U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:43 PM

373 posts, read 679,829 times

Advertisements

What if for one year, you only purchased products made in the USA?

Are you willing to do it?
Could you do it.
Let's do it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 02:09 AM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times
I would if all the products I need or use were made in the USA. But in reality too many items are made overseas and not made here anymore.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,858 posts, read 56,252,221 times
It's close to impossible to tell which products are made in the USA. Even products assembled here are made from parts made in other countries. It would take a tremendous amount of research and careful, time consuming shopping, not likely to happen.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:45 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,359,322 times
Well, for a start, forget about coffee and tea, as neither of those are GROWN in the USA.

Look at your spice cupboard.......Pepper, cumin, curry powder, cloves, paprika.

I bet that the computer that you are using right now has parts that were NOT made in the US, right ?

Now, lets turn this argument around...... what would the effect be if other nations decided to not buy products made in the USA ? General Motors, Ford, Daimler Chrysler, General Electric, Carrier, American Standard, all would suffer, as there are alternatives to each of them.

Ever hear this one...........No country is an island, onto it's self.

Jim B.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 AM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Well, for a start, forget about coffee and tea, as neither of those are GROWN in the USA.
Both tea and coffee are grown in the US.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:22 PM

Right.
I realize we are in a global economy.

I also realize that in some cases research would needed.
This to sort out what products are American made and what are not.
Other products would be more obvious.
I realize that some products are assembled here in the USA, while the parts come from other places.
Any one product can have connections to several countries at one time.

However, not everything is that complex.
There are products that are 100% made in the USA from start to finish.
Americans sometime overlook some of the great products made right here in the USA.

We in America can be so frugal and thrifty at times that we forget about value.
We also forget the bigger picture as to what companies you are supporting with your dollars and how that matters to your community, your state, and your country.
Cheaper is not always better.
Matter of fact, it is often more costly in the long run in money, time spent, and aggravation dealing with poor quality.

I know there are lots of great products from other places.
I just think many people are overlooking great products made right here in the USA, they may not be aware of.

Last edited by cheesecracker; 02-22-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,359,322 times
Sundaydrive.

OK you are talking about coffee grown in Hawaii, right ? And how much does that represent per year ?

Tea, grown in the USA ? I guess that South Carolina is on your mind......Neither of those examples comes anywhere close to supplying the US market.

Jim B.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:39 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
OK you are talking about coffee grown in Hawaii, right ?
Yes, as Hawaii has been a part of the USA since 1959 when it became the 50th state.

Quote:
Tea, grown in the USA ? I guess that South Carolina is on your mind......
And Georgia, Alabama, California, Florida, Michigan, Maryland, Louisiana, Hawaii, Washington, Mississippi, New York, Texas... all which have tea farms that grow tea in the US.

Quote:
Neither of those examples comes anywhere close to supplying the US market.
I'm not really sure what you are talking about. The original post of yours that I quoted was you claiming that neither tea or coffee are "GROWN in the USA". Which is false. Both tea and coffee is grown in the US. No, it probably would not be enough if every American decided to switch to US grown coffeee/tea, but that isn't what was originally said.

That isn't even what this thread is about. Its could you as a single person only buy American made products. A single person making a choice to only buy American would have no problem finding American grown coffee or tea.

Now as a Canadian, I doubt you have much pride in America, as its not your country. So the you was not specific to you, Jim B.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:08 PM

9,573 posts, read 12,516,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
What if for one year, you only purchased products made in the USA?

Are you willing to do it?
Could you do it.
Let's do it!
I could do it but that's because I make enough to waste money on only american made product even when cheaper superior quality products are available form foreign manufacturers. Most people don't have the luxury of being able to spend extra just for the ability to say they only buy USA products.

Would I be willing to do it? No way! If american made products are every bit as good and their price was within reason of the foreign made products, I would consider buying it. But if it's over priced junk with just a Made in the USA label going for it, i'm not buying it just for that label.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I could do it but that's because I make enough to waste money on only american made product even when cheaper superior quality products are available form foreign manufacturers. Most people don't have the luxury of being able to spend extra just for the ability to say they only buy USA products.

Would I be willing to do it? No way! If american made products are every bit as good and their price was within reason of the foreign made products, I would consider buying it. But if it's over priced junk with just a Made in the USA label going for it, i'm not buying it just for that label.
I think the quality of American made products are being overlooked.
Certainly, in some cases, other countries just make certain products better.

In other cases, there is more to it, than that.
If a host country has no real labor laws to speak of, then how do you compare that?
if a company does not provide their workers a living wage. insurance benefits, or any benefits, how do you compare that?
If a host country blocks imports, or sets excessively high tariffs on imported American made products, yet America has the flood gates wide open for cheap products to enter our business borders, how do you compare that?

There is a much bigger picture involved.
Your dollars matter.
Who you elect matters.
Maybe if American consumers would take a step back and really look at what we have to offer in this country, and give it an honest chance, maybe all of a sudden the grass proves not to be greener on the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or