U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 AM

181 posts, read 222,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I'm on the other side---I do customer service work, from a home based office. People who can barely speak English call expecting me to solve their problems when I can't even begin to understand them

Look, they're now in America, why should I have to compensate for them? Per company SOW---standards of work--I cannot hang up, or tell them I can't understand them. We are also timed on our calls, and when you spend 20 min+ trying to get their name out of them Then, they refuse to answer your questions, they demand you to answer their questions first! Look, I'm on an automated system, and I don't have a choice in the matter. I can't turn the page until all the fields are filled in.. Try listening to some p'od customer babble in who knows what language while you keep asking over and over for their zip code. BTW the zip code is important to see what offers, etc are available in their area. Instead, they take an attitude and get uppity. They never realize THEY are the ones who came to MY country its up to them to learn to speak English, not just scream mish mash at me.

I've learned to handle these---ask 3x for their zip code, then say, in my nicest voice, I'm sorry but I can't process your call without a valid zip code. Please call back when you've determined your zip code. Then, HANG UP before they start talking again!

And no, I don't espeak espanish! I'll have the same person call me back 3-4X, listen to my introduction spiel, and say nothing, even though you know there's someone on the line. Then, they will say "someone espeak espanish" Like they just think they can call a number and someone will start speaking in the language of their choice! Look, this is America! I get paid $8--$10/hour, I'm not a linguist!
OMG, that's TERRIBLE. I'm sorry to hear you have to go thru that ****.

I take it you won't tell us what company you are working for, or is it random?

So instead of pressing #2 for Spanish they press #1?

In Canada I would be FURIOUS whenever I called up restaurants (usually Chinese) to order & they couldn't speak a WORD of English. How can they allow people to open companies & serve the public when they can't speak the language.

Same when I'd walk into a Persian market & the girl serving food behind the counter couldn't answer simple questions & when I got angry a Persian customer yelled at me as if I was the problem.

I figured out very quickly that they bring in foreigners to the country & NEVER require them to learn the language before giving them citizenship.

Then an Iranian told me one day back in around 2010 that they were now requiring you to take an English test that you had to pass in order to get your citizenship. FINALLY!

I'm not sure the US has that requirement.

I never used to be racist before. I used to love learning all about different ethnicities, but then when I started to become the minority & I couldn't understand them & I realized that people who had been living there for 25 years didn't speak or even understand a WORD of English, I started to get pissed.

Not just that, but b/c we have a high level of service or quality (of course that has all gone to **** b/c all of the items are now imported from China), we have certain expectations. When foreigners come & do renovation work, or pretty much ANY service, they are idiots & don't know what they are doing.

They screw everything up from the heating to the ducts to the roofing & no one gives a ****, b/c the landlord just wants to save money & hire people from his own country or people who he knows are cheap labor.

And it's not just construction type work.

I get that when they first move here they aren't going to understand English, but 25 years??? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Even if you were making $20/hr. you wouldn't want to have to put up with that ****.

They should make it so you can just transfer them to another CSR who speaks that language. I'm assuming they are mainly Latinos or you just don't know?

I have heard enough Spanish to know whether they are speaking Spanish, but there aren't just Latinos anymore, they are from all over the world.

I called up the IRS the other day & I couldn't even understand her b/c of her thick accent (I have noticed that the gov't hires mainly new immigrants) & she called me sir a couple of times LOL

I don't care about the "sir" part as that's the least of my issues, but when I couldn't even understand her, THEN it's a problem.

In the end she wasn't able to help me at all & I had to get someone else not IRS related to help me.

I had the same issue when I called INS. Every single one of them in the Level 2 area were foreigners. They had terrible attitudes, were VERY rude & half the time couldn't understand me. First level were all Americans, that I knew.

Back in the 1800's & early 1900's, people who came to both countries LEARNED ENGLISH. There was no way they could survive if they didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 01:04 PM

7,971 posts, read 9,375,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
For me it's not about the accent, it's about their lack of intelligence & common sense.
Agreed!

