Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

I shop at Whole Foods for some of my groceries. It's been a great experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Yes. I go in there once in a blue moon, not to buy anything mind you but it's usually just a time killer waiting to do something else. The people in there always have a very elitist energy about them, and it's very uncomfortable if you're not 'one of them'. I dunno, I'll stick with the crowd at Aldi. LOL
Interestingly enough, Trader Joe's, one of Whole Foods major competitors, is owned by Aldi's.

Yeah, I too am an Aldi's person. If one actually looks at their private brand labels, they have better ingredients than Whole Food has in much of their stuff.

Who can forget that little scandal last year, where Whole Foods weight on packaged food was wrong. Not only wrong, but massively wrong, and, of course, always in the company's favor.

Oh, and the most recent issues: Selling asparagus soaked in water for $6, admitting to overcharging customers for the store’s already expensive products and selling pricey products made by low-wage inmates at a Colorado rehabilitation program.

I don't get the whole Whole Food allure. But then, I don't get Dolce Gabbana either.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Frickin Yuppies
OMG, you sound just like my husband. Peter, is that you??

Old 02-07-2016, 02:08 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
OMG, you sound just like my husband. Peter, is that you??
Old people all start sounding the same after awhile.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:09 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
I believe there's a bit of upper-middle class-sheeplery involved with a lot of Whole Foods shopping. These are the sort of people who lie to themselves saying that quinoa doesn't taste like sawdust and actually buy yoga pants.

Don't get me wrong, the stores are very nice and they usually do sell good quality products but they clearly scored hugely with the status obsessed petite bourgeois that inhabit the inner suburbs and gentrified urban areas of America. It's conspicuous consumption but at least it's non-GMO and gluten-free.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:56 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laresistance View Post
They always give you weird looks. And they look super self-conscious, awkward and unsure of themselves. They don't know where they're going.
Huh? Strange post. The few times Ive suffered Whole Foods its been rich, Volvo driving nu-Age conservative yuppie types who dont mind spending twice what the same item is across the street at Kroger. They are paying for the experience rather than the item. That is the only weird thing Ive seen. But, too each their own. I wouldn't go to a WAL*MART if my life depended on it.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:31 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Examples:
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...at-whole-foods

Old 02-07-2016, 06:33 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The female shoppers in the Whole Foods by me provide good scenery while shopping.
No wonder you're getting creeped out looks, sleaze.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:48 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Whole Foods is a vacation destination.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laresistance View Post
They always give you weird looks. And they look super self-conscious, awkward and unsure of themselves. They don't know where they're going.
No. Maybe I'm just not the kind of person who draws weird looks and makes strangers feel awkward, self-conscious, and unsure of themselves. But I know there are some awfully strange people out there who do inspire that reaction from strangers, so I suppose it's possible your observations are valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products