U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 07:17 PM

409 posts, read 442,195 times

Advertisements

[quote=SXMGirl;43576978] One thing to consider, which I did not know, is that if you have a second floor laundry like I do, not every washer should be on a second floor because of vibrations. We had planned to buy a Speed Queen but was advised against it for that reason.

I have a Speed Queen that I purchased six months ago. I love it because there's nothing to break. It has no computerized motherboard - no lights,no buzzer. It's a top loader with the old fashioned style agitator.

I have it on my second floor. It has far less noise and vibration than my old Maytag Neptune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 07:46 PM

7,462 posts, read 4,112,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Hello all. I'm pretty sure I'll be in the market for a new washing machine pretty soon. I currently have a top load, 8-9 year old machine that is acting up and is on its way out. I was scouring the Internet looking for reviews, however, I won't be buying anything new new. I'll more than likely head over to the Sears outlet center for their dings and dents specials. They always have fantastic deals. Usually 40-60% off retail. 4 years ago I purchased a new refrigerator from them. I paid $350 for a nice fridge that originally cost around $650. Yes, there were a few scratches and dents, but hell, it was new and still carried the original warranty.

Because I won't know what kind of washing machine I'll be buying, I was wanting opinions on front loaders vs. top loaders.
Some years back I bought a front loading Whirlpool. Some people don't like them. But I LOVE it. Uses less water, is quiet, gets clothes clean, doesn't tear them up as much as agitator top loaders, seems to me. I've had my front loader for maybe 10 years with not one problem. No repairs needed yet.

I got it after my second repair to the agitator in the Whirlpool top loader I had.

One thing I like about front loaders is that it handles the small loads a lot better than a top loader. I tend to do several small loads. Yet, it seems to handle larger loads (like sheet set with pillow cases) just fine, too.

So it depends on whether you want to focus on large loads or small loads, maybe. Nothing holds as much as an extra large capacity top loader. But nothing handles small loads as well as a front loader. Because the bucket doesn't "fill," it doesn't really matter what size the load is.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:50 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,622,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
If it were me, the first thing I'd do would be to check Consumer Reports.

Front loaders are considered "better" for a number of reasons, including that they use less water. Personally, I prefer top loaders for a number of reasons, including that I can open it after it starts.
I prefer top loaders too. I talked to an appliance repairman to get his take on washing machines, seeing as he repairs these things, and often, he suggested I look at top load. He says he does go out to do warranty repairs, just not as often as front load. He also said top load washers usually last around 9/10 years vs. front loads 7/8 years.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I would just not opt for a low water washer. You need water to get clothes clean. I've only used other people's low water washers and they never got my clothes clean.
Yea, I've never used front loaders before, but the thought of using less water seems counterintuitive.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I prefer a front loader and last summer bought an Electrolux washer and dryer and am more than pleased. One thing to consider, which I did not know, is that if you have a second floor laundry like I do, not every washer should be on a second floor because of vibrations. We had planned to buy a Speed Queen but was advised against it for that reason.

We did use a local appliance dealership that is very well respected. I was unsure about Electrolux but not any longer. Our sales person has been with this appliance company for twenty years and knows their products. I have done business with Sears in the past, but I would suggest doing a good bit of research (not just on this board) before purchasing.

I am not certain about other front loaders, but I can pause my washer on any cycle to open the door if needed, something that I could not do with my Kenmore.
I have heard about Eletrolux brand. Pretty good from what I've heard.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I like an HE front loader, much lower water use and it's gentler on clothes. My dryer lint trap has so much less in it since I'm not using a top loader with an agitator. Our clothes and linens aren't having the heck beat out of them.

Our clothes are cleaner but I also switched detergents I was using. You'll use a lot less detergent but it has to be HE formulated if you go for a high effieciency model.

Consumer Reports have 30 day online memberships for $6-7, they go through all the differences between the types of washers. They also compare washing detergents, that's where I learned the cheaper brand I was using was rated at 40 compared to the best one at 85. It was worth the money to me.

My front loader also unlocks and allow additional items to be put in during the first five minutes, after that I'm locked out.
That was another concern. Using HE detergent. I have an infant at home and therefore use the baby detergent and can seem to only find one brand of baby safe detergent. I've never seen the HE version of the baby detergent.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Some years back I bought a front loading Whirlpool. Some people don't like them. But I LOVE it. Uses less water, is quiet, gets clothes clean, doesn't tear them up as much as agitator top loaders, seems to me. I've had my front loader for maybe 10 years with not one problem. No repairs needed yet.

I got it after my second repair to the agitator in the Whirlpool top loader I had.

One thing I like about front loaders is that it handles the small loads a lot better than a top loader. I tend to do several small loads. Yet, it seems to handle larger loads (like sheet set with pillow cases) just fine, too.

So it depends on whether you want to focus on large loads or small loads, maybe. Nothing holds as much as an extra large capacity top loader. But nothing handles small loads as well as a front loader. Because the bucket doesn't "fill," it doesn't really matter what size the load is.
Hmm. Ok. I usually go for large loads.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:04 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,812,881 times
I see the point of front loaders. But I'd never buy one. I've yet to know personally a single person who has one and really likes it. Problems, problems, and more problems. One family I know bought an expensive set with the caveat that they could return it within a month if it didn't live up to what they were told about it. They called the appliance dealer to come get it after two weeks.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I see the point of front loaders. But I'd never buy one. I've yet to know personally a single person who has one and really likes it. Problems, problems, and more problems. One family I know bought an expensive set with the caveat that they could return it within a month if it didn't live up to what they were told about it. They called the appliance dealer to come get it after two weeks.
Yea, my brother and his wife bought a washer/dryer set. Front loader. Within the first month, they had to use the warranty for a repair. I'm going to ask him what brand and what went wrong.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:19 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,930,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

When I bought my house a set of front loader washer and dryer came with it. I hated them. Part of the problem was that they were never leveled correctly. Another problem was that I couldn't seem to do small loads and had to always have it packed to work right. I'm just one person and don't need a large load washer. Every time I tried to do something that wasn't what it 'liked' I got error messages up the kazoo! After nearly a year I gave up, sold that set and bought a brand new Kenmore set from Sears. It's an HD top loader, uses less water than the traditional top loader and does a great job. The water sensor does a good job with 'just the right amount' of water too. It doesn't have all the electronics the front loader did and I like that too. Simple and easy to use. I've talked to quite a few people who have front loaders and most of them don't like them much. The one thing I'm not crazy about is how tangled the clothes get when it spins. The dryer does a pretty good job of getting the wrinkles out but wish I could set the spin for less of it! Otherwise I'm perfectly happy with my new set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products