U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 06:40 AM

14,686 posts, read 8,472,440 times

Advertisements

Amazon has just started offering a monthly rate for its Prime subscription service, as well as offering the Prime Video service as a standalone. The Prime Monthly is $10.99/month and the video only (ostensibly to function more as a Netflix competitor) is $8.99/month. Although it's more expensive over the whole year than an annual Prime subscription, the monthly rate is an alternative for those who can't or don't want to pay the entire $99 of an annual membership at once.

Amazon rolls out monthly subscriptions for Prime and Prime Video | Android Central
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 11:11 AM

12,548 posts, read 7,520,870 times
I don't see the point in paying more for a limited service. For $99 I get free 2-day shipping, prime video, prime music, prime photos, Kindle lending library, Prime early access and 3 free books from Audible. Or for $9 more a year I can just have prime video?

I can see Prime monthly being useful, as it would be more for people who don't want Prime year round. Its more about the convenience of having 2 day shipping during the Holidays, or during a month or two period when you know you'll be ordering a lot from Amazon. Or for college students to order and receive their textbooks quickly if they've already used up their 6 months of free Prime. Because even if you order $49 worth of merchandise ($25 for books), its still going to take 5+ business days.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:44 AM

14,686 posts, read 8,472,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't see the point in paying more for a limited service. For $99 I get free 2-day shipping, prime video, prime music, prime photos, Kindle lending library, Prime early access and 3 free books from Audible. Or for $9 more a year I can just have prime video?

I can see Prime monthly being useful, as it would be more for people who don't want Prime year round. Its more about the convenience of having 2 day shipping during the Holidays, or during a month or two period when you know you'll be ordering a lot from Amazon. Or for college students to order and receive their textbooks quickly if they've already used up their 6 months of free Prime. Because even if you order $49 worth of merchandise ($25 for books), its still going to take 5+ business days.
I have heard a few different points of view on Amazon's strategy for offering two more plan options. The video streaming only subscription service is being offered now to compete more directly against Netflix. However, it fails miserably at that IMO because Amazon has the nasty habit of offering only the first few episodes of the first season of a TV show with Prime membership, then charging for succeeding episodes. I also heard they have added advertisements in some of their video content. Also, by offering the video only streaming service at a high price relative to the annual Prime membership, Amazon can try to convince people to buy Prime by arguing that full Prime members pay the same and get all the benefits, so why not just get the whole thing?

And the monthly complete Prime plan is an option for those who can't afford the annual membership fee or those who want to try it on a trial basis. The fact that it costs so much more to pay for Prime monthly has led some to speculate that Amazon may increase the cost of the annual Prime membership soon.

As an aside, it seems to me that Amazon is aggressively pushing Prime onto customers. They're much worse about it than a couple of years ago; their tactics (BUY PRIME! BUY PRIME! YOU WANT PRIME, DON'T YOU???!!!) remind me of nagware I was getting from Microsoft pushing me to upgrade to Windows 10. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I have scaled back my Amazon shopping to a trickle. I feel like I'm not valued as a customer because I don't want Prime and won't buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or