U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:30 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,812,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Also, in my local experiences, the Walmarts are clean, the parking lots are patrolled and clean.
Same here,I haven't noticed the parking lots looking any different than other store parking lots,and it seems bright and clean and if you go after 12 pm they are doing their floor scrubbing.I find most things cheaper at walmart as well,and they will price match. Target has some things more expensive just like walmart does on some things but overall,I feel walmart saves me more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 09:49 AM

129 posts, read 450,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Good points. But they still need to remember people can drive to a different town if Walmart is the only game in their town and do the shopping in that other town. Also Walmart has a low price guarantee and must match the competitors price. If a Walmart is selling food(superwalmart) they cant price higher than the local grocery stores.
Where I live it's alteast 90 minutes to another town, with anything other than walmart. In fact, my local walmart serves ppl from three different states and about 12 different counties. I can't tell you how many times, I've picked things up throughout the store and get up to the register only to discover the items I've picked were priced wrong, and what are we going to do about it? You can fight and argue, but you can't make them charge you something different. When I moved here, we actually had a local grocery store, and it was just a regular walmart (not a super center) and within two years of them converting to a super center, both mom and pop places have closed up.

I admit, if my kid wakes up in the middle of the night sick and needs something, I'm greatful Walmart is there, but I truly believe the bad really outweighs the good!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:05 AM

10,017 posts, read 17,153,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
If it is in a rural town and you have mostly elderly people they are not going to drive 100 miles to the nearest grocery store that is not a walmart.

Who told you they can't price food higher than the local grocery stores? They do it ALL the time. Try the price of milk. That is one of some stores in the walmart chain that they rape people over the coals with.
Not here, we live in Az where at Walmart the milk is 2.09 every where else we have been it is 2.89 or more. Alot of people dont understand when they say Walmart buys from china , so does kmart, target and most other cheaper stores. my mom has worked at Kmart for 32 years, they sell alot of the same stuff as walmart, so does target. i have 4 kids and cannot afford the food at other grocery stores, what we get in a month will cost us about 500.00 at Walmart, other stores about 850.00 sorry 350.00 savings to us is enough to shop there.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,701,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
Where I live it's alteast 90 minutes to another town, with anything other than walmart. In fact, my local walmart serves ppl from three different states and about 12 different counties. I can't tell you how many times, I've picked things up throughout the store and get up to the register only to discover the items I've picked were priced wrong, and what are we going to do about it? You can fight and argue, but you can't make them charge you something different. When I moved here, we actually had a local grocery store, and it was just a regular walmart (not a super center) and within two years of them converting to a super center, both mom and pop places have closed up.
That is a lot of areas that are not right by a large city. Look at a map at other states and see that not every state is like Florida, California, NJ, NY, etc. Look out at Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Texas, etc. So it is not like you can just jump in the car anytime and go to a store that is not walmart. It is really sad to drive thru the small towns now where a walmart has come in. The small downtown areas are shuttered, the local grocery store is gone, same w/ the hardware store. Pretty sad.

I've heard the complaint about the prices being higher at check out at walmart all the time. And your right, what are you going to do, you have already waited in a long, slow moving line. The checkers normally don't have the means to fix the price (some stores don't want them too because they know that the customer will usually just take it). You have to wait on a manager, price check, they have to change it in the register, etc. Meanwhile the person behind you is getting mad because you are taking longer because something rung up higher than it should have. So if you don't do anything about it and go ahead and even if it is only 10 cents more, think about it. For every item that they sell like that they are making that much more money. Why deal with someone that practices such unfair tactics knowingly on their customers? I don't treat my customers like that and I be dadgum if I let anyone do it to me. I'd rather pay more knowingly upfront than be screwed.

Yes, most stores buy stuff that was made in China, Tawain etc. But why support a business that practices VERY unfair trade w/ it's vendors. You know what, I'm not going to even go there, we have discussed this before and I got the comment that I was "rude" all because when I answered someones question about how they could save money I was being honest. If that is how some people are, then so be it. If your not willing to see what REALLY goes on then there is nothing that anyone can say on here or facts that someone can give you that is going to change your feebile mind. For those that think walmart is all that. It is yours, have at it.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 AM

944 posts, read 3,655,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Eventually Americans will get the point that buying from China doesn't help them. When that happens, Wal-Mart will tow the line or fall apart.
A couple of points here.

