U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 08:03 PM

7,624 posts, read 7,237,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yea. When our daughter was born, we decided to switch to the baby detergent and now my Gain just sits there unused. Anyway, where on earth have you found the HE version? I've looked multiple places. I see HE, but never the Dreft baby brand. Whenever I go out shopping for detergent, I always look for the HE version because I know that while my washing machine is going, buying a new one will force me to use HE.
We found the Newborn Dreft at Kroger grocery. They also have a Kroger brand, which I believe is an he. On the Dreft, the he is very tiny and is on the right side of the label. I think it has to be the newborn version to get the he. It does a very good job and got my white robe cleaner that it has ever been!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 08:19 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i bought sumsung front loaders, nothing wrong with them, I wanted a blue washer. If i had to do over I think it be top loader. I agree that you need water to flush the dirt. also the front loader take two hours per load. The samsung is a good model and have had zero issues with them
Presets for our five-year-old Samsung are Normal load at 51 minutes, Delicates at 45 and Quick Wash is 27 ... we always use the option to add an extra rinse cycle to the Normal load, taking it to 69 minutes. There are other settings for Heavy Duty and Perm Press that take longer than the Normal setting, but do not hit the two hour mark and the Normal+Extra Rinse (69 minutes) has dealt with everything we have thrown at it. Things dry in a hurry, even items hung to air dry.

There are other reasons we would not buy another front loading machine, but speed is not one of them. We have always used HE detergent with it and made sure not to overload the detergent. And tried it with liquid softener, without liquid softener, using white vinegar instead of softener. The only thing that seems to make a dent getting all of the detergent out is the extra rinse cycle, which defeats the low-water use feature of a front-loading washer.

But this Samsung has been a rock, gets used for at least ten loads a week for five years with no issues at all. When it dies, however, the replacement will be a top-loading machine.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:29 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,747,053 times
It's not even close. Top loaders all the way for me. Front loaders are garbage. I am getting a SpeedQueen brand next time around.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:13 PM

17,086 posts, read 10,188,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
You can open a front loader after it starts - the one I have anyway. The tub is tilted and there is so little water that nothing spills out. You just pause, wait for it to unlatch and open/close, then restart.

It was a Maytag Neptune.

It did break down after ten years and I went with a top loader. I wanted to be able to use lots of water. My other half liked to use the shortest wash time possible and his clothes just didn't smell clean. He can get sweaty and smelly.

So I went with the top loader to make sure his clothes were immersed in enough water to get clean.
My Maytag Neptune front load washer and dryer are still going strong after seventeen years! I think those things are unbreakable. I just finished washing a very heavy queen-size quilt this morning (spring cleaning), and the washer handled the load with ease.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:56 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,930,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
That's one thing I have heard of pretty commonly, the wrinkles.

Yeah, you have to really shake them up before putting in the dryer! My dryer does well though. I forgot another reason I didn't like the front loader...it took over an hour to wash a load. It could take all day if I had multiple loads so another reason I like my new top loader.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:35 AM

809 posts, read 685,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I would just not opt for a low water washer. You need water to get clothes clean. I've only used other people's low water washers and they never got my clothes clean.
this is very true, we purchased a new front loading set, a consumer reports recommended set, was very expensive

the cloths came out with dry spots on them (some parts of the clothes never even got wet)

we tried:

increasing the amount of soap
decreasing the amount of soap
different soaps
using the "heavy soil" extra water mode
running each load twice

nothing helped

we had the service techs out twice, nothing wrong, "this is the way the new front-loaders are" is what both techs said

we kept the dryer, but returned the washer and bought an "old school" top loader that fills completely with water and have been happy ever since

Old 04-07-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
It's not even close. Top loaders all the way for me. Front loaders are garbage. I am getting a SpeedQueen brand next time around.
solid advice

the front loaders from 20 years ago were fantastic, better than top loaders

as a kid i remember watching the clothes tumble through the glass, full of suds with water 3/4 of the way up the glass

the new ones the glass is dry

the new front loaders are required to use almost no water, it's an EPA thing, commercial units are exempt

if you can pick up a commercial speed queen front loader they are great, but any residential version of a front loader will not get your cloths wet, let alone clean

Old 04-07-2016, 12:07 PM

"Those front loader washers are like the low water use toilets--you gotta flush twice to get the same amount done."

How Washington Ruined Your Washing Machine:

How Washington Ruined Your Washing Machine

How Government Condemned Us to Dirty Clothes by Mandating Sub-Standard Washing Machines

https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.co...hing-machines/

Old 04-07-2016, 12:09 PM

1,373 posts, read 848,252 times
Just don't get the racist ones that separate the whites from the coloreds....

I have been protesting for years now but nobody seems to care...

Old 04-07-2016, 12:16 PM

3,904 posts, read 9,579,957 times
We bought a front loader because we have a septic system and needed to significantly reduce the amount of water being used by the washer. I had heard bad things about the top loaders that use less water. I was very skeptical but I must say I am really impressed with my Whirlpool front loaders. No issues getting the clothes clean and it holds a lot of clothes.

If I didn't have to worry about the water usage, I'd probably buy the Speed Queen top loader though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products