U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 11:34 PM

9,573 posts, read 12,516,973 times

Advertisements

Just as an FYI, Amazon Prime is two day shipping meaning the package is sent to be delivered within 2 days of the shipment date. Amazon never said it will be 2 days from order to delivery. If you read their terms and conditions, that item you order can technically sit for weeks at Amazon's location before being actually given to a shipper just so long as once they hand it over to the shipper it's sent via a method that will deliver it in two days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 1 day ago)

15,523 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks so much for this info.

Many of my Prime orders dont arrive within the promised 2-day timeframe. When I've contacted Amazon about the late deliveries, they've told me that Amazon can not guarantee 2-day Prime shipping based on how far the shipment has to travel, even if 2-day shipping was guaranteed for my order. I've never been offered any compensation and never knew to ask.

I googled this and found that Amazon has recently started a program, called Ship by Region, that lets certain sellers designate where they’re willing to ship goods in 2 days or less to Prime members. Apparently Prime members are not advised of this restriction when they place their orders -- only when they complain about the shipment's not arriving within the 2-day timeframe.

I used to shop almost exclusively at Amazon but, because of this problem and other issues with shipping (minimum tape on the boxes, causing them to come open in transit, and little-to-no packing material used for delicate items and bottles, resulting in broken or leaking merchandise), I've started shopping at other sites more often.
Good for you. Because Amazon's isn't treating any of their customers right. And their excuse for not getting the items to you in a timely fashion is complete and utter horse excrement, IMO. The primary benefit Prime members supposedly receive with their $99 membership fee is free two day shipping. Let's set aside the fact that tons of products that used to be shipped for free no longer are because of the invention of Prime Pantry and Add-On. Now they no longer even guarantee two day shipping?! Smh.

These other "benefits" are rather lame in comparison. One crappy loaned Kindle book per month and the ability to view streamed shows which are now loaded with commercials doesn't seem like such a great deal. Oh, and never mind the fact that the Fulfilled items are usually more expensive, so the shipping price is probably built in anyway.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:15 PM

15,240 posts, read 20,189,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Just as an FYI, Amazon Prime is two day shipping meaning the package is sent to be delivered within 2 days of the shipment date. Amazon never said it will be 2 days from order to delivery. If you read their terms and conditions, that item you order can technically sit for weeks at Amazon's location before being actually given to a shipper just so long as once they hand it over to the shipper it's sent via a method that will deliver it in two days.

I wouldnt have a problem with that if I knew, in advance, that the order would not be shipped for an extended priod of time. I've seen, on the product pages for several Amazon items, that shipping will not occur for weeks -- so I know that situation exists.

My problem is that my order confirmation (as shown on both on Amazon's site and in my confirmation email) always shows a "guaranteed delivery date" which is almost always 2 days after the order date. However, my orders often dont arrive until after that "guaranteed delivery date". And, in those cases, I see (by checking tracking) that the orders were not even shipped until after that "guaranteed delivery date".

Old 03-20-2016, 07:15 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Just as an FYI, Amazon Prime is two day shipping meaning the package is sent to be delivered within 2 days of the shipment date. Amazon never said it will be 2 days from order to delivery.
Except when you order an item, the order details and confirmation email both say "guaranteed delivery date", not guaranteed to be delivered within 2 days of shipment date.

The product pages also will have something like "Want it by Wednesday March 22? Order within 20 hrs and 5 min. and choose two-day shipping."

Although there are times when the product page will have a different shipping timeline. I was looking at something the other day, and with Prime Shipping it said the item would ship within 2-3 weeks. With that, yes the 2 days is based on the shipment date and not the order date. But I would know that before deciding to order the item. I also reordered something today, and it showed on the item page that it would be delivered between March 28 and April 1. When I got the confirmation email, it stated that I would get another email with a guaranteed delivery date when the item was prepared to ship. Again, completely fine because I knew that from the item's description page before I ordered.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:34 AM

12,415 posts, read 18,374,126 times
It hasn't happened to me. But Im not sure if it has to do with where you live? I live in the middle of a huge city so that might be why.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
It hasn't happened to me. But Im not sure if it has to do with where you live? I live in the middle of a huge city so that might be why.

I live in the middle of one of the largest cities in the US.

Amazon's failure to deliver on time is due to its indifference. It uses USPS almost exclusively for 2-day shipping now -- even though I've advised, many times, that USPS delays most of my deliveries because the merchandise gets stuck for days in various sorting facilties. That's why I've started paying for 1-day delivery, so UPS or FedEx can deliver -- but, even then, the merchandise often doesnt leave Amazon's warehouse until aftyer the promised 1-day delivery date.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:01 PM

9,573 posts, read 12,516,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Except when you order an item, the order details and confirmation email both say "guaranteed delivery date", not guaranteed to be delivered within 2 days of shipment date.
Except when you read the fine print, "guaranteed delivery date" means nothing. The only date that matters as far as 2-day Prime shipping is the date the order leaves their facility with the delivery carrier. Everything else they say, post on the website, send you via email or use for marketing is still based on the fine print that 2 day shipping is 2 days from when the carrier picks it up and takes possession of it.

I have had great success with Amazon in credits and refunds based on a delivery delay beyond the two days by the carrier, but, absolutely nothing if the delay is occurring before actual shipment. They just refer you back tot he agreement and terms & conditions that tells you 2-day Prime shipping is from the day it leaves their hands.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:16 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I live in the middle of one of the largest cities in the US.

Amazon's failure to deliver on time is due to its indifference. It uses USPS almost exclusively for 2-day shipping now -- even though I've advised, many times, that USPS delays most of my deliveries because the merchandise gets stuck for days in various sorting facilties.
That is a problem with your local USPS, and not Amazon. USPS also delivers my 2-day shipments, and I've never had a problem. Even with Saturday and Sunday deliveries. Once it leaves the Amazon warehouse, there isn't much they can do to keep your package moving. They're not involved in the sorting facilities.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That is a problem with your local USPS, and not Amazon. USPS also delivers my 2-day shipments, and I've never had a problem. Even with Saturday and Sunday deliveries. Once it leaves the Amazon warehouse, there isn't much they can do to keep your package moving. They're not involved in the sorting facilities.

Yes, but I've reported the problem to Amazon many times and asked that they use FedEx or UPS. I even offered to pay a nominal fee for either those two services. Amazon refuses to do so, so I contend that it *is* Amazon's fault.

And, of coruse, USPS has nothing to do with the times that Amazon doesnt ship the merchandise until after the "guaranteed arrival date".

Old 03-21-2016, 04:35 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,907,474 times
I've never had a problem with prime, but I've gotten where I look at the company too. If they are overseas, I assume I cannot realistically expect quick shipping. I have one which has been considerably delayed and ordered another companies which will get here in two days. I didn't cancel the first since I see a need for them soon on other projects, and its shipped. It wasn't prime but they do not use tracking.

Mostly, I find that things come early over late. A good many prime purchases have been there the next day.

I've also found that overall, the quality of amazon products is better than the brick and mortor for the same price, or even stores on line. It's also very valuable as a source of things which are hard to find and there is a lot more information than other online sources.

My cats have a system of box tunnels and think I've bought all these boxes JUST for them :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or