U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:51 AM

18,946 posts, read 5,055,326 times

Advertisements

We used to use Scott but are decadent in our old age and use Charmin now.
Scott was cheap but we had to use so much.....and Charmin is softer.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:54 AM

3,981 posts, read 2,361,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

Even worse, something I've noticed particularly at Walmart is that the unit pricing on the shelf label may be *completely* wrong- the math is incorrect, or the label displays the unit price based on a larger size, when the item on the shelf is actually a smaller size than what is on the label.
I've noticed that at Target too. I take pix and bring them to the customer service counter and they look at me like I have 2 heads. But when it's the easiest way to compare, I want it to be right. I really think they do it on purpose so you just end up grabbing something that "looks" good but may not be.

I've also seen, especially with their house brand, them using multiple units of measure. ie on one they'll give the per unit price per sheet, on another they'll give it per 100 sheets. Really annoying when you're scanning per pricing and then have to get down on the floor to actually read it because it makes no sense.

Interesting about the width, fluff and cardboard comments above. It wouldn't surprise me.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:14 PM

2,035 posts, read 2,070,364 times
heck, I've noticed it. I used to be able to cover a house AND two trees with it. Now, I can barely cover a house.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:55 PM

11,271 posts, read 21,195,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I've always been one of those people who only buy the four-packs. It is therefore a bit of a shock to pay $3 or more just for rolls of TP. Maybe it's one of those things they feel they can charge what they like since....well, we're kind of a captive audience. They quit publishing the Sears catalog.

I still flat-out refuse to buy TP in those 125-roll "superpacks" like you see taking up most of the tissue aisle. I have a small bathroom! Some of those packages are the size of a cocktail table.
I buy the big packs but I store it out in the garage. The kind I get is wrapped into smaller packs, I just bring one of those packs inside and the big package stays out in the garage. It has taught my kids to look before they sit, a pretty important life skill Nobody wants to ask Mom or Dad to bring them some potty paper from the garage.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:26 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Here's a bargain to hunt for:

Brighton Professional Bath Tissue Rolls, 2ply, 12 Rolls on Clearance at Staples stores only for $1. YMMV.
sku 541035

Link for information only. Disregard price.
http://www.staples.com/Brighton-Prof...product_541035

staples Inventory Checker

Old 01-27-2016, 04:13 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,354,807 times
I think the core is the same size it's always been, also the width.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:35 PM

1,125 posts, read 695,005 times
Green Earth brand is the best I ever found and believe it or not it.s at Wal-Mart. Second best is Quilted Northern or Trader Joe.s house brand.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:02 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I buy the big packs but I store it out in the garage. The kind I get is wrapped into smaller packs, I just bring one of those packs inside and the big package stays out in the garage. It has taught my kids to look before they sit, a pretty important life skill Nobody wants to ask Mom or Dad to bring them some potty paper from the garage.
Target has slowly stopped selling the smaller packages of the brand we use. We used to get the 4 pack, then we had to buy a 12 pack and now the smallest package is 24 rolls. The 24 pack is actually just 6 4-packs packaged together. SO just leaves the extras in his car trunk (no garage) and brings in a 4 pack as needed.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:23 PM

11,565 posts, read 8,805,997 times
I think we get into a habit of grabbing a whole handful to wipe when, if you get a good brand, not so much is needed. I use a charmin type but the small rolls go pretty fast. I think 3 or 4 squares is plenty! For the normal jobs (no pun intended..okay, yeah it was).

Old 01-27-2016, 06:48 PM

39,918 posts, read 57,741,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've also seen, especially with their house brand, them using multiple units of measure. ie on one they'll give the per unit price per sheet, on another they'll give it per 100 sheets. Really annoying when you're scanning per pricing and then have to get down on the floor to actually read it because it makes no sense.

Interesting about the width, fluff and cardboard comments above. It wouldn't surprise me.
That's why you should not compare # of sheets, or unit price per sheet, but the sqft. E.g. take few 4 packs of different brand, line them up, and compare the total sqft. Then compare the price per roll.
They don't want you to compare similar products an easy way. When one is listed per sheet, another will be listed per roll , or "unit" - whatever that is.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or