U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:21 AM

34,455 posts, read 43,301,321 times

Advertisements

The nearest Whole Foods to me is in Annapolis.

The customers there tend to fall into two categories:

Middle aged and older women who have seen the Botox needle too often.

Younger women who have too much silicon implanted.

A third, much smaller category, is middle aged men who are quite jaunty in their white slacks, blue blazers and yachting caps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:40 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,305,701 times
Whole Food (aka: Whole Paycheck) has a very distinct atmosphere. I go in there once in a blue moon, hardly ever
found anything worth the cost.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:43 AM

5,360 posts, read 3,425,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laresistance View Post
They always give you weird looks. And they look super self-conscious, awkward and unsure of themselves. They don't know where they're going.
A poster mentioned about feeling like dirt when shopping dollar stores and walmart....

If I'm feeling good and have some extra cash, I hit them to find some different stuff....Plus stare at the odd stuff and gasp at the prices...

Old 02-08-2016, 10:53 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,255,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Chill out
No problem, but please leave extraneous comments that have no relevance here out of the conversation. There are forums for your perspectives.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:03 AM

9,155 posts, read 8,851,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
And by not ever going in one you've shown yourself a silly, shallow person. In pretty much everywhere I've lived there has been something at whole foods which is better or cheaper than I can get it anywhere else.
I can get St. Andre cheaper at WF than anywhere else in town. And the bread to spread it on is better, if (only a little) more expensive. It's $10.99/lb. (up from $9.99, where it was for years), v. 13.99/lb., 19.99/lb., and 21.99/lb. elsewhere.

You can also get olive oil cheaper, but I like what I get elsewhere more. And lots of 365 products are cheaper than or equivalent to what I can get elsewhere. There was even a moment in the past 12 months when their eggs were as cheap as Aldi's.

I also like their meats better, particularly ground turkey or chicken thighs. They taste better.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:20 AM

17,086 posts, read 10,188,090 times
Hmmm. I've never seen a Botox needle and there's no silicon anywhere in my body. I have no piercings or tattoos. I'm just a typical suburban mom, and I shop at WF all the time, because the seafood is great and the service friendly. My nearest Safeway is dirty and the staff surly, so I choose to take my business elsewhere. That's how it works in my world.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:35 AM

5,017 posts, read 7,510,537 times
Haven't noticed at all.
A whole foods shopper is the same person u see anywhere else when out and about. No idea why Whole Foods shoppers are weird?

Are Trader Joe's shoppers weird too? What about shoppers at Aldi?

Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 PM

12,304 posts, read 11,057,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laresistance View Post
They always give you weird looks. And they look super self-conscious, awkward and unsure of themselves. They don't know where they're going.
No idea what you're talking about. I don't live near a Whole Foods, but shop them regularly when I travel and there's one locally. I've never noticed anyone giving me weird looks. Never noticed anyone looking super self-conscious, awkward, or unsure of themselves. Most people seem to have a mission when they're there. They know what they want and get. Most don't spend 3 hours hanging around like it's Wal-Mart. Seems like these "observations" are more about you. How could everyone all have these issues? Makes no sense. It's a grocery store! People definitely know what they want.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM

12,973 posts, read 13,075,229 times
Actually the shoppers around here at Trader Joe's and WH are pretty much the same. The boss finds different things at each. Does four stops more than once a month. TJs, WH, Walmart supercenter and Sam's club. Each provide different items.

WH is certain produce, specialty meat and sea food. She knows the butchers by name and they know her. She calls in advance when she wants something particular and they cut it for her.

The crowd looks normal upper middle suburban to me. Soccer moms with MBs. or Escalades.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM

3,876 posts, read 3,604,519 times
Mostly shop at the excellent Market Basket near us, very affordable and well stocked. Employees are plentiful and polite. They've always been good about taking returns, too.

Whole Foods is a great store; I've always loved going there, but it's definitely more expensive. The produce and pretty much everything else is high quality there; I don't have to worry about shoddy merchandise.

WF has excellent customer service as well, and they have always taken returns no questions asked, even without receipts. Lots of free samples at certain times of day. As someone upthread mentioned, if you use their coupons (either the booklet or, more conveniently, their online coupons), you can get some decent bargains sometimes.

WF also stocks some stuff that you can't easily get elsewhere, like certain spices and cooking ingredients that you'll only find in specialty stores or what they used to call "health food stores". They have really good organic/natural meats and fish selection, and it's the only place I've found where you can make your own freshly ground organic peanut butter.

Oh... the shoppers, that's what this thread is about? I've not noticed anything special about them. Depends on the neighborhood, but they do get a lot of thin, upper income yoga types, along with Chinese people, whites, blacks, families, students, etc. Probably a more upscale crowd than the local supermarket but so what? The doors are open to all. I sure don't decide where to go shopping based on what population subgroups I'll encounter. I go, I buy, I conquer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or