U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 02:17 PM

15,240 posts, read 20,189,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
...also the front loader take two hours per load...

A front-loader (or any washer) takes two hours only if you use too much laundry soap. then the machine takes longer because it keeps cycling to get rid of the soap residue.

My LG front-loader has an option for "short wash". When I use that option, the load takes 30 minutes to get done. I presume other brands have similar options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 06:13 PM

22,520 posts, read 11,538,617 times
Top loader does a better job cleaning the clothes.. front loader can get smelly.. They had the front loaders years ago in the 1950's and they were replaced with a top loader.. now the trendy thing is front loaders.. they should go back to the better top loaders.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:54 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,930,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
A front-loader (or any washer) takes two hours only if you use too much laundry soap. then the machine takes longer because it keeps cycling to get rid of the soap residue.

My LG front-loader has an option for "short wash". When I use that option, the load takes 30 minutes to get done. I presume other brands have similar options.

My front loader had that option too but every time tried to use it I get an error message. I am so glad I sold that set! Mine took at least an hour to wash a load and I know I didn't use too much soap.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:56 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,930,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Top loader does a better job cleaning the clothes.. front loader can get smelly.. They had the front loaders years ago in the 1950's and they were replaced with a top loader.. now the trendy thing is front loaders.. they should go back to the better top loaders.

Sold my front loader and dryer in Feb., bought a brand new set of Kenmore, top loader and dryer, and am very happy with them.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:36 PM

9,581 posts, read 17,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I have a 1989 Maytag A284 that I purchased new.
I bought my Maytag (top load) washer and dryer in 1991. We wash everything in that machine, from athletic shoes to thick king size bed covers, down pillows, silk blouses and winter coats. It just keeps on working (never had to call the lonely Maytag repairman yet for the washer or dryer). That's 25 years! Our Maytag dishwasher is 21 years old, also never seen a repairman.

Before our current Maytag washer and dryer my ex-wife and I had a set about like the current one. They were 15 years old when we split and neither had ever had a problem. I'm a Maytag fan.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:36 PM

39,907 posts, read 57,741,604 times
Front washers in the US have still many problems. I guess, they didn't master it yet.
This you need to know:
http://www.washersettlement.com/pdf/...her_Models.pdf
Frequently Asked Questions
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:03 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,744,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick
I prefer a front loader.
Many people do not.
My mom and dad got a front loader years ago..... It does not seem as good as a traditional washer (top loader) ...... I guess I prefer them more

Old 07-16-2016, 05:38 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,232,268 times
I have a HE Toploader purchased about 15 years ago- I have been told that the HE TL being sold today are way different and not as good as they were....that a front loader is really the way to go.
All of us who have the good Toploaders may be assuming if we get another one it will be like the one we had------- not necessarily so from what I hear. Food for thought.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:26 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 1 day ago)

15,522 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
My mom and dad got a front loader years ago..... It does not seem as good as a traditional washer (top loader) ...... I guess I prefer them more
Agreed. I greatly prefer having an agitator arm, the ability to open the door midcycle, and the reduced chances of the washer flooding my house from a leaky seal. Additionally, front loaders tend to retain that damp smell more than top loaders. I wouldn't buy a front loader.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:01 AM

447 posts, read 480,434 times
i worry about the reliability and complexity of these new machines especially the front loaders that said i bought a washer and dryer from samsung per the wifes desires haha. we went to sears and rc willey bought slighly used and dented and saved 50% so that alone is huge. warranty is pretty long on certain parts the machines are quite nice i must say lots of features you just gotta learn them. i have also owned for 5 years now a ge washer top loader that has also been a nice unit so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products