U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,622,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
When I bought my house a set of front loader washer and dryer came with it. I hated them. Part of the problem was that they were never leveled correctly. Another problem was that I couldn't seem to do small loads and had to always have it packed to work right. I'm just one person and don't need a large load washer. Every time I tried to do something that wasn't what it 'liked' I got error messages up the kazoo! After nearly a year I gave up, sold that set and bought a brand new Kenmore set from Sears. It's an HD top loader, uses less water than the traditional top loader and does a great job. The water sensor does a good job with 'just the right amount' of water too. It doesn't have all the electronics the front loader did and I like that too. Simple and easy to use. I've talked to quite a few people who have front loaders and most of them don't like them much. The one thing I'm not crazy about is how tangled the clothes get when it spins. The dryer does a pretty good job of getting the wrinkles out but wish I could set the spin for less of it! Otherwise I'm perfectly happy with my new set.
That's one thing I have heard of pretty commonly, the wrinkles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 11:37 PM

7,616 posts, read 7,237,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
That was another concern. Using HE detergent. I have an infant at home and therefore use the baby detergent and can seem to only find one brand of baby safe detergent. I've never seen the HE version of the baby detergent.
Dreft Newborn Detergent comes in HE. I have allergies and use it for my clothes. It does a good job getting my clothes clean and smells good in the house--like a baby just out of the bath!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:33 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,361,059 times
Late 2014 I had to replace my 20+ year old Maytag. I opted for a Speed Queen top loader. All mechanical and solid is a rock.

I housesit and have used front loaders in other houses, and didn't like them as much. A few leave my clothes musty smelling and I am one of those who believe you need water to get clothes clean.

My .02

Old 04-03-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Dreft Newborn Detergent comes in HE. I have allergies and use it for my clothes. It does a good job getting my clothes clean and smells good in the house--like a baby just out of the bath!
Yea. When our daughter was born, we decided to switch to the baby detergent and now my Gain just sits there unused. Anyway, where on earth have you found the HE version? I've looked multiple places. I see HE, but never the Dreft baby brand. Whenever I go out shopping for detergent, I always look for the HE version because I know that while my washing machine is going, buying a new one will force me to use HE.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:36 AM

9,151 posts, read 5,318,589 times
i bought sumsung front loaders, nothing wrong with them, I wanted a blue washer. If i had to do over I think it be top loader. I agree that you need water to flush the dirt. also the front loader take two hours per load. The samsung is a good model and have had zero issues with them

Old 04-03-2016, 01:43 PM

3,979 posts, read 2,361,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
also the front loader take two hours per load. The samsung is a good model and have had zero issues with them
I totally forgot about that! Even on a regular setting, it was taking me at least 2 hours to wash a set of sheets in a new front loader and dryer. (over an hour for the washer and right around an hour for the dryer, providing there weren't any towels or blankets in there).

The SQ washes in 25 minutes and spins well enough that the sheets are dry in around 30 minutes.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:36 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
also the front loader take two hours per load.
Only on the soak/stain cycle.
My average load takes 42 minutes.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:22 PM

12,200 posts, read 20,788,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
That's one thing I have heard of pretty commonly, the wrinkles.

Always always shake your wet laundry as you put it into the dryer -- that loosens up the piece and fluffs it, so the dryer can dry the stuff more evenly. I know it's easier to pull the clothes out of the washer and toss them into the dryer, but shaking them works.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:48 PM

2,675 posts, read 2,018,863 times
Go with the old reliable - top loader. But be careful. They now have these P'sOCr that do not have agitators in them, horrible cycles that don't wash anything, and if at all possible, find one that doesn't decide what temperature "Hot" water is. (I'm not sure they even have those anymore) My Roper did not "regulate" the temp of hot water loading. Just loaded hot right from the pipe. Detergents today are lousy and you need pure hot water to really get stuff clean; now more than ever. Not a bad idea to go on the net and just see what's out there and check the specs. You'll have a much better idea of what's best. Look at Roper - it's Whirlpool's bottom line. No frilly junk. Happy hunting.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Go with the old reliable - top loader. But be careful. They now have these P'sOCr that do not have agitators in them, horrible cycles that don't wash anything, and if at all possible, find one that doesn't decide what temperature "Hot" water is. (I'm not sure they even have those anymore) My Roper did not "regulate" the temp of hot water loading. Just loaded hot right from the pipe. Detergents today are lousy and you need pure hot water to really get stuff clean; now more than ever. Not a bad idea to go on the net and just see what's out there and check the specs. You'll have a much better idea of what's best. Look at Roper - it's Whirlpool's bottom line. No frilly junk. Happy hunting.
Alright, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products