U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:00 PM

19,129 posts, read 19,978,923 times

Advertisements

The Mall Kiosk Employee is defined as The Human Version Of A Pop Up Ad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:52 PM

1,040 posts, read 926,293 times
I do not like aggressive salespeople in any situation. I totally don't mind being approached, offered help, or even upsold if I'm already in a store, as long as it's not aggressive. The second it becomes aggressive, I leave--not because I lack assertiveness, but because I.hate.sales.

So as you would expect, I hate the pushy kiosk people who accost you in the hallway, or even worst, calling at you from across the hall to get your attention.

I was in a resort once that had the super pushy face **** stores. Every 20 feet, another aggressive woman is demanding I try some new wonder cream, even grabbing my hand and putting it on. Once I went inside to see what it was all about, and I said at the entrance I wasn't interested in the product du jour but something else they sold. There was a jobber at the door whose job was to pull you into the back of the store, and another person was in the back to smear you with **** and close the sale. When I left because the thing I requested was out of stock, you should have seen the piercing evil look jobber #1 gave to #2. So obviously they are on a hefty commission.

I try to keep my resting ***** face on and make no eye contact while saying, "No thank you," and walking away at the same time.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:24 AM

323 posts, read 363,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
And Girl Scout cookies... yeah, in another mall, they run up to you, pleading that you'll buy their cookies. That's a whole nother thing there (although in the end, they just want to make the sale like any other scout or business).
At least girl scout cookies are tasty xD

You're actually fortunate to have them in the mall... in my area, it feels sometimes that buying gs cookies is like buying cocaine... if you don't have the right contact, you're out of it...

I think the kiosks may not only be hefty commissions or commissions at all, but sometimes is sales goals that the company demands the employee to meet in order to keep their jobs

Also, I wonder if commission paid, means less hourly pay?

I'm not defending any sides, just giving a thought

Old 04-17-2016, 01:01 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,999,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsard View Post
At least girl scout cookies are tasty xD

You're actually fortunate to have them in the mall... in my area, it feels sometimes that buying gs cookies is like buying cocaine... if you don't have the right contact, you're out of it...

I think the kiosks may not only be hefty commissions or commissions at all, but sometimes is sales goals that the company demands the employee to meet in order to keep their jobs

Also, I wonder if commission paid, means less hourly pay?

I'm not defending any sides, just giving a thought
[shrug] Your guess is as good as mine. I'd agree that it seems like they did indeed need to make the sales to stick around. That can indeed invoke some aggressive sales tactics.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,634 times
These people are an absolute nuisance at two local malls here.

It's like a battlefield trying to get from one end to the other:
- "No, I don't care to try your dead sea mineral skincare products" (I'm a guy, and they even go after me trying to get me to buy them!)
- "No, I don't need a new cell phone (or case)."
- "No, I do not wish to register for your vacation voucher giveaway drawing. I don't need you to sell my info; I already get enough junk mail, calls, and spam every day, thank you very much."
- "No, I don't smoke, nor do I wish to try your E-Cigs."
In addition, one time, I almost got hit by a RC helicopter around Christmas years ago that was being controlled by one of these kiosks.

To avoid them, I just stick as close to the actual stores as I can, look away from them, and speed up when they're busy trying to sell to someone else.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:45 AM

7,970 posts, read 9,375,172 times
The worst are the ones who sell the Dead Sea Salt cream. I pretend that I'm on the phone when I walk by them.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:59 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,967,472 times
Once, several years ago, I was taken by surprise and it took a while to escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aCX36AJhAQ

Old 04-23-2016, 05:58 PM

11,506 posts, read 5,341,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you want to curtail the practice, complain to the mall management. Tell them you do not want to visit because the kiosk vendors are too aggressive.

I have done this on more than one occasion and it hasn't helped. Now I've learned to avoid eye contact or pretend I'm on my cell phone.

With as many kiosks selling skin care products from "The Dead Sea" I'm surprised there's any salt left in it.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:01 PM

11,506 posts, read 5,341,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Once, several years ago, I was taken by surprise and it took a while to escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aCX36AJhAQ

Friggin' hilarious!

Old 04-26-2016, 08:03 AM

6,231 posts, read 5,513,844 times
Never been solicited by one of those vendors. They are usually just standing there on their smartphone or doing something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or