U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:20 PM

11 posts, read 131,924 times

Advertisements

Want to know your experiences with Home depot's carpet. With $199 installation, I though it would be great deal. Have a measurement, it's 40 sq. yard more than other company's estimate for 4 bedrooms, a bonus room and 22 steps. Got a second company and request another measurement from Home Depot, it's 21 sq. yard different. Is it home depot's policy to be over on material? Padding has to be same amount with carpet too.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 06:36 PM

5,437 posts, read 15,666,039 times
I did not get carpet done by a certain big-box home-improvement retailer, but I did have hardwood floors installed by them. When the job was done, there was 6 boxes of unused material and probably 20-some feet of extra shoe-moulding. At $100/box, the 6 boxes added up to approximately $600 of extra wood, not counting the moulding. They seriously over-estimated the materials.

I originally thought that I could return it, until I examined it. They had opened every box and had used the larger planks, backfilling the boxes with small planks from other boxes. So, I didn't have 6 complete boxes. I had 6 boxes of partial boxes. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off. Until I went to the store.

The customer service person let me return the extra moulding and the 6 partial boxes and gave me full credit for them. I even made sure that I told her what the installers had done. Didn't matter. They took it anyway.

I don't know if carpeting would work the same way. Perhaps not. You could always sell the extra to some NC State kid for his dorm room.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 AM

655 posts, read 749,276 times
If a professional installer measured the job then it was done right. Carpet is not installed like concrete. It has nap and a flow and it has to be matched. There will be overage on any and all jobs if installed correctly. Usually about 10-15% versus the exact deminsions. Many of these tape estimators measure these jobs as if someone were going to show up at your home and pour the carpet from a bag of liquid. A journey man installer knows better. He will know where the seams are going to go and which way the nap on the carpet will run. It's actually is more complex then most folks think. Ask who did your measuring and if it was not some tie wearing estimator, then you will be fine.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:54 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,455,432 times
^^^ditto^^^

Lowe's is doing the deal as well. I'd go with their carpet over Home Depot's.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM

19,293 posts, read 20,112,756 times
I would never, ever buy flooring from a big box store. Check these out.

Home Depot reviews and complaints - Carpet and Carpet Installation

Lowe's reviews and complaints - Carpet Installation

Old 02-13-2008, 02:34 PM

395 posts, read 1,842,346 times
We had carpet installed from Home Depot 6 or 7 years ago in our master bedroom, what a nightmare. Within a year we had a couple of large "wrinkles" snaking across the carpet, apparently they didn't pull the carpet tight enough when laying it down.

One of the installers spent most of his time leaning out one of the windows and smoking. There is a tiny lump in one area of our carpet with something left underneath, I have always wondered if it's a cigarette butt.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,455,432 times
In Home Depot's defense, we bought our current carpet from them in 1998, 10 years ago. We couldn't afford the top-of-the line, so we settled for their own berber and they installed it for us. They really did a great job, for around $2000 all told. It's due to be replaced this year, we're going with Lowe's because they have a really good deal on a stainmaster frieze that we like. We're doing engineered floating hardwood in our living and dining room ourselves, though.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 10,880,503 times
We did a cheap berber from Lowe's 2 years ago (before we sold our house). Looked nice. Was CHEAP and held up good enough until we sold our house. How it is for the new buyers, well - I don't care.

You do get what you pay for to some degree, so if you buy a cheap carpet from a big box store, don't expect it to hold up like a 25 year warranteed Mohawk or Shaw.

Oh, and Lowe's/HD sell Mohawk and Shaw among their premiere brands - and it is the same carpet you can go to a carpet store and pay more for.

But their cheap stuff is CHEAP.

oh, and if you have problems with a Lowe's installation (they subcontract installations) go to your store and COMPLAIN. They will probably stretch it for free. They will go out of their way (to the point of taking a loss) to make customers happy.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 79,046 times
I worked at HD as an installations coordinator. I saw several situations where the store took a loss just to please a customer. Some of the situations were just down right silly, like the customer with a full house of blinds that were "eggshell ivory" instead of "satin ivory". The factory had stopped producing eggshell and substituted satin. You absolutely could not tell the difference, but we refunded them like $1000. Another was a lady who painted her house while a plush carpet was still in. She had ordered berber, so obvisously the paint line left 1/2 inch around the floors due to different carpet height. We paid out the gazooo for that lady. She accused the carpet salesman of being sexist - so I had to go to her house with him to avoid any further weird accusations. She got money from the store to cover the painting, even though it was not the store's fault. My advise, complain, complain, complain and you'll get what you want. The squeeky wheel gets the grease at HD.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 AM

19,116 posts, read 27,171,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG_Gal View Post
I worked at HD as an installations coordinator. I saw several situations where the store took a loss just to please a customer. Some of the situations were just down right silly, like the customer with a full house of blinds that were "eggshell ivory" instead of "satin ivory". The factory had stopped producing eggshell and substituted satin. You absolutely could not tell the difference, but we refunded them like $1000. Another was a lady who painted her house while a plush carpet was still in. She had ordered berber, so obvisously the paint line left 1/2 inch around the floors due to different carpet height. We paid out the gazooo for that lady. She accused the carpet salesman of being sexist - so I had to go to her house with him to avoid any further weird accusations. She got money from the store to cover the painting, even though it was not the store's fault. My advise, complain, complain, complain and you'll get what you want. The squeeky wheel gets the grease at HD.

Yep! Before I was promoted to DH at the Home Depot I was at, I was an Install coordinator/Expeditor for Kitchen/Bath/and millworks. We had a guy there full time JUST to deal with carpet problems.

Complain Complain and then Complain a little more and the managers will bend over backwards for you, even if it's ridiculously obvious that it was your fault. Hell, we had a few people fired because customers complained that the associate did something wrong...they didn't, but the customer is always right and they were let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products