First, listen to, or read, the book The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman. It takes a LOT of work to grasp the global economy, how it works, what it means to buy things from China, etc. I have an econ degree, 6 years of teaching in a business school and many years of reading mags ranging from Mother Jones to The Economist, taking in every point of view possible and I'm still changing my mind with new information and arguments!

The reason I suggest that book by Friedman is that he's not remotely politically conservative, he's a pragmatist and even says some pretty bad things about Bush directly in the book, yet he's the one who convinced me that it's OK to shop at Walmart and save a TON of money rather than spending all day driving around looking for mom-and-pop stores and spending 3 times as much as I can afford right now to stockpile my 400 sq. ft. apartment with the basics.

Second, Walmart is a profit-maximizing corporation that already has been damaged financially by all the bad press they get, the illegal things they've done to employees, etc. An economy is a process, a dynamic system, and it's constantly changing. Any immediate results you see from a change in one aspect of the system are going to be followed by an infinite wave of changes and feedback loops throughout the rest of the system.

What's the point of that abstract theoretical paragraph? Don't think Walmart is going to go away. They're already changing, they HAVE to change, they're dependent on you and me and when we get honked off at them they change. Sure, their size makes them such a huge and easy target (no pun intended) that there will ALWAYS be boycotts of them for one reason or another, and they'll just keep adjusting to whatever political and market pressures are applied to them. They're an integral part of the system, neither good nor bad, they're just a corporation doing its thing and it will adapt and evolve the way other species do. If they fail to evolve, they'll become extinct. But their ears are burning and their desire for profit maximization will drive them to become more socially and environmentally responsible.

Buying products from China? Get over it. Not gonna change until that economy develops enough so that their workers need to be paid more than those of the next source of cheap stuff. Is it bad that we're helping a billion people rise to our standard of living? I don't think so.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Alot of people dont understand when they say Walmart buys from china , so does kmart, target and most other cheaper stores.
Yup. Even the people who boycott China use computers made with Chinese parts in order to communicate with each other via systems that are designed in India and Japan and manufactured in China. They use cell phones made in China to talk over satellites assembled in China... We have to get over our phobias about global trade, it's not going to go away. It's probably the best hope for world peace in existence, if the world becomes one mass marketplace of ideas, services and products.

We can find bad things to say about our own governments, even our local craftspeople and shop owners. Should we boycott all of them too? It's impossible to isolate oneself from the system of trade that has completely taken over the world. The only nations mired in poverty are the ones who haven't figured out how to play the global game. China has mastered it. They're smart and we're lazy!

Old 11-30-2006, 06:37 PM

892 posts, read 2,217,487 times
Imagine if all of the stuff that is made in other counties for us was made here in the USA, we would not have any open plains in the mid west. It would be solid factories.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
Imagine if all of the stuff that is made in other counties for us was made here in the USA, we would not have any open plains in the mid west. It would be solid factories.
Your user name and the above post are a perfect match. Any perfect place will NOT be a place that is carpeted with sweatshops. It will have many wide-open spaces and well-preserved natural areas. I had not thought about that aspect of it. Thanks!

One of the important points Thomas Friedman makes is that the quality of many jobs in the USA has improved because of global trade --- we are innovators and we have a government that facilitates our entrepreneurial spirit. That's why we're still global economic leaders, but I do worry about the millions of former well-paid blue-collar workers who have been "downsized" without adequate preparation for the rapid changes that were thrust upon them. We need to find ways to adapt to globalization that will help stop the widening gap between the haves and have-nots. Of course I have a ton of proposals for dealing with that but they wouldn't fit in this forum, nor would they be appropriate. I need to develop my own blog site with a forum for people to debate my ideas.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:23 AM

613 posts, read 749,750 times
Would much rather shop at Target.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM

I love Target!

And Trader Joe's!

And Whole Foods!

And Costco! What am I saying? I've never even BEEN to a Costco, but I've heard from many sources that they're much better with their employees and social/environmental policies. So I like them for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products