U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:49 PM

7,279 posts, read 7,726,981 times

Advertisements

Are there any stores where you used to shop, where you just don't anymore??

On the radio I heard a store name I haven't heard in ages -- The Container Store. I used to be such a fan. I used to love Bed Bath, & Beyond, too. But now I guess for me I see it as "wising up" about how much I do NOT need to spend on things. I'm just more frugal. And there's not too much that Walmart or Target or Ikea don't have that I need to go to The Container Store or BBB to find.

When I think back on how I spend $25 on a tiny bathroom trash can at BBB. And now I'm perfectly happy to find something I like well enough at Walmart.

And also I'm at an age where I've already set up my household -- and I'm trying get rid of stuff and downsize, not buy more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:52 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,785,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Are there any stores where you used to shop, where you just don't anymore??
Plenty.
I stopped going when they stopped carrying tall clothing for women.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:52 AM

7,455 posts, read 4,635,992 times
Places I don't shop at anymore...Sears, J C Penney, Eddie Bauer, Radio Shack.

Places I rarely shop at...Walmart. Too many items I need are out of stock too often.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM

10,757 posts, read 9,775,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Places I don't shop at anymore...Sears, J C Penney, Eddie Bauer, Radio Shack.

Places I rarely shop at...Walmart. Too many items I need are out of stock too often.
I didn't think it would take long for a WM basher to jump on board.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:05 PM

11,768 posts, read 21,013,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Plenty.
I stopped going when they stopped carrying tall clothing for women.
LOL - I stopped shopping at many stores because Petites went away.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,282 posts, read 56,984,583 times
We don't shop anymore at the local ones that have closed up in the last 2-10 years, like Mervyn's, K-Mart, JC Penney, Radio Shack and Ace Hardware. Fortunately I can get most of the clothes I need at Costco. We stopped going to Eddie Bauer in the late 90s when my wife got laid off from their corporate office after the Spiegel fiasco drained them.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I didn't think it would take long for a WM basher to jump on board.

I'm not a Walmart basher. But the simple fact is that out of a list of 10 items, about half will be out of stock. It used to be only one or two would be out of stock. That doesn't make me a basher, it makes me a person who has had to find alternative sources for everyday items. I would love to be able to buy everything at one location at a good price, but it's very frustrating to only be able to get half the items on my shopping list.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We don't shop anymore at the local ones that have closed up in the last 2-10 years, like Mervyn's, K-Mart, JC Penney, Radio Shack and Ace Hardware. Fortunately I can get most of the clothes I need at Costco. We stopped going to Eddie Bauer in the late 90s when my wife got laid off from their corporate office after the Spiegel fiasco drained them.

Until Costco carries tall sizes, I won't be getting any clothing there. There was a time when every jacket, coat and parka I owned was Eddie Bauer, but then they went preppie/yuppie and I haven't been back since.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:27 PM

7,279 posts, read 7,726,981 times
I don't have any children, but used to go with my SIL and nieces and nephews when they would go to Forman Mills once or twice a year for kids clothes. But I haven't been to a Forman Mills in decades now.

As for Walmart, I do love me some Walmart. I do like concept of 'one-stop shopping' so if I'm in there for one thing, I can also pick up something else I might need. BUT, I also like to support individual sector stores as well. For example, IF I'm already in Walmart for paper goods, and also happen to need duct tape or at another time mustard…..I'll get those things while Im there. However, IF I'm not already at Walmart, I'll go to Home Depot for the Duct tape, or go to my regular supermarket for mustard. I like Walmart, but I don't do my food shopping there and I usually stay stocked up on other things, so I could go six months or more between visits.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:07 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,226,458 times
There are some Canadian clothing chains that are hopeless at this point, the merchandise is too cheaply made and poor quality, and they've gone downhill quickly in the past 5 years or so. Some U.S. brands that are disappointing are J Crew, The Gap, Banana Republic. Too expensive and not really in style with the times IMO.

The Bay is a Canuck chain department store that I've given up on... either too expensive, or too low quality, No happy medium there.

I was inside a Simon's department store for the first time today (a Canadian chain under expansion across the country). It's a pretty hip, youthful department store. Everything looked pretty trendy and affordable. Much more in touch than The Bay. "Fast fashion" has taken over housewares as well as clothing, and Simon's is right on top of that trend.

I have the impression that styles like the Kate Spade, Coach, Michael Kors, Ted Baker lines have sort of had a moment and they aren't so cool right now. They're still popular, but so commonplace and everywhere that they've lost their trendsetter position. Other stores are stepping into the void instead.

I was inside Anthropologie today, and I don't know how they do it, but they seem to renew themselves so that they're perpetually kind of laid back, sophisticated, and totally chill at the same time... nice atmosphere inside the shop. The clothes are a little pricey, more like a splurge for me, but boy, I'd love to just move inside one of their stores and live there. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or