U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,987,317 times

Advertisements

I'm in search of a good basic AM/FM radio. Particularly seeking one that picks up AM stations really well. Does anyone have a certain make or model that they can recommend me towards? Also, where I can get it?

Thanks in advance shoppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,217,857 times
Are you looking in a specific price range?

If you're willing to shell out big money ($140), the CCRadio+ has long been considered a champion at pulling in AM stations:

CCRadio Plus

A negative is that I've heard Sangean, which makes the CCRadio+, has quality issues- the screens break. I had a different Sangean model for a long time and it didn't have any quality issues, but just an FYI.

Another radio good for receiving weak stations is the GE/RCA Superadio:

Amazon.com: RCA RP7887 AM/FM Super Port Radio: Electronics

The Superadio has a great reputation and is much cheaper than the CCRadio, but doesn't have digital tuning, and is very bulky.

Personally, I own a Sony ICF-M410V:

Amazon.com: Sony ICF-M410V Portable FM/AM/TV/Weather Radio with Sleep/Turn-on Timer: Electronics

This thing is portable, cheap, and while it doesn't have the reception of a CCRadio+ or Superradio, it is still one of the better AM performers. Great battery life too. Sound is decent, but it's a small speaker, so not as full a sound as the other radios I mentioned. I've been very happy with it, and would wholeheartedly recommend it if you're looking for a small, portable radio. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's sold anymore, though I'm sure you can get one on eBay.

If none of those work for you, I'd advise checking out other Sangean and Sony models on Amazon, as those seem to be the brands that put the most effort into good reception on their cheap portables. The reviews on there will usually clue you in to if it's a quality radio or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products