Old 04-24-2016, 08:57 PM

3,791 posts, read 3,631,713 times
Quote:

In Canada I would be FURIOUS whenever I called up restaurants (usually Chinese) to order & they couldn't speak a WORD of English. How can they allow people to open companies & serve the public when they can't speak the language.

Same when I'd walk into a Persian market & the girl serving food behind the counter couldn't answer simple questions & when I got angry a Persian customer yelled at me as if I was the problem.

I figured out very quickly that they bring in foreigners to the country & NEVER require them to learn the language before giving them citizenship.

Then an Iranian told me one day back in around 2010 that they were now requiring you to take an English test that you had to pass in order to get your citizenship. FINALLY!

I never used to be racist before. I used to love learning all about different ethnicities, but then when I started to become the minority & I couldn't understand them & I realized that people who had been living there for 25 years didn't speak or even understand a WORD of English, I started to get pissed.

Not just that, but b/c we have a high level of service or quality (of course that has all gone to **** b/c all of the items are now imported from China), we have certain expectations. When foreigners come & do renovation work, or pretty much ANY service, they are idiots & don't know what they are doing.

They screw everything up from the heating to the ducts to the roofing & no one gives a ****, b/c the landlord just wants to save money & hire people from his own country or people who he knows are cheap labor.

I get that when they first move here they aren't going to understand English, but 25 years??? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Even if you were making $20/hr. you wouldn't want to have to put up with that ****.

They should make it so you can just transfer them to another CSR who speaks that language. I'm assuming they are mainly Latinos or you just don't know?

I have heard enough Spanish to know whether they are speaking Spanish, but there aren't just Latinos anymore, they are from all over the world.

I called up the IRS the other day & I couldn't even understand her b/c of her thick accent (I have noticed that the gov't hires mainly new immigrants) & she called me sir a couple of times LOL

I don't care about the "sir" part as that's the least of my issues, but when I couldn't even understand her, THEN it's a problem.

In the end she wasn't able to help me at all & I had to get someone else not IRS related to help me.

I had the same issue when I called INS. Every single one of them in the Level 2 area were foreigners. They had terrible attitudes, were VERY rude & half the time couldn't understand me. First level were all Americans, that I knew.

Back in the 1800's & early 1900's, people who came to both countries LEARNED ENGLISH. There was no way they could survive if they didn't.
For American Citizenship test, ability to read, speak & understand English is tested at Citizenship Test. Both English and Civics is tested.

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship...alization-test

we should also understand that English is spoken in variety of accents around the world. if any American visits Belfast or Glasgow, he may find it difficult to understand each and every word what the natives are speaking there-even if that is English.

This is how people in Belfast speak English. I dont think every American will understand what Paddy Barnes is speaking here.

https://youtu.be/rLgQV4ltIco

Old 04-24-2016, 09:20 PM

9,814 posts, read 16,238,614 times
Quote:

Usually most callers, English speaking or not, don't listen to the menu. They just press 1, or 0, or don't press anything, then it rolls over to the next available agent, who might not always be the one to handle their situation. They figure just get anybody, then we can transfer them. Perhaps, but not if I can't understand them! Many of our callers are responding to a TV commercial, so, how did they even understand the commercial? I guess they just watch the video, then call the number, then think whoever answers speaks whatever language they speak.

BTW, I do speak some Spanish, but not enough to decipher what they're babbling about to determine an appropriate transfer.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
For American Citizenship test, ability to read, speak & understand English is tested at Citizenship Test. Both English and Civics is tested.

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship...alization-test

we should also understand that English is spoken in variety of accents around the world. if any American visits Belfast or Glasgow, he may find it difficult to understand each and every word what the natives are speaking there-even if that is English.

