U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 04:20 PM

231 posts, read 195,523 times

Advertisements

Hi, I bought an item from an online store accredited by BBB (grade A). They sent me a defective item and took about 2 months to send me return shipping labels. The shipping labels were addressed to their manufacturer with the return address being that business (not my address). I paid for the item with PayPal but since the items were not returned back to the business, they denied my claim.

Thus, I am out of money and I do not have the item. I opened a case with BBB but the seller stopped responding after the items were returned. This business is located in CA and I am in NJ. I am willing to go to CA to file suit in small claims court but I rather not.

I have recently contacted consumer affairs department in CA online but I have not heard back from them probably because it has been only a few days.

I will be going to the police department here to report them. Is there anything else I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 09:42 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
I will be going to the police department here to report them. Is there anything else I can do?
I don't think the police will do anything, it's a civil matter.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:52 PM

39,918 posts, read 57,741,604 times
Maybe you should read this, and see if it helps:
https://www.paypalobjects.com/websta...protection.pdf
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/p...a-ebay-outside

Did you took a picture of the return label? It could help tracking the returned item.
Did you sent your returned item per registered mail?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 02-19-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 01:11 AM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
Here's some info on suing an internet company out of state. Maybe you'll find some info that you can use.

Cyber Squabbles: Where Do You Sue? | Nolo.com

Depending on the cost of traveling to CA, if you can't sue them in NJ, you might consider hiring a CA lawyer to sue them for you in CA.

Here's a CA attorney referral website:

Lawyer Referral Services (LRS)

Old 02-19-2016, 11:26 AM

231 posts, read 195,523 times
Thank you for your replies.

I have the copies of the return labels and I sent them to PayPal asking them to close the seller's PayPal account but PayPal's policy on the refund is very stringent and it has to be returned to the seller's address.

I am going to have to research about suing them. I might be able to sue them in NJ because the seller is an online seller and sells all over US so there might be jurisdiction in NJ. I never sued anyone before so I was hoping that there is a government agency that would help me because from my knowledge, consumer laws are designed heavily in favor of the consumer but I don't know exactly how I can use this to get my refund and have that company sanctioned due to their egregious misconduct.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:41 AM

39,918 posts, read 57,741,604 times
^^^ Are you talking about several hundreds/thousand dollars worth merchandise?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or