Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,704 times

Advertisements

if you have lots of disposable income, shop elsewhere if you want to. working people shop at walmart because you buy quality products for less and one stop shopping means a lot less wasted time.

Last edited by mountainpacker; 12-26-2007 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: typing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 12:26 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
You get what you pay for. Walmart here sucks. They FINALLY installed self checkouts at the one near me (which is a relativly new super center). I went there a couple weeks ago and stepped ahead between the first two and the second two kiosks as both of the people in front of me were picking up their groceries after thay had paid. The ***** working TOLD me to stand back behind the other two registers. I was like "why? those people are leaving." She told me it was to prevent clutter. There is 8 foot of space between those kiosks and every other register and aisle in walmaert is clutter galore. The stores are noisy, the parking lots are a mess, and the employees are rude because walmart treats them like crap.

They may have the cheapest things, but buy a t-shirt from www.allamericanclothing.com and then compare it to the one that cost 2 cents to make in guatemela or honduras but you paid an 800 times markup for it at walmart. I did and I guarantee you that American made one is 1000x better quality. Walmart carries junk and they don't always have the cheapest prices. You can compare prices at so many places now and use sites like ebates.com, www.spoofee.com, www.passwird.com, www.retailmenot.com (broken link) to almost always get better prices than walmart.

Also, you are not getting the cheapest things at Walmart as you are still paying through your tax dollars for the health insurance of their hourly employees. That's right, Walmart pays their employees just enough to not be eligible for health insurance and encourages them to get Medicaid. Walmart also has a little known unwritten policy of hiring women "who look like they will clean toilets, etc)." Of the thousands of women I have seen working at Walmart, I can think of only one that was moderately attractive and did not fit this description.

I will shop at Super Target over Walmart any day.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:28 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree View Post
Same here,I haven't noticed the parking lots looking any different than other store parking lots,and it seems bright and clean and if you go after 12 pm they are doing their floor scrubbing.I find most things cheaper at walmart as well,and they will price match. Target has some things more expensive just like walmart does on some things but overall,I feel walmart saves me more.
Not at the ones near me. They all START like that, then quickly go downhill.

Regarding price, unfortunately, this is the way Americans think now with regards to prices and why we have lead in toys coming from China. Companies say they use factories in China for cheaper labor, but have you ever noticed the price of a product to go DOWN after a company announces they do this? I haven't. It's more profit for the company and stakeholders.

Last edited by groove1; 12-27-2007 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-27-2007, 10:41 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
The problem is that Walmart goes into very small rural towns and runs the local businesses out because they can't compete. It's much easier when you're trying to shop with three small kids to go to one place and get it over with rather than lug the kids in and out five times at five different stores.
I'm no fan of Walmart, but I was talking to a man who lives in a small East Texas town that got a SuperWalmart. He said it was true the smaller mom and pop general stores and hardware shops went out of business. BUT the area around Walmart filled up the strip centers with new businesses. Mom and Pop owned nail salons, dry cleaners and restaurants.

Changed the business landscape but didn't eliminate it.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,316 times
Default walmart

I love walmart worked there for 5 years 10 years ago before current job.
I know lots of stuff is made over seas but come on do you want to buy stuff for a hundred dollars when its only 25 or so from overseas . I hear everyday that people would buy american but unfortunately we dont have it here to buy. i have been in retail 20 years and hear alot of people say if china stopped making clothes we would be naked well its true.
american made stuff is to expensive due to people needing higher wages here. it stinks but who is gonna bring their stuff back here to make and lower the cost.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:15 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpacker View Post
if you have lots of disposable income, shop elsewhere if you want to. working people shop at walmart because you buy quality products for less and one stop shopping means a lot less wasted time.
I'm a "working person," and I shop at mom-and-pop retailers, Target, and other NON-Wal-Mart stores because I'd rather spend a few dollars more and make cuts elsewhere instead of selling my SOUL by shopping at Wal-Mart!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I'm no fan of Walmart, but I was talking to a man who lives in a small East Texas town that got a SuperWalmart. He said it was true the smaller mom and pop general stores and hardware shops went out of business. BUT the area around Walmart filled up the strip centers with new businesses. Mom and Pop owned nail salons, dry cleaners and restaurants.

Changed the business landscape but didn't eliminate it.
So now destroying a traditional walkable urban center (i.e. that historic thing known as a DOWNTOWN) in favor of a faux suburban center with window-less big-box buildings designed around the automobile is preferable in the eyes of most Americans?

Old 12-08-2008, 05:06 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,441 times
Walmart does appear to be giving people what they want, otherwise they wouldn't be as popular as they are. Yes, it is nice to be able to go to 1 store and get many of the things you are looking for at a reasonable price.

My biggest objections to Walmart is all the chinese garbage they sell and the fact that they pay lousey wages with minimal benefits forcing the taxpayers to subsidize this business model. I don't like small businesses being forced out, but customers bear the responsibility for choosing Walmart over the small businesses - so it's not all Walmart's fault. I get the impression that most shoppers don't care if the small businesses go out of business - sad but true.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Shop there if you want; it's your money. As for me, I haven't darkened the door of a Walton family-owned business since the day I sat in a dock at one of their distribution centers for almost 12 (unpaid) hours. Falling prices have to be paid for somehow... Besides that, we try to spend as much money that will stay locally as we can; we support local businesses.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpacker View Post
Generally speaking, Wal-Mart doesn't equal quality. If you think that the clothing, home furnishings, hardware, etc. that Wal-Mart carries is "good quality" you need to get out more. It's absolute garbage.

I was in Wal-Mart last night to buy a gift card for a disabled single dad that I know who I help out at Christmas each year so he can get toys for his daughter for under the tree. Wal-Mart is the only place near his house that he can easily get to. It was the first time I've been in a Wal-Mart since I was in one for the same purpose last year.

I felt dirty and ashamed the minute I stepped foot into that fiasco. Stuff all over the floors, unsupervised kids running amok and into people with parents no where to be found, perishable food stuffed into the shelves between entertainment units that were falling apart. Now I remember why I don't shop there.

Last edited by annerk; 12-08-2008 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products