U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:21 PM

13,481 posts, read 25,860,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Paying tax on a purchase has to do with the state you live in. With an exception of a few states that do not charge sales & use tax, they all require their residents to pay taxes on purchases from Amazon and other retailers.
I can find the same item that's on Amazon, on eBay with free shipping and no tax. I have never ordered from Amazon, and doubt if I ever will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 12:50 PM

1,111 posts, read 598,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I can find the same item on eBay with free shipping and no tax. I have never ordered from Amazon, and doubt if I ever will.
But you still have to pay taxes on it if you live in a states with sales & use tax. So there's no real savings there.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:15 PM

4,929 posts, read 4,215,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Become a prime member and get free shipping.
I got same day shipping for less than 6 bucks!
That's one order. Multiply that times many orders per year, and the yearly shipping cost will be far greater than the Prime membership. And there's no Prime Music, Video, etc.

Between my sons and myself, I bet we place 20+ Prime orders a year. Heck, 6 of those orders are 70 pounds each! Shipped to my door for free. That's 420 pounds of free delivery on just 6 orders!

Old 02-27-2016, 09:01 PM

8,888 posts, read 5,448,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Become a prime member and get free shipping.
I got same day shipping for less than 6 bucks!
I sometimes get same day delivery FREE. I pick only items eligible for same day delivery and spend more than $35.

Prime? Heck, yeah.

The nitty-gritty:

Do you know why I'm able to get things so fast? Amazon has a patent on what it calls "anticipatory shipping." What it means is that based on previous orders, product searches, wish lists, shopping-cart contents, returns and even how long my cursor hovers over an item, they try to figure out what I'll order next. Then they move it to the warehouse closest to me.

It's not perfect -- I can't get a 12-pack of Sharpie Ultra Fine Point Permanent Markers in under two days, no matter how often I search for them -- but Amazon often seems to have just what I want, seemingly already heading out the warehouse door.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:53 AM

888 posts, read 623,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The OP asks if you are a Prime member. Stan clearly is a Prime member.

What's the problem?

I myself love Prime. I just ordered something again today - free 2 day shipping. It shows I will have it by Saturday. It's awesome! For the things I buy, I find Amazon very competitively priced.
I was going to let my Prime membership lapse, but then I discovered Prime Music. Easily worth the $99/year fee alone.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:04 PM

4,647 posts, read 4,902,201 times
Thanks OP for this news. I hadn't heard it and do order from Amazon a fair amount. Will reconsider where I can get the same stuff.

Not sure who is telling the truth with this problem I have with UPS and Amazon but maybe someone on here can tell me.

I ordered something that was going to be delivered on Monday. I wasn't home so UPS left the little piece of paper requesting my signature to leave at my door, it is an apt., but we all do it all the time. I signed it like I've done a hundred times before and when I got home... no package. I went on Amazon and it said my package was taken to a designated UPS store for me to go and pick up. HUH??? I thought, it your dreams I want it delivered to my home. Going to this UPS store is really inconvenient for me. What a run around I got from UPS and Amazon both saying the other now has a policy that it needs to be taken to one of these stores after the 1st attempt.

I never heard about this.. Anyone know about this?? And if this is how it will be for deliveries from Amazon, I'm really not going to bother with them.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Thanks OP for this news. I hadn't heard it and do order from Amazon a fair amount. Will reconsider where I can get the same stuff.

Not sure who is telling the truth with this problem I have with UPS and Amazon but maybe someone on here can tell me.

I ordered something that was going to be delivered on Monday. I wasn't home so UPS left the little piece of paper requesting my signature to leave at my door, it is an apt., but we all do it all the time. I signed it like I've done a hundred times before and when I got home... no package. I went on Amazon and it said my package was taken to a designated UPS store for me to go and pick up. HUH??? I thought, it your dreams I want it delivered to my home. Going to this UPS store is really inconvenient for me. What a run around I got from UPS and Amazon both saying the other now has a policy that it needs to be taken to one of these stores after the 1st attempt.

I never heard about this.. Anyone know about this?? And if this is how it will be for deliveries from Amazon, I'm really not going to bother with them.
Do the packages require a signature?

I had a problem with FedEx not wanting to leave my packages. I was told it's up to each individual driver whether they feel comfortable leaving a package. I lived on the third floor at the far end of t he breezway in a nice suburban area. There was no reason for the driver to think it was dangerous to leave the package. I complained to FedEx and to Amazon about the issue. All my Amazon packages now have in big bold letters on the shipping label to leave at door if no response. That and complaining to FedEx multiple times solved the issue.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:52 AM

4,647 posts, read 4,902,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do the packages require a signature?

I had a problem with FedEx not wanting to leave my packages. I was told it's up to each individual driver whether they feel comfortable leaving a package. I lived on the third floor at the far end of t he breezway in a nice suburban area. There was no reason for the driver to think it was dangerous to leave the package. I complained to FedEx and to Amazon about the issue. All my Amazon packages now have in big bold letters on the shipping label to leave at door if no response. That and complaining to FedEx multiple times solved the issue.

Can I ask who/how you talked with at amazon. for the life of me I have not been able to find a simple go to phone number or email.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:23 AM

6,857 posts, read 3,861,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

I am not a UPS Driver but a postal letter carrier and about 10 years ago the service changed our notice left slips, we used to take out express mail for a second attempt but with more parcels and people showing up to the station to pick something up when it was in a truck, with no time pressure on a second attempt meaning in some places it was still in that truck at 10 PM, we stopped doing that. It would take you calling to order a redelivery attempt for a piece to go back out. A UPS driver will rarely see a signed notice unless he went back to a home the next day or if I, the letter carrier who goes everywhere everyday, but not apartment doors, saw it and let him know

Just about everything Amazon ships through us has the "leave if no response" endorsement. Amazon doesn't want you to go to Wal*Mart as that is often easier then a distribution center or postal service line. If they requested a signature then the piece was of an abnormally high value or was politically controlled like alcohol or pharmaceuticals and encoded in the barcode is instructions to get a signature, an adult signature or even restrict it so only the addressee may sign for an item. Or others have reported an abnormally high theft rate in the area.

As it is now with the default of leaving packages burglary teams send a spotter out on bikes to ride streets and they call in the thief when they see a package to drive by and empty your box to sell.

It is weird my county uses FedEx to mail out birth certificates, and as an ID document they require a signature. But then the State Depart and many foreign nation consulates send out Passport books and cards which is a much better ID for fraud then a birth certificate and only require a delivery confirmation scan. I guess the nation can deactivate a passport though if a theft is reported where a birth certificate can't be.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:36 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,358,962 times
The Amazon regular shipping rate has also gone up. I went to buy a small electronics item today and when I went to check out on Amazon the shipping came to like $8.98. I thought it used to be about $4.00 or so or depending on the cost free. But anyway, I cancelled the order and bought it online at Wal-mart. I will pick up the item at the store when I do my regular shopping. So no huge problem, but saved the $8 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or