U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 05:18 AM

6,231 posts, read 5,512,055 times

Advertisements

Anyone else find this irritating? For some reason I have a big difficulty understanding heavy foreign accents through the phone. Today I called FedEx customer service for a inquiry, and the customer service agent had a very heavy Indian accent in which I had no choice but to hang up because I simply could not understand a word he was saying. I suppose there is a way to contact someone state side but I have never attempted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:29 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,430,824 times
Even worse is when that heavily accented Indian female says her name is "Tiffany".... happened to me last week.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 PM

181 posts, read 222,161 times
For me it's not about the accent, it's about their lack of intelligence & common sense.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:53 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Whomever Fedex outsourced their call center to had to be the extreme low bidder. Depending on the time of day (or timezone) it's either accent, ability to talk louder, attitude or lack of ability to not follow the standard script. First DHL went to hell and you pray that your package is not shipped by them as they are now the worst. And now Fedex is nearly as bad as I think their entire US distribution system has been insourced to third party companies. Almost every week there is a day when Fedex is a no show even though the tracker states "out for delivery" and on those days a little after 6p EST a BS message shows up cancelling the delivery and moving it to the next business day (distribution centers close at 6p).

Old 04-11-2016, 06:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,852 posts, read 56,232,507 times
I avoid calling any customer service number. When possible, I'll use the online chat. They are not any smarter, and only read sentences from a script, but at least you can read it rather than have to decipher a heavy accent. If they don't have that, I'll go in. Fedex has a shipping location just 5 miles away.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:47 AM

38,009 posts, read 46,820,052 times
FYI, if youre buying office equipment, Canon uses American customer service people.
I have nothing against Indian people getting good jobs in call centers, but I have a hard enough time hearing on the phone, without struggling with an accent too. Same with the companies who use customer service with strong hispanic accents. Too hard to understand, so Ill avoid that company.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 AM

36,770 posts, read 11,099,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Even worse is when that heavily accented Indian female says her name is "Tiffany".... happened to me last week.

Lol!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:05 PM

1,683 posts, read 686,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It's better than being told you're speaking with someone with a name you cannot pronounce (or even hear clearly).

Old 04-14-2016, 02:25 AM

6,231 posts, read 5,512,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I avoid calling any customer service number. When possible, I'll use the online chat. They are not any smarter, and only read sentences from a script, but at least you can read it rather than have to decipher a heavy accent. If they don't have that, I'll go in. Fedex has a shipping location just 5 miles away.

Yes, I was googling around and FedEx has a Facebook/Twitter "US social media support team". Not only was I able to get a few questions answered, I was even able to get a word out to the local courier to get a package delivered to a business address that was about to close in 10 minutes, averting another delayed delivery.

I have also had some good experience using other companies social media support. Of course it's not as fast as a phone call, but at least you seem to get to someone state side rather than in Asia. And being that it's text you can advert any misunderstanding from heavy accents and the relatively low quality audio of phone calls.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:58 AM

9,814 posts, read 16,235,086 times
I'm on the other side---I do customer service work, from a home based office. People who can barely speak English call expecting me to solve their problems when I can't even begin to understand them

Look, they're now in America, why should I have to compensate for them? Per company SOW---standards of work--I cannot hang up, or tell them I can't understand them. We are also timed on our calls, and when you spend 20 min+ trying to get their name out of them Then, they refuse to answer your questions, they demand you to answer their questions first! Look, I'm on an automated system, and I don't have a choice in the matter. I can't turn the page until all the fields are filled in.. Try listening to some p'od customer babble in who knows what language while you keep asking over and over for their zip code. BTW the zip code is important to see what offers, etc are available in their area. Instead, they take an attitude and get uppity. They never realize THEY are the ones who came to MY country its up to them to learn to speak English, not just scream mish mash at me.

I've learned to handle these---ask 3x for their zip code, then say, in my nicest voice, I'm sorry but I can't process your call without a valid zip code. Please call back when you've determined your zip code. Then, HANG UP before they start talking again!

And no, I don't espeak espanish! I'll have the same person call me back 3-4X, listen to my introduction spiel, and say nothing, even though you know there's someone on the line. Then, they will say "someone espeak espanish" Like they just think they can call a number and someone will start speaking in the language of their choice! Look, this is America! I get paid $8--$10/hour, I'm not a linguist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or