Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

my motherr in law had Lowes install carpet in her house. I have to say it is one of the best installation I have ever seen. My guess is it depends on the contractor used. Theyt also folowed up later to see if everyhting met her expectations which was nice to see with some of the crummy privte compoany problems i have seen over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 9,853 times
Unhappy Home Depot carpet

Never Again! Regardless of the installation price that Home Depot is using as a come on, it will be many times more. We ordered carpet with a $97 installation advertised. First there was the $32 to measure. Then they REQUIRED that we buy new padding, although we did not need it (according to the installer.) Home Dept said they would not warranty the carpet without new pad. Then there is the cost of removing the old carpet. None of this is stated in advance. Our $97 installation cost over $400.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 PM

93 posts, read 685,800 times
I have installed for almost 40 years. The big boxes charge amost 3 times as much for pad as a regular carpet store. The special price is only for certain carpet. They charge extra for everything. You don't really think that the independent installers they use will install a whole house for $97?
They charge extra for things that regular stores do for free, And their customer service is atrocious. You will pay more for installation once they add in the extras than you would at a regular store. Compare total cost to total cost, not price of installation.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I did not see that when my mother in law had hers doen. in fact I had mcuh more problems over the eyars with independent stores than she did. most of thsoe also rely on indeependent contrators to install. My was doe bu one and i had to have the come back to fix palce they installed sompletly wrong.Total cost is esay to compoare when they come pout and give you the cost that is fixed like any other really.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 19,240 times
Default Becareful with Home Depot Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCsand View Post
Want to know your experiences with Home depot's carpet. With $199 installation, I though it would be great deal. Have a measurement, it's 40 sq. yard more than other company's estimate for 4 bedrooms, a bonus room and 22 steps. Got a second company and request another measurement from Home Depot, it's 21 sq. yard different. Is it home depot's policy to be over on material? Padding has to be same amount with carpet too.

TIA

Thought I would check out Home Depot also for their $199 install price. I received their quote and the install price was $1585. (all the extras they charge for) They measured and said I needed 35 square yards more than what Deerfoot Carpet measured. I have used Deerfoot carpet for 25 years - honest people, fair price. Home Depot came up with $4100 to do the job, while Deerfoot came up with $2300 for similar carpet quality and $2700 for slightly better carpet quality.
Note: Both measure the exact same suite. Carpet quality comparable, underlay quality comparable, but a huge difference in price and amount of material required. In fact the difference in amount of yardage at Home Depot would be enough to do 2 more bedrooms.

Be careful and get more than one estimate before making your choice.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 19,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCsand View Post
Want to know your experiences with Home depot's carpet. With $199 installation, I though it would be great deal. Have a measurement, it's 40 sq. yard more than other company's estimate for 4 bedrooms, a bonus room and 22 steps. Got a second company and request another measurement from Home Depot, it's 21 sq. yard different. Is it home depot's policy to be over on material? Padding has to be same amount with carpet too.

TIA
Thought I would check out Home Depot also for their $199 install price. I received their quote and the install price was $1585. (all the extras they charge for) They measured and said I needed 35 square yards more than what Deerfoot Carpet measured. I have used Deerfoot carpet for 25 years - honest people, fair price. Home Depot came up with $4100 to do the job, while Deerfoot came up with $2300 for similar carpet quality and $2700 for slightly better carpet quality.
Note: Both measure the exact same suite. Carpet quality comparable, underlay quality comparable, but a huge difference in price and amount of material required. In fact the difference in amount of yardage at Home Depot would be enough to do 2 more bedrooms.

* Home Depot charged $60 to do the estimate. Deerfoot Carpet - free estimates.

Be careful and get more than one estimate before making your choice.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 9,552 times
Don't fall for Home Depot's $199 deal. First there are hidden costs. In the final bill, they will charge you $45 for "removal of shrinkwrap that the carpet comes in", and even if you ask, the installers will refuse to leave the shrinkwrap (which may at most amount to a plastic shopping bag, ridiculous) because it's part of their cut from HD. Plus, they oversell you carpet, by as much as 30% (on top of the regular 10%-15% ). Plus the installers have a deal with HD that they charge you for the same amount of underlay as the carpet, no matter what (esp with stairs and irregular installations, actual underlay is much less than carpet, as it doesn't need to be cut from a single roll as the carpet plus not all areas are underlaid). Not only that, but the installers refuse to leave you any leftover underlay (which you paid for) because they go around and use it in another job. It's a scam arrangement between HD and installers. Quality of job depends on installers, but outfits like HD usually deal with the most incompetent installers that cannot find jobs other way. All in all, stay away, in the end, you will pay 3 times as much for a half assed job.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
There are a lot of online complaints about EVERY carpet store and installer.

We will be getting new carpet, probably in the spring, sometime after our FTHB check comes. We had an estimate done by Home Depot. They send you not just the estimate, but also a print out showing where and how they will lay the carpet. Very nice.

We're going with the 'big box' store because of their reputation for making it right. We spend several thousands of dollars at HD every year. I don't think they'll jeopardize that business, just to get an extra $1k out of me once. They use independent carpet installers - the same guys with the smaller businesses that aren't big enough to 'eat' the cost of any installer errors, install for HD and Lowe's.

BTW - my 'estimate' cost $35 and will be applied toward the final bill once we are installed. My 'estimate' also guarantees a 'top price', no hidden fees and less than $40 for installation. We have children who are pretty rough on everything, so we chose a mid-grade carpet, that we'll plan on replacing after they are grown and moved out in 15 years or so.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 9,248 times
I had carpet install through Hd it was a nightmare Don't do it. They broke picture on the wall (it was given too me by someone that had pass away) They set my furniture on the lawn that got wet. the carpet was not install right so they had to return to correct it. They also had a line running through my carpet. I paid full price for installation it was a nightmare job. The carpet did not hold up and I still have buckle carpet in one of the bedroom and we don't use this room very much. PLease check around before you buy from HD. They hire contractor and HD never check out there work.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,727 times
never used!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products