Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 08:46 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

A young man from Cologne has suffered severe wounds including the loss of several teeth after the e-cigarette he was smoking exploded in his mouth.

On Saturday afternoon at around 3pm, the 20-year-old was smoking one of the electronic smokes in an e-cigarette shop in the town centre when the accident happened.

Cologne man's teeth blown out while smoking e-cigarette - The Local
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:22 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
These articles are sensationalized against ecigs. They never state what kind of device, what was done with the device to make it explode. Just that, 'So and so has been injured by an exploding ecig!" I have been using ecigs for 2 years now and never had anything remotely explode, however I do know that if you make your own coils and you don't pay attention to what you are doing it is possible to have the battery explode from either a short in your coil, or if you have your ohms set too low for the battery you are using. But that is user error as there are all sorts of tools available to prevent it, and every battery has it's specifications listed. It would be like me going, "So and so had his thumb chopped off by a circular saw," but me not telling you that it was because he did not follow safety precautions to prevent it.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:54 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
These articles are sensationalized against ecigs. They never state what kind of device, what was done with the device to make it explode. Just that, 'So and so has been injured by an exploding ecig!" I have been using ecigs for 2 years now and never had anything remotely explode
Just because you haven't personally experienced something, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:17 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Exploding batteries in e-cigarettes lead to lawsuits - Story

Quote:
"People misplace their charger where it plugs into the wall, so they grab one from their cell phone or they grab a new from the laptop and put the cord into it," he said. "And it just generates more heat, and yeah, there are problems that can happen from that."
Litium ion batteries used in e-cigarettes have had similar problems in computers and cell phones; there was some discussion this year of banning them in air shipments .
Samsung cell phone battery explodes in man's pocket - CNET

Quote:
Lithium-ion batteries are known for having issues with heat. As they have become more widely used, several similar incidents have occurred over the years. A cell phone battery spontaneously caught fire in a man's back pants pocket at Defcon last year; and, in 2009, a man was killed by his exploding phone severing his neck artery.

Nokia, Dell, Apple, Lenovo, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, Hitachi, and Fujitsu have all recalled products in the past due to overheating batteries. And, most recently, Boeing's 787 Dreamliner was ordered grounded until 2014 due to on-board fires involving lithium-ion batteries.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:57 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Just because you haven't personally experienced something, doesn't mean it can't happen.
And perhaps if you read my entire post you'd have seen that I do know that it can happen. But instead you didn't even quote my whole post. Most times however it will be due to user error. Not paying attention to a custom made coil vs the kind of battery you are using. If you make a bad coil it will cause the battery to vent or explode depending on how badly you've made it.

Now let's say it is the battery itself's fault. Would it not be nice for ecig users to know which device it was that failed? If there is an issue with a certain device, I would certainly like to know so I can avoid that device. Again, using the saw reference, if I just say, "Joe Shmoe had his thumb cut off by a saw," but leave it pretty much at that like most of these articles do, is it user error by not taking the needed safety precautions? Or is it actually a safety issue with brand x model y that's the issue. You don't know because I decided to make the saw look evil instead of informing people what actually went on.

Now Annie has brought up the lithium ion issue, and has pointed out that it's not just isolated to ecigs, but also cellphones and laptops.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:58 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
oh no

Old 01-31-2016, 07:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A young man from Cologne has suffered severe wounds including the loss of several teeth after the e-cigarette he was smoking exploded in his mouth.

On Saturday afternoon at around 3pm, the 20-year-old was smoking one of the electronic smokes in an e-cigarette shop in the town centre when the accident happened.

Cologne man's teeth blown out while smoking e-cigarette - The Local
The item shown in the photo is not an e-cigarette, it is a vaping device, they are different products.

blu PLUS Rechargeable Kit Classic Tobacco | E-cig Rechargeable Kit | FREE SHIPPING <------- is an ecig

New Electronic Vaporizer 650 1100mAh Rechargable Vapor E Hookah Pen Starter Kit | eBay <---electronic vaporizer

Old 01-31-2016, 07:06 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Would like to see all the facts and not just a story for someone that has a "Thing" for smokers, too common of a thread.

Also, what was the guy "Smoking"? Propane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products