U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:27 PM

598 posts, read 423,548 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz7z...&nohtml5=False
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 05:19 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,361,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We bought a front loader because we have a septic system and needed to significantly reduce the amount of water being used by the washer. I had heard bad things about the top loaders that use less water. I was very skeptical but I must say I am really impressed with my Whirlpool front loaders. No issues getting the clothes clean and it holds a lot of clothes.

If I didn't have to worry about the water usage, I'd probably buy the Speed Queen top loader though.
The Speed Queens also use less water than they used to thanks to the new regulations, buts it's easy to override.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:38 AM

809 posts, read 685,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
The Speed Queens also use less water than they used to thanks to the new regulations, buts it's easy to override.
How?

Old 04-08-2016, 01:21 PM

17,086 posts, read 10,188,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
this is very true, we purchased a new front loading set, a consumer reports recommended set, was very expensive

the cloths came out with dry spots on them (some parts of the clothes never even got wet)

we tried:

increasing the amount of soap
decreasing the amount of soap
different soaps
using the "heavy soil" extra water mode
running each load twice

nothing helped

we had the service techs out twice, nothing wrong, "this is the way the new front-loaders are" is what both techs said

we kept the dryer, but returned the washer and bought an "old school" top loader that fills completely with water and have been happy ever since
Huh. That's interesting. I've been using a Maytag Neptune for seventeen years, as I posted earlier. I've never had that problem. When I washed a queen size quilt yesterday, it came out clean and wet throughout. The dryer is still going strong, too, although I line dry about 50% of the time...one of the benefits of living in the very dry environment of Colorado.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:06 PM

3,979 posts, read 2,361,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
How?
You can manually override it by turning the fill knob to the right and it will continue to fill up until you let go of the knob. Only problem with this, is that the rinse cycle won't fill as high unless you manually fill that too. I believe mine stops filling 4" below the top of the drum on the largest setting.

To make it a more permanent setting, there is a ********* can turn under a panel at the back of the machine. This changes all the fill settings, so small will be a little more water too. There are YouTube videos demonstrating this.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:16 AM

12,200 posts, read 20,788,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Huh. That's interesting. I've been using a Maytag Neptune for seventeen years, as I posted earlier. I've never had that problem. When I washed a queen size quilt yesterday, it came out clean and wet throughout. The dryer is still going strong, too, although I line dry about 50% of the time...one of the benefits of living in the very dry environment of Colorado.
The only time I've heard of dry spots in laundry is from a very overstuffed washer.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:18 AM

97 posts, read 79,735 times
Front loaders tend to use less water and energy, are gentler on clothes, and take longer to finish.

Conventional top loader, that is those with tall agitators in the center, can be the most reliable (Whirlpool-made direct drive with mechanical controls, like a Roper) but also use the most water.

Top loaders with the very small agitator at the bottom that looks like a juicer and rides on a swash plate vary in quality and washing ability.

Washers made by LG and Whirlpool are probably the most reliable and are sold under several brand names. Try to avoid anything made by Haier or Samsung. Parts tend to be the most widely available and cheapest for Whirlpool and Frigidaire. Consumer Reports evaluates washers and dryers annually but rarely lists anything below $600-700.

Consumer Reports magazine is often available free through local libraries' EBSCO MasterFile, but many libraries now also provide free access to all of ConsumerReports.org.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:52 AM

8,166 posts, read 3,671,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
I prefer the ones with NO agitator. They say the agitator gets clothes cleaner. I really don't care. The machine sounds like it's suffering when the weight isn't distributed evenly.
Your right, agitators wear your clothes or damage them prematurely.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:07 AM

4,711 posts, read 11,040,963 times
I have a 1989 Maytag A284 that I purchased new.

Foreseeing that one day parts would be unavailable, I set out to acquire at least one of every wear part in it....motors, switches, relays, timers, belts, transmission, pumps...everything.

Every year or so, I disassemble it for cleaning and inspection. I even wax the painted parts. The thing looks like new. I know, I'm crazy!

I don't give a hoot how much water or current it uses. I'm in my sixties and I don't plan on ever replacing it with a modern POS.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:10 PM

15,240 posts, read 20,189,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
...Personally, I prefer top loaders for a number of reasons, including that I can open it after it starts.

I have an LG front loader (will never have another LG anything) and I can open the door anytime after it starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products