U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 01:00 PM

39,907 posts, read 57,741,604 times

Advertisements

If you buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, and return as little as 10 percent of it, the e-commerce giant may close your account and confiscate the value of any gift cards you have on deposit with them. In some cases Amazon has even reportedly cancelled the accounts of other family members living at the same address.
That is already happening in the UK. Part of the problem may be that Amazon doesn't disclose how many returns are too many.

Banned by Amazon for returning faulty goods | Money | The Guardian
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 03:27 PM

9,784 posts, read 11,269,350 times
Amazon's cancellation of accounts having excessive returns is very reasonable. The OP says, ''as little as 10‰.'' I'd call that an extraordinarily high amount. i've been using Amazon since the beginning twenty years ago; I'm sure that I've placed well over a thousand orders. I can only recall two returns although I may have forgotten one or two more. One return was for an optically scanned book which had large sections that were unreadable. The other was for dog food that was recalled. Amazon sent me a notification of the recall.

People who make unreasonable returns cost legitimate customers money.

As far as ''confiscating'' credit balances is concerned, I won't comment because there's inadequate information in the article.

Amazon isn't perfect by any means, but in this case they're right.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 03-21-2016 at 04:12 PM..

Old 03-21-2016, 04:06 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Amazon's cancellation of accounts having excessive returns is very reasonable. The OP says, ''as little as 10‰.'' I'd call that an extraordinarily high amount. i've been using Amazon since the beginning twenty years ago; I'm sure that I've placed well over a thousand orders. I can only recall two returns although I may have forgotten one or two more. One return was for an optically scanned book which had large sections that were unreadable. The other was for dog food that was recalled. Amazon sent me a notification of the recall.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't know how many orders I've placed with Amazon, but over the past 10 years I'm sure I've bought hundreds of items. Looking at my account, I've bought 34 items in just the last 6 months. I've never returned a single item.

I would find it highly questionable if 10% of the items someone was receiving from Amazon was faulty. I can understand it happening every now and then, but 10% of the time seems very high. Seems like someone who needs to start reading reviews or be a little more careful about who they are purchasing the item from through Amazon.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:42 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
There's been times when I've had greater than 10% return rate. Especially when I'm buying shoes. I buy a size bigger and smaller along with my size and return the two that don't fit. Amazon is encouraging this behavior with their free returns policy on clothing and shoes. I almost never return anything outside of shoes, however.

One time I ordered chocolate and it arrived melted. They didn't even want it returned. They refunded me on the spot.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:16 AM

11,163 posts, read 14,808,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I buy a size bigger and smaller along with my size and return the two that don't fit. Amazon is encouraging this behavior with their free returns policy on clothing and shoes.
Whaaaa...? I kinda doubt that Amazon considers that many of their customers would purposely buy 3 like items with the intention of returning 2 of them. Refunds are generally for damaged, defective, not as advertised and the occasional doesn't fit, I don't think any retailer would consider your method of returns an expected shopping process. That has to be one of the more bizarre things I've heard lately, and seems like a very good reason to ban that sort of thing!

Old 03-25-2016, 07:29 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,391,344 times
Quote:
There's been times when I've had greater than 10% return rate. Especially when I'm buying shoes. I buy a size bigger and smaller along with my size and return the two that don't fit. Amazon is encouraging this behavior with their free returns policy on clothing and shoes. I almost never return anything outside of shoes, however.

One time I ordered chocolate and it arrived melted. They didn't even want it returned. They refunded me on the spot.
Actually, shoes are one of the items noted on Amazon as being returnable for free! And not an uncommon way to purchase a new type of shoe.
I did the same thing a few years ago with some Propet boots since you can never tell how a shoe is sized. No problem returning two of them. But from then on, I knew and purchased quite a few of the correct sized boots.
Did the same thing a year ago with New Balance tennis shoes.

The process is NOT strange at all. Just look at 90 percent of the online shoe stores and they include free return shipping if the shoes do not fit!

My problem with the closing of accounts is the stealing of the money on gift cards. At the least, Amazon should allow them to use up that money in a set time or lose it. I can see lawsuits flying in the USA if they stole that money.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:22 AM

12,415 posts, read 18,374,126 times
I resonantly asked for a refund from Amazon for an item I never received. It was a school book. I reordered the same book and this time I received it. I think it was stolen. I have ordered maybe 50 -100 items and I have only had issues once. 10 % is allot. I'm team Amazon.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:26 AM

12,415 posts, read 18,374,126 times
Quote:

I think it's pretty clear that certain items are more understandable to return than others. Shoes for instance. They can see on your order history that you buy 3 pair of shoes of the same kind and return 2 pair. It's pretty clear what's going on. It makes perfect sense.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:16 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,521,694 times
I think they already to that in the US. Unlike Ebay they are pretty good at spotting thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products