashiers that have long lines.

I always navigate or have my kids find empty cashiers usually in the back row. Then I look back at some of the shoppers standing on the lines and they give me a blank stare. Even if I wave my hand at some people to come over some would and most wouldn't step up to go to the back row cashiers.

Are most Walmarts like this?

I notice this all the time but probably because I'm a cashier at Walmart. lol What I've noticed is that people will stop at the FIRST open register they see even if there's a line there, or maybe because there's a line there and they know it's open. Our registers are opened from the center out, except for the express and self check lanes, and sometimes we'll have three open on a far end but nobody will go that far to check it out. I hear "But I'm parked on the other end!" so they want to go to a register closer to 'their' exit. We usually have plenty of cashiers but you'll still see a long line at some of them just because people are too lazy to go ten feet further to find a shorter/empty one.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:15 PM

10,702 posts, read 9,666,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Not in my area.
Same here! However; the days/hours I shop at WM are when the majority are work. If I went on a weekend it could be a completely different situation.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:33 PM

16,691 posts, read 14,180,792 times
Many Walmarts are notorious for not having enough cashiers. Reason is that they do not; store managers have an incentive to staff the store with as few people as possible.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 3,202,100 times
These problems are not unique to Wal-Mart. It's the same at any store with individual lines at each register, which is...well, most stores.

At the TJX stores (TJMaxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods) they have one line, and as cashiers finish with a customer they ask the next person in line to come to their register. This eliminates the "Oh, my line is so slowwwwww compared to that other one" feeling from customers. I've seen this strategy becoming more common, but I think certain stores could never adopt it because places like WM, Home Depot, Kroger, etc. have such steep variations in the sizes of purchases. It works best in places where customers are making small purchases (or restaurants where they place an order at a counter).

I understand that most people don't like waiting in line. Fewer people understand their own choices can help all of us shorten those lines and make the situation less annoying. People who take 76 items into the express lane. People who watch everything get rung up, and only then realize they left their wallet in the car. People who have fistfuls of coupons but don't place them with the individual items or double-check the expiration dates, then argue when the expiration date is past. People who write checks, but won't start writing said check until after every item has been rung up, and have not retrieved their ID despite knowing they will need it. People who decide to learn how to use the card reader for the first time in their lives and refuse to let the cashier assist/run the card for them. People who have three small items but insist on using the super-sized cart, which they abandon in the register area rather than returning to the cart corral. People who want to pay that $40 charge with a $5 bill, $12.50 left on an old gift card, a check for $20.50, and a roll of nickels. People who scan four different cards that get rejected, and eventually pay for their purchases with a suspiciously moist, wadded-up bill fished out of a bra. And of course, people who go into core meltdown when that $1.49 turnip rings up $1.50 and demand a price check and words with the manager. Among others, of course.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:22 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Many of your rules would not fly here!
For example...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
People who take 76 items into the express lane.
Would be directed elsewhere.

Quote:
People who have fistfuls of coupons but don't place them with the individual items.
The cashier needs those upfront, together, with your store card.

Quote:
People who write checks, but won't start writing said check until after every item has been rung up, and have not retrieved their ID despite knowing they will need it.
The cashiers take the blank check and print it out once everything is totalled.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:56 PM

4,929 posts, read 4,215,349 times
Quote:
... People who have fistfuls of coupons but don't place them with the individual items ....
At "my stores", the cashiers always asks for coupons up front. They definitely do NOT want coupons sitting on each item the coupon is for! They just want the neat little fistful sitting on their side of the checkstand before they start ringing.

As for checks....many stores no longer accept them. The few that do, run them through their electronic reader, printing out all the info (amount, date, etc.), and then you sign on the card reader, NOT the check. The check is returned with a receipt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or