Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 AM

29,503 posts, read 22,605,081 times

Advertisements

I guess this concept has been out for a while, but never noticed until today when I looked more closely at the Amazon dash button section.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=ods_gw_...f_rd_i=desktop

It's actually an ingenious way of restocking low running supplies. It's this small wi-fi enabled device that's associated with a certain brand of product. You can stick the device anywhere but preferably near where you normally stock the items (like toilet paper in the bathroom). Once the device is connected to your home wi-fi system, it's ready to go.

So if you notice that you're running low on toilet paper, you just push the button and it instantly sends an order of toilet paper to be delivered. And there's buttons for many categories of products like drinks, detergent, etc.

Kind of a neat idea, reminds me of a what they call a "kanban" system that some companies use to restock low running supplies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 05:42 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,006,198 times
Its a cool device but it doesn't instantly send the order. What it does is have an email from Amazon send an email to you where you then have to confirm that you want to order the product.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:45 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,945,916 times
The laziness of shoppers has reached a whole new level. Not only can they not be bothered to shop at the grocery store, they won't comparison shop on other sites (which is sometimes understandable), or even bother hitting the Make a Purchase button on the Amazon website, now they have to buy a special button just for one item so they can reorder it, then buy another button for another item, lather rinse repeat

Old 07-19-2016, 05:00 PM

29,503 posts, read 22,605,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Its a cool device but it doesn't instantly send the order. What it does is have an email from Amazon send an email to you where you then have to confirm that you want to order the product.
Actually, I went back and re-read the guide, and it seems like it does indeed instantly send the order.

What happens is, when you press the button, it automatically sends the order to Amazon. At the same time, you'll get a confirmation e-mail of the order (in case you change your mind later, but this is nothing new in terms of Amazon orders). But yes, it automatically sends the order for fulfillment.

But Amazon also thought ahead and you can't push order the same product until your previous order is shipped (to prevent accidental orders). But, you can also override this if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The laziness of shoppers has reached a whole new level. Not only can they not be bothered to shop at the grocery store, they won't comparison shop on other sites (which is sometimes understandable), or even bother hitting the Make a Purchase button on the Amazon website, now they have to buy a special button just for one item so they can reorder it, then buy another button for another item, lather rinse repeat
It's good lazy though, trust me

Old 07-19-2016, 11:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,003,852 times
Quote:
I buy my dog's food on Amazon. Its cheapest on there, and yes I do comparison shop. I don't really feel like I'm being lazy by buying it on Amazon, its not like I don't go out to the stores to shop for other items. I would just rather buy it from whoever sells it cheapest. When I notice that he is low on food, I don't drop everything and rush straight to the computer to buy more, so I might end up forgetting to order more for a few days. But by being able to just push a button, I can press it as I'm putting the scoop back into the dog food bag and go about my business as usual. In two days FedEx will bring it up to my door, and the dog isn't going to run out of food.

And although you do buy the buttons for $4.99, the money comes off of your first order.

I don't really see the point of Dash buttons for grocery items. I need to go to the grocery store anyway for other items, so I might as well just buy all my groceries together. But for items were I have to make a special trip to a different store, why not? Especially items like laundry detergent, toilet paper, dog food, etc... that I'm only buying every few months.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:14 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,406,940 times
I havent used the Dash option so my post may not be that relative. But I've found that I ned to check the price when I re-order anything from Amazon. Quite often the merchandise has a new supplier and the price is increased -- and not by just a small amount -- on the same product page that I used previously. Then I have to search through Amazon for the same product to find a cheaper price. I wonder if Dash allows you to see the price from your previous order vs the current price.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:20 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,615,120 times
Quote:
Hey, I live in Phoenix, its frickin 117 degrees outside, inside my car, its 160! Do you think i want to get in my car and drive 4 miles to the nearest store to get TP? He ll no!

Old 09-15-2016, 10:34 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,945,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I buy my dog's food on Amazon. Its cheapest on there, and yes I do comparison shop. I don't really feel like I'm being lazy by buying it on Amazon, its not like I don't go out to the stores to shop for other items. I would just rather buy it from whoever sells it cheapest.
Are you sure? I buy my dog food on Chewy.com, and it is far cheaper than Amazon. I have comparison priced several times, and Amazon is several dollars more expensive on each of my dog food bags every time I've looked. And Chewy gives you free shipping on orders of $49 or more, no membership required. With two Great Danes, everything is expensive, so I try to save every dollar I can. Plus when the UPS guy comes, the dogs think it's Christmastime

Old 09-15-2016, 10:40 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,406,940 times
For years I bought all my dogs' foods on Amazon but I switched to chewy.com a few months ago.

The prices are better, the shipping is almost as fast and chewy.com uses UPS or FedEx, whereas Amazon has switched to USPS or its own delivery drivers almost exclusively, neither of which is as reliable as UPS or FedEx.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,003,852 times
Quote:
Are you sure? I buy my dog food on Chewy.com, and it is far cheaper than Amazon. I have comparison priced several times, and Amazon is several dollars more expensive on each of my dog food bags every time I've looked. And Chewy gives you free shipping on orders of $49 or more, no membership required. With two Great Danes, everything is expensive, so I try to save every dollar I can. Plus when the UPS guy comes, the dogs think it's Christmastime
I did buy his last bag of dog food from Chewy. I got a coupon in the mail for $15 off a purchase. The day I ordered his food, there was a deal where if you did the subscribe and save you got an extra 20% off the already 5% discount... so I ended up getting his food for half price. But he is a 7 lb dachshund, so I did buy a lot more then I would normally buy to get the free shipping. I have Amazon Prime, so I'm able to get free 2 day shipping on any amount without having to figure out where to store 8 months worth of food.

I know that people like to think that those who shop on Amazon and have Prime don't comparison shop, but as I said in my other post, I do comparison shop. When my dog's food is starting to run low I check to see how much it is at Petco, Petsmart, Whole Foods, Amazon, Chewy... all the places that carry his food. Whole Foods used to be the cheapest, but the last few times I've bought it Amazon has been the cheapest. I buy it from wherever has the best price, and if that happens to be Amazon, then that is who I'm going to buy it from. Sometimes Petco has a great sale, especially since I can also use a manufacturer coupon, and so I will buy his food from there. It just depends on when his food is low.

And just out of curiosity, I did look his food up. It is the exact same price on Amazon and Chewy for the subscribe and save. Except Amazon also has a coupon for 10% off, so it is a few dollars cheaper on Amazon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products