Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:47 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Perhaps not with these sorts of products, but it's not uncommon for manufacturers to make somewhat stripped versions of products strictly for big box stores that appear identical to their full-feature cousins. I'm read about more often with small appliances and power tools for Home Depot etc.

I don't believe for a minute that a standardized product like Mobil 1 oil would be dumbed down under the same label and snuck into WalMart. Nope.
When doing some comparison shopping on a tv I found that the model number on the Samsung tv we were ready to purchase wasn't available at Walmart. We opted to drive 2 1/2 hours to a Best Buy store to purchase the TV we had researched.

This is why I always compare item/model numbers when doing comparison shopping on electronic items. There are differences on some of the things that Walmart stocks in comparison to other merchants.

If the item is something that I would normally replace is a relatively short period of time I often go with the lower priced item. If it's something I want to use for a longer period of time I will evaluate the quality of the item verses the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:59 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Of course not...because this was a show that was recently on TV and is currently available on Netflix - all 7 seasons! It has a 90% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes!

It has also won or been nominated for many Golden Globes, Emmys, and other awards.

Much, much better than questionable movies...You should watch it. It's funny, and it has 2 Tammys!
What's your point?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:14 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yes. That is what some posters are contending. It's a Walmart conspiracy. A box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal sold at Walmart rather than Kroger is not really Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but another artificially flavored, colored, yet inferior quality Cinnamon Toast Crunch lookalike packaged in an identical box
Well, I live on planet Earth, and on my planet you can compare word for word on both boxes of cereal and they are identical. Same as with other brand name products sold at comparable stores.

Some people erroneously believe they can hold their head higher if they pay more for a product at a store other than Wal-Mart.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:16 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
When doing some comparison shopping on a tv I found that the model number on the Samsung tv we were ready to purchase wasn't available at Walmart. We opted to drive 2 1/2 hours to a Best Buy store to purchase the TV we had researched.

This is why I always compare item/model numbers when doing comparison shopping on electronic items. There are differences on some of the things that Walmart stocks in comparison to other merchants.

If the item is something that I would normally replace is a relatively short period of time I often go with the lower priced item. If it's something I want to use for a longer period of time I will evaluate the quality of the item verses the price.
And you can purchase the same brand name mattress at ten different stores and at each store it will be labeled differently.

Your assumption proves nothing.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:26 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
And you can purchase the same brand name mattress at ten different stores and at each store it will be labeled differently.

Your assumption proves nothing.
This isn't the first nor will it be the last time someone accuses me of being wrong. I'll still do my research my way.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
I believe the vast majority of people who claim they never shop at Walmart are lying. A person who denies he/she is a Walmart customer is the shopping version of claiming he/she doesn't masturbate.
Well I don't, but there aren't any near me. Of course, I'm glad the communities have kept these out of the area.

But I masturbate.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I mostly keep it in my head - but NOTHING will induce me to shop at Walmart,
So you buy the same thing or similar to it elsewhere? If you are trying to avoid Chinese, there is no escape. If you are bringing politics into it, wasn't Walmart one of the early advocates of $15 min wage as well as Obamacare? What do you want from Walmart?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I try to buy cheap. I do Walmart for shirts, boxers, DVDs, Blu-Rays and even fragrance. I do Amazon for DVDs, Blu-rays and fragrance (though not so much from September on when Prime Student ends for me.) Hot Topic I buy from when they have sales or I have Hot Cash. Sears I shop for clothing and fragrance. Winco I buy if it's competitive. I even use Dollar Tree for things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
We have used Amazon Prime for several years and have saved hundreds of dollars in shipping costs.

Now Walmart has a "Shipping Pass" for $49 a year.

We have had it for a couple of months and love it.

On-line ordering from Walmart has many more selections than in the stores.
We have already saved probably $100 in gas and 100 miles of wear and tear on our bodies.
I had student Prime last year for the same price. I'm ending that in September. I might just do shipping pass then. That or ship to the store.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:25 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Of course not...because this was a show that was recently on TV and is currently available on Netflix - all 7 seasons! It has a 90% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes!

It has also won or been nominated for many Golden Globes, Emmys, and other awards.

Much, much better than questionable movies...You should watch it. It's funny, and it has 2 Tammys!

All right, I've put the first season, 6 episodes, on the buy list; we'll see how it goes.

There are at least two things about Wally World for me.

First of all, it's the only store around here where I can buy the big box of freeze dried milk. Sure, HEB carries that, too, but only in a small box. Since freeze dried is my source of milk, it's not really to my advantage to have to buy the small box.

The second is there is no Skaggs-Albertsons in this region so Wally World is the only alternative to day old bread. When I am supplying a camp out, that stuff is really a budget saver. It's very easy to make out as a bandit there.

As someone asked me when I showed up like that, "What did you do? Knock over Mrs. Baird?".

Old 07-28-2016, 01:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Yes. That is what some posters are contending. It's a Walmart conspiracy. A box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal sold at Walmart rather than Kroger is not really Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but another artificially flavored, colored, yet inferior quality Cinnamon Toast Crunch lookalike packaged in an identical box
I have a low JND (Just Noticable Difference) I have several clones of fragrances. One of such is a clone of Paco Rabanne Invictus (Victory Squadron) that I got in the Dollar Tree. I smelt Invictus and what do you know, it smells almost exactly like it and lasts as long as Invictus should. On the other hand, a clone of Paco Rabanne One Million (Prime Gold) I used didn't nearly last as long as the real should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products