U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 01:21 PM

17,984 posts, read 10,890,133 times

Advertisements

I remember when shopping malls and department stores were a weekly ritual for my family. I remember the cool arcade centers they used to have, the Orange Julius and Hot Dog on a Stick food places. These places weren't just to shop, they were a part of our social lives (humorously depicted in the original "Dawn of the Dead.").

Other than one visit to an outlet mall last year, I haven't been to a department store or mall in years. I simply buy things I could get in a department store online such as Macy's website. No need to deal with parking, annoying people, etc.

Kohl's is closing stores - Business Insider

Quote:
Kohl's is closing 18 stores following a disappointing fourth quarter.

The department store chain reported a 20% drop in fourth quarter profit on Thursday, and said it expects relatively flat sales for the year.....

Department store competitors Macy's, Sears, and JCPenney have been closing stores.

Analysts at RBC Capital Markets believe that this is part of a larger trend in retail, as more customers shop online instead of in stores.

"Macy's announced store closings could have a number of implications on the overall retail landscape," the analysts write. "We believe Macy's decision will catalyze other specialty retailers and department stores to take a harder look at their boxes in these underperforming centers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 02:53 PM

5,044 posts, read 8,029,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I remember when shopping malls and department stores were a weekly ritual for my family. I remember the cool arcade centers they used to have, the Orange Julius and Hot Dog on a Stick food places. These places weren't just to shop, they were a part of our social lives (humorously depicted in the original "Dawn of the Dead.").

Other than one visit to an outlet mall last year, I haven't been to a department store or mall in years. I simply buy things I could get in a department store online such as Macy's website. No need to deal with parking, annoying people, etc.

Kohl's is closing stores - Business Insider
I remember those days too, remember them well, but those days were back around the same time period as the movie (circa 1978).

Online shopping definitely has taken some of the business from the brick and mortar stores. Some stores, like Sears, have been done in by very poor management. Others have overbuilt too m any locations. I'm one, however, that firmly remembers the reality that while those malls were in their heyday, jobs were plentiful and wages were more in line with the cost of living for average people. No one can convince me that a lot of this is not due to declining disposable incomes. You merely have to look at the popularity of Goodwills and thrift stores to see that a lot of people just can't, or won't, pay the prices even the middle class stores charge anymore.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,858 posts, read 56,252,221 times
There are some particular "business casual" shoes that I like and got two pairs on sale at Kohl's a few years ago. When they wore out, my wife found them online for even less than that sale price. Like the other department stores, they waited too long to adapt to modern technology. Their high priced retail store and parking lot square footage cost them a lot more than a warehouse full of goods to be shipped, and online sellers don't have to hire display designers and pay for all of the fancy racks and shelving.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:42 AM

5,452 posts, read 5,371,556 times
The last time I went to Kohl's was with my parents because they had to use some in-store cash thing.

The line for the registers was wrapped half way around the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products