This is how people in Belfast speak English. I dont think every American will understand what Paddy Barnes is speaking here.

https://youtu.be/rLgQV4ltIco
I wasn't talking about accents & yes I know it's hard for me to understand really deep English or Irish & sometimes Aussie accents, but at least they speak the English language. Not sure what this has to do with immigrants that become citizens who don't speak or understand the English language.

I guess the next question is, when did they start giving out this test, what level of English is required in order to pass (are we talking 1st or 2nd grade English here?) because I am pretty sure that most new immigrants do NOT know English well enough to communicate. And I'm NOT expecting University level English, just basic high school level.

The civics part doesn't concern me as much. Most Americans don't know the answers to most of those questions.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about accents & yes I know it's hard for me to understand really deep English or Irish & sometimes Aussie accents, but at least they speak the English language. Not sure what this has to do with immigrants that become citizens who don't speak or understand the English language.

I guess the next question is, when did they start giving out this test, what level of English is required in order to pass (are we talking 1st or 2nd grade English here?) because I am pretty sure that most new immigrants do NOT know English well enough to communicate. And I'm NOT expecting University level English, just basic high school level.

The civics part doesn't concern me as much. Most Americans don't know the answers to most of those questions.
English Test was always there. USCIS official determines the basic ability to read, write, speak and understand English before passing English Test for Citizenship.

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/le...s-english-test

I gave you example of Belfast Accent because sometimes people fail to understand Foreigner just because of their accents. Then they think that they do not know English. I am sure that many Americans will fail to understand basic conversation in Belfast. Then if somebody tell them that you dont know English, that will be wrong.

English and Civics test were always there. There was a time when Judge in Court used to ask oral questions but that was like 70-80 years ago. Most immigrants who are alive must have passed English in their Citizenship Test. One more thing, if a person dont understand English, how can he read and answer Civics Questions?

Old 04-25-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
English Test was always there. USCIS official determines the basic ability to read, write, speak and understand English before passing English Test for Citizenship.

I gave you example of Belfast Accent because sometimes people fail to understand Foreigner just because of their accents. Then they think that they do not know English. I am sure that many Americans will fail to understand basic conversation in Belfast. Then if somebody tell them that you dont know English, that will be wrong.

English and Civics test were always there. There was a time when Judge in Court used to ask oral questions but that was like 70-80 years ago. Most immigrants who are alive must have passed English in their Citizenship Test. One more thing, if a person dont understand English, how can he read and answer Civics Questions?
Again, this has nothing to do with accents or them not knowing the odd word here or there. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to get by in Belfast & I doubt very much I'd be told I don't know how to speak English.

So I'll chalk it up to the fact that you can teach someone a language, but if they don't have the brains or understand the meaning behind the words, it won't matter.

Or they are somehow managing to pass the test without really being able to read, write & understand the language.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Usually most callers, English speaking or not, don't listen to the menu. They just press 1, or 0, or don't press anything, then it rolls over to the next available agent, who might not always be the one to handle their situation. They figure just get anybody, then we can transfer them. Perhaps, but not if I can't understand them! Many of our callers are responding to a TV commercial, so, how did they even understand the commercial? I guess they just watch the video, then call the number, then think whoever answers speaks whatever language they speak.

BTW, I do speak some Spanish, but not enough to decipher what they're babbling about to determine an appropriate transfer.
Sounds like your only option is to get another job where there are no commercials involved LOL

But according to the other poster above, they have ALL passed the English exam with flying colors.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Again, this has nothing to do with accents or them not knowing the odd word here or there. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to get by in Belfast & I doubt very much I'd be told I don't know how to speak English.

So I'll chalk it up to the fact that you can teach someone a language, but if they don't have the brains or understand the meaning behind the words, it won't matter.

Or they are somehow managing to pass the test without really being able to read, write & understand the language.
US Citizenship and Immigration Services conduct exam for Civics and English. The syllabus and questions are given here.

I dont think that USCIS is that stupid that they will let somebody pass the test without really being able to read, write & understand the language. This is the main purpose of the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or